The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What Are Your Wheels?

I’ve decided on the STF’s and either Bones Reds or Lucky Hardballs with indy trucks and i might pick up a Toy Machine board as a spare for when my current one wears out.

I was just wondering if there is a big difference in the trucks i got with my ZooYork complete and new indy ones and wether it’s worth upgrading now or waiting till they break or wear down? I have the money for it so it’s a question of wether its worth spending it now or not.

Nah mate ride em til they die. It’s not worth changing all the time and usually you will be so use to the current ones it’s easier to just keep going til they break or wear down.

There is difference between trucks but it’s not really worth a change. Your new setup will feel new either way with the new wheels and board.

I might just wait for all of it. The decks ok i was just going to pick up a spare and the wheels although small still go well. When somthing goes i’ll pick up a whole new setup.

Most factory completes come with some basic trucks. The quality of these is far better than they use to be, they do turn and grind alright. Definitely not the same build quality as a proper truck company. But if the trucks you are skating at the moment are fine keep on them. Breaking in trucks can be a bit of a nightmare with getting grind marks again.

The trucks i have squeak allot, is this a problem? I think it’s because the plastic in the pivot cup has split and torn and is hanging out and rubbing on the trucks.

Wearing in is not a problem because while iv’e been able to Ollie i haven’t been anywhere where i’m able to grind so iv’e never done it. My local park has some boxes but they are higher than my knees and i’m not able to Ollie that high, plus they are in close proximity on a small concrete area.

Yeah pivot cups can be very annoying when they don’t work properly, squeak central and can cause some truck lean. If the squeak continues try new bushings.

bkrtron - 30 June 2013 08:37 AM
C J Parker - 28 June 2013 07:36 AM
bkrtron - 27 June 2013 09:51 AM
C J Parker - 26 June 2013 08:22 PM

I haven’t skated Ricta myself, but from guys that I know that have unless they were cheap wouldn’t get them again. I’m not talking about guys that will just hate a product for the sake of it as well. Flat spots were the main issue they had with them. The new chrome ones look interesting, but I have always been of the mind set that if there is too much going on, then too much will go wrong.
Coretech did some of the best wheels, but unfortunately they are no longer. I would say go with Bones, unless you are getting the Rictas dirt cheap and then you can review them for us.
I haven’t had Indy’s for years after the quality dropped and I broke some. The new forged series look good if I was to try some it would be them. Current trucks I am skating are the Destructo D2 and I am really happy with them, they turn nice and grind well. From what I understand the Manton trucks come from the same factory as Destructo and Theeve so you will be getting a great product. Come with similar bushings to the Bones medium hardcore bushings so you are getting a quality product at a good price.
Let us know how you get on.

I have had Ricta’s for a while now until I just got some generic shop wheels in Finland. They are super hard and feel like plastic toy wheels under the board. Not sure what I would get next because most wheels are so over priced.

Agree on hard, plastic feeling wheels I do not like that. That is the annoying thing with Spitfire they feel good at the start just don’t last.
That seems to be the thing with skate stuff in Scandinavia it is really expensive full stop for the good stuff.

Yeah I think Thrasher in Scandi is like $20 ... I bought my Ricta’s in Oz they were like $70 a set. It’s mental but I did feel like Kareem Campbell at the time smile City Stars!

Go for the Bones I reckon..any one had experience with Gold wheels?

Can’t believe but am pretty stoked that City Stars is back as well as Axion footwear good old 90’s gear.

No experience with Gold wheels though so can’t give you honest feedback. They are done by Kayo Corp who also do DGK, Expedition One and Organika who do some great product so I am guessing they be good.