The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Where have you been??

Poll: What regions have you been too
Total Votes: 35
All the Majors (Nth America/Europe/Japan & Aus/NZ)
All of the "Little Aus" (NZ/Japan/Whistler)
Only Aus/NZ
Never left the state/country

Ohhhh okay in my boredom I will list my resorts

Australia
Perisher
Thredbo
Charlotte Pass
Swelyn
Cabramurra (does it count as a resort?? LOL)

New Zealand
Remarkables
Coronet Peak
Treble Cone
Cardrona
Mt Hutt
(all but Remarkables I did when I was a kid though and barely remember them)

USA
Heavenly (worked)
Kirkwood
Sugarbowl
Steamboat
Winter Park (worked)
Copper Mountain
Aspen

Japan
Hakuba
Iwatake
Goryu
Niseko
Rusutsu

Europe
Austria
Stubai Glazier
Axamer Lizum

Schladming region
Planai
Rittisberg

Meribel/ 3 Valleys - France

Wow! and I seriously feel like I have only scratched the surface! So many resort/places/countries I want to go to! Canada is one, i lived there in summer so didn’t ski. Its a damn shame my current job forces me to take 3 weeks off at xmas/nye…. I guess I have to try some more wink

Seriously though that time of year is not the most reliable snow so if you could go anywhere where would people choose?

Dan83 - 28 April 2012 10:11 AM

Why did you hate Whistler, Sam? Best resort I’ve been to so far, by a huge margin too. One thing that’s not great can be the crowds and how quickly pow gets tracked out. Snow conditions can be a mixed bag, but I guess they can be anywhere in the world. I love everything else about it cool smile

The terrain just didn’t live up to the hype. Everything was moguled to fuck! Every time I boosted off a cat track I landed in a mogul field, and I even saw people hiking purely to create and ride moguls. The place was basically just mogul-ville to me. I rode 2 days - Hiked from Rio both days, so I didn’t pay for lift tickets either - so I can’t really complain, but I have no intentions of returning.

SamNZ - 28 April 2012 03:31 PM
Dan83 - 28 April 2012 10:11 AM

Why did you hate Whistler, Sam? Best resort I’ve been to so far, by a huge margin too. One thing that’s not great can be the crowds and how quickly pow gets tracked out. Snow conditions can be a mixed bag, but I guess they can be anywhere in the world. I love everything else about it cool smile

The terrain just didn’t live up to the hype. Everything was moguled to fuck! Every time I boosted off a cat track I landed in a mogul field, and I even saw people hiking purely to create and ride moguls. The place was basically just mogul-ville to me. I rode 2 days - Hiked from Rio both days, so I didn’t pay for lift tickets either - so I can’t really complain, but I have no intentions of returning.

Couldn’t agree with you more Sam…So many moguls and I couldn’t really find anywhere to explore and feel like I was doing something new. The lift lines killed me more and I can’t help but get annoyed at the teenyboppers at the village who have an 8 word vocabulary (generalisation I know)

Japan-
Mutsushi Kamafuseyama

Sweden-
Litsbacken
Lofsdalen
Åre
Gustavsbergsbacken
Edsåsdalen
Vålådalen
SunnerstaBacken
Hammarbybacken

Norway-
Trolldalen? cant remember the exact name!

Australia-
Perisher
Charlottes pass
Thredbo
Selwyn

NZ-
Cadrona
Snowpark
Remarks
Coronet

Australia
Thredbo
Perisher

NZ
Remarkables
Coronet Peak
Cadrona

USA
Killington
Bristol
Keystone
Arapahoe Basin
Breckenridge
Vail
Steamboat
Copper
Beaver Creek
Winter Park
Heavenely
Kirkwood
Sierra
Sugar Bowl
Squaw Valley

Australia
Perisher
Thredbo
Falls
Hotham
Buller

USA
Mt. Baker (only 1 day - it rained, it poured)
Mt. Hood
Heavenly (only 1 day - closing)
Mammoth
Squaw Valley
North Star

Japan
Hakuba
Iwatake
Goryu/47
Cortina
Tsugaike
Myoko Suginohara
Madarao (only 1 day - so small)
Tangram (only 1 day)
Togakuchi
Arai Mountain (went under)

Canada
Mt. Washington
Red Mountain
Big White
Silver Star
Sun Peaks
Kicking Horse
Revelstoke
Sunshine
Lake Louise

India
Gulmarg

Kazakhstan
Shymbulak

Australia
Hotham

New Zealand
Snow Park
Treble Cone
Cardrona

Japan
Niseko

France
La Bresse

Heading to Poland/Czech Republic end of the year don’t no what to expect, don’t no anyone whose has shred there:P I might find the culprit of the stolen lift HAHA!

boardergirl - 17 May 2012 06:28 AM

Heading to Poland/Czech Republic end of the year don’t no what to expect, don’t no anyone whose has shred there:P I might find the culprit of the stolen lift HAHA!

I’ve actually got a Czech mate who has a brother that’s a Ski Instructor. It sounded pretty good from what I heard, and a quick google of pictures shows promise!

Where in Czech are you going? Are you going to be working on the ski fields? What will you do there?

SamNZ - 17 May 2012 08:03 AM

I’ve actually got a Czech mate who has a brother that’s a Ski Instructor. It sounded pretty good from what I heard, and a quick google of pictures shows promise!
Where in Czech are you going? Are you going to be working on the ski fields? What will you do there?

CR-Ramzova, ?enkovice and Zdobnice might have more places. Going to Europe for 3 months, staying with friends in Poland and with my host family in France(they have a made holidays house 30 mins away from an pretty alright resort). Hehe no ski field work more me, cause of uni I can never do a whole season.  Where is your friend’s brother working?

Mine are:

Australia
Perisher
Thredbo
Charlotte Pass
Swelyn
Buller
Falls
Hotham

New Zealand
Remarkables
Coronet Peak
Treble Cone
Cardrona
Mt Hutt
Ohau

Japan
Happo One
Goru / 47
Itwake
Cortina

boardergirl - 17 May 2012 12:15 PM
SamNZ - 17 May 2012 08:03 AM

CR-Ramzova, ?enkovice and Zdobnice might have more places. Going to Europe for 3 months, staying with friends in Poland and with my host family in France(they have a made holidays house 30 mins away from an pretty alright resort). Hehe no ski field work more me, cause of uni I can never do a whole season.  Where is your friend’s brother working?

Ah that’s mint. A good hook up for sure! Uni doesn’t prevent you from working though! I have mates who still managed to work overseas while on their holidays, they just finish a bit earlier than most staff. I have no idea where he works sorry, I think it’s just a smaller local type hill.

My list is small but hoping to get to a few more places overseas soon.

Australia:
Perisher
Thredbo

New Zealand:
Cardrona
Coronet Peak

My list is just as small as yours Jazza, im real keen to get my apprentership over and done with so i can piss off and start seeing the world

Aus:
Perisher
Falls Creek

NZ:
Remarkables (i was devastated because lack of snow ment “the stash” was closed)
Coronet peak

How do you guys, like chucky, oz girl, kneeboard, ect. get to soo many different places? and how long would you say youve spent at each?

Hey Dylan,

Chucky was able to for his job.

I lived in the states for 2 season (Heavenly, CA and Winter Park, Co) and so did day trips and the like. I also lived in London, That’s how I did Europe.

I highly recommend work holidays once you have finished your apprenticeship. Its a great thing and really allows you to see the world.

But also travelling is huge for me, I spend all my spare cash on it. Always have. I don’t have a fancy car, I am not a clothes horse. I just got my first fancy flat screen tv for my birthday (hit mum and dad up for it) I have had hand me downs for everything prior.

Re how much I have stayed in each place. I worked at Thredbo for 9mths, Grew up skiing Cabra and Selwyn, Currently sort of work at Perisher. NZ I went a couple of times as a kid and a couple of times as an adult. Japan I have been twice for 2 week holidays.

But when i was 16 I went to America, I was an apprentice too but lived at home and went on this massive 3 week holiday. Went to LA and disneyland. A week in steamboat doing a fancy ski improvement program, then went to Washington DC and a place a called Virginia Beach to visit family friends for about 5 days. Then San Fran for 3 days. That was totally self funded, my 19 sister came with me. No parents.

I earnt about $250 a week back then (but lived at home but still paid board!) You can do it!!

ozgirl that is amazing smile thanks for sharing how you did it!
I think i will do a working holiday after my course , seems like a good idea, but i dont finish until the end of 2015 raspberry

Out of all the mountains you been too so far which one is your favourite?