The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Skier cut from X Games finals for Sarah Burke tribute.

US skier, Langely McNeal, disqualified from X Games finals for wearing armband in memory of deceased skier, Sarah Burke

US skicross racer Langely McNeal said she was disqualified from Sunday’s finals at the X Games because of an armband she was wearing to honour Sarah Burke.

Sarah Burke, a 29-year-old Canadian freestyle skier, died in January after suffering severe brain injuries in a training accident in Utah.

McNeal, from Sun Valley, Idaho, said the French team complained to X Games officials about the armband she wore during the semi-finals, claiming it made her racing suit too tight and was a violation of international skicross rules, The Denver Post reported.

The French officials also contested a hair-tie McNeal was wearing on her ski boot.

McNeal’s disqualification allowed French racer Marielle Berger to advance to the finals.

“It was really poorly handled by the X Games,” McNeal said.

“And a pretty low blow by the French.”

X Games officials are yet to provide an explanation for the disqualification.

That’s very poor form from the French team. Surely they knew what the armband was all about.  downer

What the!!

What a disgrace. By both the French team for complaining and the officials for listening.  mad

Deplorable

If that was me I’d be telling the officials to stick their finals up their you-know-whats. I’d sit them out on principal, but I’d make sure they knew how disgusting it was, that’s for sure.

French skiers = FIS = what do you expect?

That is disgusting. It was a tribute and seriously how low do you have to be to complain!? It wouldn’t have given an advantage in any way!

More details are that there is a clothing thing for skiers (cause clearly Shaun White’s weren’t too tight!) that the clothing can’t be too tight and the arm band around the legs didn’t help!

Karma baby Karma!

Yet another reason why NONE of us should be OK with a bunch of megalomaniacal Euro skiers having control of the sport of snowboarding. Yet only a small percentage of snowboarders actually care enough to try and do something about it.

well, now that the facts are all out there, she wasn’t dq’d because of the sarah armband, but because she had straps tying down her pant legs. It’s a little sad reading all the unwarranted hate out there against the French.

in all honesty, if you break the rules you get DQ’D simple, even if she was DQ’D for the armband. if there is a rule against wearing anything like that then too bad*

*dont know the rules so cant confirm if there is actually a rule on arm bands etc.

Gamblor - 01 February 2012 06:44 AM

It’s a little sad reading all the unwarranted hate out there against the French.

I don’t think it’s “unwarranted” at all. Just because there are rules does not mean they should be enforced in such a petty, vindictive manner.

This is just like all those pathetic soccer players who pull out the theatrics when someone lightly brushes past them. All they’re doing is ensuring the rules are enforced, but let’s face it, it’s a low act.

It’s not the fact that the rules were enforced, it’s the fact that the French brought it up in the first place. The ONLY reason the French complained was that it offered their skier an advantage to do so - completely disregarding the fact that this rule violation ofered no performance advantage whatsoever, AND that she’d been dressed in exactly the same manner for the entire competition with no complaints. If it was such a big deal, WHY had the French not complained earlier?

I agree with Chucky (oh my!) basically they used the idea that the arm bands, used around her legs, was making the clothing tighter and improving the aerodynamics.

There was an image that i saw can’t find. That showed the pathetic-ness of it.

Yes rules are rules but still! Come on! And i think that if the organisers didn’t notice it/stop her competiting then I don’t think that protests are fair. I think protest are only fair if it is something out of the judges eye.. like if they elbow each other. I the french skier had got first would she have cared? It was just a protest for protest sake.

ozgirl - 01 February 2012 11:16 AM

I agree with Chucky (oh my!)

Everybody agrees with me.

Eventually.  wink

It was one of your best arguments yet. No emotion! LOL

maybe no one noticed until then? who knows but sh!t happens, you break the rules you must acceptt the risk of being caught and accepting the consequences.

i break rules all the time but if i get caught, i will wear the punishment.