The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Check This Out!

Is this thing legit or just a massive hoax???

http://www.sydneyskidome.com.au/

I do remember hearing about it awhile back, but havent heard any new info for quite awhile.

Makes me want to move to Sydney

that would be so cool!! Ive never heard of it. Fingers crossed it actually ends up happening.

If you watch the vid it looks kinda like a treadmill i.e. you ski without really going anywhere. Not sure if thats correct though…

Looks a bit strange actually, I dunno if it would be worth going until at least 6 months after it opened, can you imagine the chaos in the joint?  They have opened up a wavepark with a similar idea in the states that looks pretty cool, it is or will be open 24hrs a day, if they do the same with that ski dome it would be cool, going boarding at midnight ha ha!

I wonder what the range in the middle would be like, or what happens if you fall and get taken into the cave at the top?
Will there be a park?

My mind boggles

wow this looks interesting, but very vague, maybe a hoax?

EDIT - In fact reading this page leads me to believe its a fake or someones very foolish dream….. gondolas and bobsleds

I reckon it’s no hoax but it’d be bloody expensive to run :O
That’d make me want to move to sydney i reckon…
Spaz, i think they said something about a park on their site

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like the stupidest thing ever?

The physics of something like this being possible are comical. I mean seriously, how heavy and how big would the rotating slope have to be? It would have to be twice the size of the worlds largest ferris-wheel and carry a weigh close to that of an oil tanker.

I bet the bloody Nigerians are behind this too! lol

Pastor of Muppets - 22 September 2009 04:36 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like the stupidest thing ever?

The physics of something like this being possible are comical. I mean seriously, how heavy and how big would the rotating slope have to be? It would have to be twice the size of the worlds largest ferris-wheel and carry a weigh close to that of an oil tanker.

I bet the bloody Nigerians are behind this too! lol

lol bloody cheeky Nigerians. There is supposedly one being built in the UK too…..  www.urban-ski.com

From the website: Using “Maglev” technology, the snow deck, with its 200mm snow cover will “float” on an electro-magnetic field without the need for wheels, this ensures frictionless, vibrationless, silent, and maintenance-free rotation.
Im no financial consultant or statistician but I really dont see how a dome like this can be profitable unless they plan to be charging a bomb for entry…..

Heres a question for ya, would you pay the same lift ticket prices for this joint as you would at Perisher/Buller/ Thredders/Hotham etc?

nthnbeachesguy - 22 September 2009 06:55 PM

Heres a question for ya, would you pay the same lift ticket prices for this joint as you would at Perisher/Buller/ Thredders/Hotham etc?

If it was actually good - yeah definitely. To have snow nearby and year round, sweet!

I remember the planned Sydney snow dome which was meant to open by 2009 or 2010… I think it was the same website but with less information. I tried calling to contact number a few years ago but couldn’t get through. It looks like they have updated the webiste with a new look and fresh dates. It would be awesome to have something like this in Sydney. I’m going to get in touch with them and I’ll let you know what they say.

nthnbeachesguy - 22 September 2009 06:55 PM

If it was half decent, definitely. If it was just the slope rotating round and round, i might get a bit bored after 10 minutes or so….

I just had a long chat with the director of the project. The snow dome is legit and the plans sound incredible. Stay tuned for more info…

I don’t know if I’d pay the price of going to the real snow, but would this have an effect on prices for the NSW resorts? Thredbo and Perisher having abit of competition from a rival that is both closer and more accessible to all skill levels.

Fingers crossed, I’m all for both!