The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Downhill Longboarding

So while I’ve been waiting to head over to Canada shred I’ve been getting a bit bored and have had a few ideas..

Downhill Longboarding is one of them. wink I was thinking of getting something like this:

To do stuff like this:

So i guess what I’m asking is:
- Has anyone had a crack at this?
- What board have you got or what board did you use?
- Where did you go?
- How much of your skin is left on the road? lol LOL

A couple of my mates longboard. I’m pretty scared to bomb hills since one of my mates came off his board and slammed into the curb which broke his arm. I’ll link you to the boards they ride when I’m on my computer.

I have a Sector 9, but I’m not into skin grafts either!!!!!

These guys, however…......

BKM - 24 January 2012 08:31 PM

A couple of my mates longboard. I’m pretty scared to bomb hills since one of my mates came off his board and slammed into the curb which broke his arm. I’ll link you to the boards they ride when I’m on my computer.

Oh yeah, some links would be cool, still seeing what’s out there.

Mizu Kuma - 24 January 2012 10:26 PM

I have a Sector 9, but I’m not into skin grafts either!!!!!

These guys, however…......

Damn, that looks pretty fast.. gulp But yeah something like that, Mt Dandenong is pretty close and has some massive hills. Also thinking around Mt Baw Baw and South Gippsland area. Strap on the motorbike helmet, gloves, elbow/knee pads and see what happens rocker haha.. Got a few mates who have been buying long boards just need a volunteer driver for the up-hills lol..

After Canada though lol.. Don’t need a pre-trip hospital visit.. teacherboy

I have a freebord. Shit for flat roads but downhill they are SO much fun. As close as you can get to snowboarding (once you get good at it)
However they are hard to learn, so u have to give it time.

Longboards on the other hand are easy to get started but harder to learn how to slide.
I’ve been working for a Distributor (skate,snow,surf) the last few months and we have Arbor long boards. Which are really sweet!
We have a rack of demo boards that I always skate to lunch with.
They have a few boards with drop in trucks and a cool one called the Vugenhausen which is a top mount but slides easier. Check em out.
But Land Yachts are definitely a good choice too.

What company do ya work for Andy?????

Cheers for the links BKM. The Landyachtz boards are probably my favourite so far.

Hey Andy, I got a Freebord for Christmas but only ridden it about 5 times, got BS 180 slides to 180 ollies out and stuff going.. it’s pretty sweet just need to get some more time on it. Just not super confident on bombing huge hills on it yet lol, still getting a feel for it.

The other weekend me and a few mates went down to an industrial estate towing longboards behind the car lol.. I’ve got a pretty long pin tail board so it’s not really good for sliding/drifting etc. I want to get something I can try and hit some mountain roads on. smirk

This is what I’m riding atm: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/7/P195/
Pretty long bamboo board, so it’s really flexy, good for carving etc. but hard to get into slides and can’t really do much on it but carve. Was hitting around to 65 Km/h apparently lol LOL

I had a look at a few of the other Sector 9 boards. Probably the ‘2X Plat Carbonite’ if I was going to go with Sector 9. The Arbor ‘Assault’ and the ‘Vugenhausen’ are pretty sweet. I really like the how the Landyachtz decks are shaped though.

I have that exact board.

Except with ZOMBIE blue wheels.  Alot harder then the Orang wheels.

These things are INSANE!  I love it.  Takes awhile to get used to and to get confident on, which is what you need when you flying down a hill on such a large board.

The board is setup to be low, ts great for sliding, but also, with foot movements, also great for taking tight corners fast.

Its probably the closest things your going to get to snowboarding on the road.  (Other then a freeboard)

Easily one of the best investments iv ever made. Highly recommend this setup!

Prepare to stack.  BUY A HELMET!!!!  Even if you dont plan on going that fast.

My mate knocked himself out while going 15k’s down a hill….

I never ride without my helmet and knee pads. Looking into getting elbows soon and always wear a leather jacket when I ride.
(Yes, it gets hot)

Main thing is, learn to foot break and slide.

Sliding is probabaly the best, and quickest way of controlling your speed, especially if you can slide at fast speeds.
There’s HEAPS of things all over youtube with tips on sliding and ridings in general. Have yet to find a good downhill longboarding forum tho.

Main thing is.  Enjoy it.  Its not an overly expensive sport once you have all your gear, main costs are maintaining your board.

Loaded makes awesome boards. Check out the Dervish: http://loadedboards.com/boards/dervish/

Loaded are also a really god brand.

Would say they arnt as “huge” as LandYatchz”  but still make really good boards, and off the shelf setups.

Will post some pointers about choosing a board when I am on a computer for longer.

Koper.
When you look at downhill longboarding, what are you thinking of doing? Are you up for just carving around or wanting to bomb the hills possibly some sliding?
Reason for these questions is that the boards all responsed differently like snowboards. So you need to know the direction you want to go with that before choosing deck and wheels.
Trucks wise though the Paris and Randal are some great trucks and come in a few different widths.

C J Parker - 29 January 2012 06:14 PM

Koper.
When you look at downhill longboarding, what are you thinking of doing? Are you up for just carving around or wanting to bomb the hills possibly some sliding?
Reason for these questions is that the boards all responsed differently like snowboards. So you need to know the direction you want to go with that before choosing deck and wheels.
Trucks wise though the Paris and Randal are some great trucks and come in a few different widths.

Cheers for your reply C J. Iwant to bomb some big hills, and get some slides going. Riding hills in the Dandenongs etc. I’ve got my current longboard for just cruising around/carving.

Koper, what roads in the dandys u skate? Always heaps of traffic there, and some of the roads are pretty sketch surface. Let me know if u want a filmer, I live in ftg near the foot ofthe hills.

^^ Oh yes, get this happening!