The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Gear Shopping

My season here in the US is going to start in the upcoming months.
Websites are dropping with fresh new gear.

I’ve been shopping and I have almost exhausted looking through the Burton and Libtech websites.
I have looked through most of the Special Blend and 4square sites.
I am waiting to see the 32 site.

Lets use this space to post pics of what we like and dont like about certain products.
Not to give review… only opinions.

I am kind of dissapointed in SB and 4SQ, personally.
This item:
http://www.foursquareouterwear.com/gear/218921/001

Is one of the only thing I think I’d be interested in owning from either site.
and it is not a bad deal 60 US dollars for this polyester jacket.

I was really looking for some new pants, non-Burton, because I own so much Burton items.
I dont like the SB or the 4SQ options.

I hate to say it but ROME just struck out too on pants for me.
It may just have to be Burton again.
I own 2 Burton pants, and I have had one SB pant, which I gave away a few yrs back, because I just diddnt need that at the time and my friend did. I liked them, but just preferred my Burton pant more.

I will keep searching, but it may be easier to just pick a pant from Burton that I know I’ll like.

Hmmm, I dropped by a board shop today in San Francisco, and there are plenty of deals to be had.

420 + tax for a 2008-09 Custom X? Is that a smoking price?

Looking for boots to replace my current pair, which are way too soft (32 Lashed) and beyond stinky. Nothing in my size.

Boy the service was way indifferent, the guy sitting at the counter just didn’t even want to talk or anything.

snowslider - 11 September 2009 05:33 PM

I dont like the SB or the 4SQ options.

My last two pairs of pants have been 4square.

Both have ripped within the 1st season of wearing them.

Considering I only do about 20 days a season, I’m not impressed.

Is 3CS available in the States?  I think it’s in Canada but not sure about the US.  Awesome outerwear, been wearing the pants the last few seasons and hope to pick up a jacket at end of season sales.

Tobi,

Sad to hear that, I had always thought 4sq was a quality company.
an now with Burton owning them over the last couple years, I had thought that would only improve.
Sad to hear of your experiences.

I have seen some outerwear get a bad reputation for riders who carry the board in a way that the board’s sharp edge would rub against the jacket and ruin it over time, but that is less likely to happen to your pants.

Smurfette,
I looked at the 3CS website, I’m not familiar with them.
http://www.3csouterwear.com/#/home
They seem pretty nice. They only list 3 riders as sponsors, and they are all from AUS.

I found it interesting that they have a line caller “Radar”. Burton had a line called Radar, that was a women’s line for maybe 3 years. My wife has a Radar jacket and the logo that 3CS uses is VERY similar to what Burton used. Interesting.

It looks like according to the website they are only in Aus, Eurpoe and Canada.
I could always order online, if I really wanted to.
I am sure they will tap into the US market eventually.

worldtripper - 11 September 2009 07:51 PM

Hmmm, I dropped by a board shop today in San Francisco, and there are plenty of deals to be had.

420 + tax for a 2008-09 Custom X? Is that a smoking price?

Looking for boots to replace my current pair, which are way too soft (32 Lashed) and beyond stinky. Nothing in my size.

Boy the service was way indifferent, the guy sitting at the counter just didn’t even want to talk or anything.

WorldTripper,

You should be able to find older items for close to 50% off from peak season’s retail prices.
Selling less than, or even at 50% is almost taking a loss for a shop, and many smaller shops cant afford to sell for 50% off., but I would use 40% as a standard goal for sale pricing.

The Burton Custom retails for $499.00, at 40% off that would make it $300.00.
So, $420 isnt bad, but you may be able to find lower.
  But still, a few extra bucks is worth it to support a local shop that gives back to the sport and hires the right people, sponsors local events etc.