The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ankle Guards for Skateboarders?

Poll: Are ankle guards appropriate to use on the sidewalk when learning?
Total Votes: 2
No. Too restrictive
Yes. They are important for safety.

Hi. I am an attorney in New York. I have a client who was new to skateboarding. He was about 15 when this accident occurred. He was told to stay around his apartment building by his Mom, when he was practicing after school. Turns out that his skateboard went into an uneven broken hole on the sidewalk, and when his skateboard tipped over he fell, fracturing his ankle. I didn’t believe that ankle guards were appropriate for skateboarders because they restrict movement, but recently saw some ads for ankle guards that claim not to restrict. Do any of you know of anyone who is expert on the subject of skateboard safety? safety equipment? If so, I would appreciate your response. I can be reached at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).  Also, what do you think about ankle guards?
Thank you.

I don’t think it’s something skaters would use unless they have a prior ankle injury.

Yeah I agree ^^

I don’t think people use ankle guards or anything unless they have had a prior ankle injury. When I rolled my ankle I started wearing an ankle guard until my ankle fully healed then I took it off. If it did wear an ankle guard I suppose it might restrict some movement but probably not enough to make your ankle extremely stiff.

I actually wear a soccer type shin guard. I used to have very bad shin splints to the point if stress fractures so any impact on the shin and I’d be out for the day.  The have plastic caps over each ankle bone too so protects them from bashing too. No support tho

They don’t restrict movement in the slightest so they have given me great confidence boost in hucking the board round with out having to worry bout the dreaded shin bash. And u don’t notice them under ur jeans

I have used supports in the past when I have injured my ankles. Purely for the fact that I wanted to have the support till my ankles got strong enough to hold their own. Some of my mates have used the full brace style ones that prevent complete sideways movement, just because they have broken their ankles and it helps them to get back on their board quicker.

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 13 January 2012 05:33 AM

I actually wear a soccer type shin guard. I used to have very bad shin splints to the point if stress fractures so any impact on the shin and I’d be out for the day.  The have plastic caps over each ankle bone too so protects them from bashing too. No support tho

They don’t restrict movement in the slightest so they have given me great confidence boost in hucking the board round with out having to worry bout the dreaded shin bash. And u don’t notice them under ur jeans

Unless your wearing skinny jeans and then you look like you have mutant shins.  tongue laugh

when you think about it skateboarding is really quite dangerous. and theres really no amount of safety gear you could wear to protect you 100%
If you wear ankle guards then when you fall you will probably break your wrist or some other part of you.

I had never even thought of ankle guards, because i have never hurt my ankle skateboarding. i have hurt wrists and knees mainly.

C J Parker - 15 January 2012 11:02 AM

Unless your wearing skinny jeans and then you look like you have mutant shins.  tongue laugh

LOL true!
I don’t know how people skate in super skinny jeans, so restrictive

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 16 January 2012 06:59 PM
C J Parker - 15 January 2012 11:02 AM

LOL true!
I don’t know how people skate in super skinny jeans, so restrictive

Maybe that’s why they wear them, it is actually secret protective gear and stops injuries from its restrictive feel.

You can do anything in skinnies!

So, is there a consultancy fee involved for the correct answer that leads to successful litigation?????

BKM - 21 January 2012 04:20 AM

You can do anything in skinnies!

Except wear shin pads under them with out looking like a twitch.

You got me there.