The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Adobe Creative Suite CS5.5 Production Premium

Hey people.  I currently use Final Cut Express for all my editing and want to upgrade, maily due to the fact that FCE cannot import 60fps video clips, and it’s slow rendering speed.  I did want to stick with Final Cut Pro but don’t want to touch Final Cut Pro X, and it looks like you cannot buy Final Cut Pro 7 anymore.

I’m looking at jumping ship and buying Adobe CS5.5 as it seems to have overtaken FCP as the pro’s choice, plus I really want to muck around with After Effects.

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to learn how to use Adobe Premier Pro for editing after being on FCE for so long?  Also what are peoples thoughts on Adobe CS.5.5 Production Premium?

Cheers.

I’m a bit of a video rookie, but I’ve shot a couple of music videos for bands, so been thrown in on the deep end with editing.

I use Premiere Pro, mainly because I’ve had the Adobe suite for Photoshop and Bridge, and my gf (as an architect) needs InDesign and Illustrator. Asides from the usual teething issues you get with any complex program, it has a pretty tame learning curve. It also integrates nicely with other adobe software - in particular after effects.

I found the 39827847327676234 tutorials on vimeo and youtube to be very helpful too.

On my MacBook Pro, Premiere renders run fast enough for my expectations. I can also recommend the free plugin from Magic Bullet, Colorista - the 3 way colour corrector. Does pretty much exactly the same thing as the native colour corrector but I find it somewhat easier to use.

Shout out if you have any more questions and I’ll try to answer - I’m sure there’s plenty on this forum who are much more knowledgable on this topic than me though…

Premier and FCP are pretty similar.

I used to use premiere in high school and loved it but these days its a whole different beast. I’m sure a lot of people like the new one but for me I really didn’t. They dumb it down to make it really easy to make crappy (it does it for u) kind of videos but make a good edit with it is a lot harder because i found it a lot harder and more annoying to find the things u want to use.

I used Sony Vegas and I thought it would be a lesser program compared to adobe but honestly to me it seems a lot more powerful and it can make some incredible hollywood effects if u look up how to do it on youtube or vimeo.
So I went back to Vegas and I’m happy with it.

But hey, it’s always a personal preference thing.

Thanks for the feedback. 

After reading a few articles on the net I think I’m going to go with Adobe CS5.5.  I do all my shooting on a DSLR and apparently CS5.5 works very well with DSLR files.  Also because I want to work with After Effects it will be alot quicker to edit as I would need to spend extra time exporting and importing clips if I was to use a 3rd party editing software.

I found a really good deal online.  It comes with a free $600 Red Giant Software package (Magic Bullet Looks etc).