The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboard locks question

I already know what some of you are thinking, they don’t work but the way I see it if it makes some lil punk look the other way or look at another board while im inside taking a piss or something then it’s worth the 15$, last thing I need is a court date for tackling some punk for trying to steal my board, so I ask any recommendations on a few good good ones?? Also how do they work? basically put the wire around the board tightly and then when it locks the tension stays I hope and it’s a bit harder to take, unless u have a pair of pliers lol any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I looks at a few one by Burton and the other Safeman circle ski lock thing

I use just a regular lock, I think it’s dakine or oneball jay with the 3 digit code. They’re all basically the same. It’s not the best, you can still break it quite easy I think, but it’s a good deterrent for thieves. People not gonna steal a locked up board if there is one beside it that’s not locked.

I dunno what the best practice is.  I used to have this old one from ~20 years ago that integrated a leash with a little padlock, but it looks a bit too old school now. This year I bought one of those little retractable cable ones, like the burton one.  I think the idea is not that the thing can’t be beaten, but at least a thief might take someone else’s unlocked board because it’s easier than taking yours.  The idea is just to loop the cable through the binding and around something like a pole or bar that it can’t be just lifted off.  You can probably imagine something more secure, but you don’t want to be carrying some big heavy thing around on you.

i use Dakine lock

main reason i advocate using a lock
some guy doesnt mistakenly (intentional or not) take your board

if they have pliers, wire cutters, etc
they intended to go to the snows to steal boards
not much you can do about that

essentially the lock goes around the heel loop of the binding with a fixed object…normally racks at rest area
two models
3/4 digit combination or key lock
key is self explanatory

3 digit combination uses 3 digits to lock
betters instructions come with the lock
basically, push down on the head to set the lock number
pull up to set

don’t set something half heartedly and forget the lock or else thats 15 bucks down the drain

I have a Burton combo lock. Fairly standard board lock. A wire extends up to one metre and clips back into the lock. It uses a three digit combo which you can set to whatever you want. Really easy to use. To be honest, I barely ever carry or use it. I hate carrying things in my pocket. That said, the best thing about the Burton lock is the compact shape and size. Nearly all the other brands I’ve seen are slightly bulkier. They all use a very similar system and I doubt durability would vary much either.

This is the Burton lock I have:

Yep, mine is similar to rider’s only mine is not burton. Can’t remember the brand name.

Awesome lock i saw in Japan but could not find

I’m loving all these threads lester because i secretly wanna know the answers to all these questions as well and i now i don’t have to look like a newby and ask raspberry

keep up the good work haha

rider26 - 08 November 2011 02:52 AM

I have a Burton combo lock. Fairly standard board lock. A wire extends up to one metre and clips back into the lock. It uses a three digit combo which you can set to whatever you want. Really easy to use. To be honest, I barely ever carry or use it. I hate carrying things in my pocket. That said, the best thing about the Burton lock is the compact shape and size. Nearly all the other brands I’ve seen are slightly bulkier. They all use a very similar system and I doubt durability would vary much either.

This is the Burton lock I have:

This is the same one I was looking at, when you wrap this cable around and through the bindings and lock it up does the rest of the cable that wasn’t used up get locked too, meaning after u lock it u can’t pull anymore of the cable from the lock until u unlock it right?

blackbanana - 08 November 2011 04:11 AM

I’m loving all these threads lester because i secretly wanna know the answers to all these questions as well and i now i don’t have to look like a newby and ask raspberry

keep up the good work haha

Haha thanx blackbanana I don’t mind being the newbie and boardworld rocks, I’m getting so much info it’s really helping me buy the right stuff especially since I dont have to wait days for a response

Lester86 - 08 November 2011 05:30 AM

This is the same one I was looking at, when you wrap this cable around and through the bindings and lock it up does the rest of the cable that wasn’t used up get locked too, meaning after u lock it u can’t pull anymore of the cable from the lock until u unlock it right?

That’s right.

pretty much 100% of the locks you see will be the exact same as the one rider put up, i have a ocean and earth one. never use it tho.

Thanx guys

I use one (no idea the brand) that has a coiley bit you stretch out, Its nothing impressive, but i have a bit more peace of mind that my ride will more likely be waiting for me than not- going into lodges without my gear always has me a little on edge, even if my board isn’t one anyone would ever steal.

Ended up buying the button will be coming in later today will definitely post a review if is sucks lol

You mean burton?