The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Edge sharpening and snowboard waxing how often? how?

so I figured Id get these questions answered before the season starts because then I wanna spend more time shredding then reading lol

I live in the Midwest ice is common so I decided to get me a whole pricey tuning + waxing kit from racewax.com <——great site by the way for tuning gear but n e who I decided to buy it and it myself and save money after a while instead of taking it to the shop every so often

Waxing:  got a new board this year and I wanna keep it in great shape and fast as possible, so I’ve been hearing about waxing every 3-4 days out on the slopes or even every other time you go out (seems lil excessive) but hey if it keeps the board flying and ill be doing it myself anyway so i don’t care but any thoughts on this??????

Edge Sharpening :  is this whole nail test sufficient (taking your nail against the edge to see if scrapes it a lil or you guys have any tips or tricks in finding out when your edges need to be sharpened? also when it comes to sharpening and if im not going to be changing edge angles just sharpening should I use a file still or a diamond stone????? the kit i bought the guide itself I could put the diamond stone in there which is making me lean towards using the diamond stone for sharpening but im obviously new at this so any suggestions other the taking it to a shop are greatly appreciated

thanx all

Lester86 - 06 November 2011 08:25 AM

. . . when it comes to sharpening and if im not going to be changing edge angles just sharpening should I use a file still or a diamond stone?????

For regular maintenance, use a gummy stome for removing nicks, burrs etc. and a diamond stone for sharpening.

chucky - 06 November 2011 08:40 AM
Lester86 - 06 November 2011 08:25 AM

. . . when it comes to sharpening and if im not going to be changing edge angles just sharpening should I use a file still or a diamond stone?????

For regular maintenance, use a gummy stome for removing nicks, burrs etc. and a diamond stone for sharpening.

gotcha thanx but i gotta make sure to keep the right angle right ? the diamond stone can change angles like a file right?

Use a file for changing angles - and you’d also use a file for resurrecting overly worn edges.

wax when the board gets dry

chucky - 06 November 2011 09:18 AM

Use a file for changing angles - and you’d also use a file for resurrecting overly worn edges.

sounds good, any thoughts on the best way to check whether or not i need to sharpen them not too concerned now because its a new board but later on i mean?

also waxing any suggestions how often and all?

from what i’ve read, you can just use the diamond stone to sharpen. don’t use the file unless you want to change angles or really give the edges a major tune-up.

I generally wax my boards every 3-4 days.

You’ll mainly see dry patches forming along the edges of ya base first, so just a few drops of wax mainly along those dry areas is all that’s needed, and approx every 3 days ridin is pretty much right!!!!!

Edges, I use a gummy stone to take off fine burs, but a diamond stone or bastard file for bigger gouges, followed by a light run over with ya file guide(bugger all pressure)!!!!!

As to how often and when, I would just use my finger tips to judge when sharpening ya edges is warranted!!!!! It won’t need to be done that often and nor do you want to, as there is only so many times it can be done before renderin the edge useless!!!!!

Remember to go easy, and if possible practice on an old board first!!!!! But by all means go in confident as its really quite easier than it all sounds!!!!!

Gamblor - 06 November 2011 09:22 AM

wax only when the board goes to Alaska

Mizu Kuma - 06 November 2011 09:47 AM
Gamblor - 06 November 2011 09:22 AM

wax only when the board goes to Alaska

ahahah priceless

waxing frequency depends on the type of snow you’re riding, and also the resort you’re at. If you’re riding fluffy powder, then the wax will last longer than in spring slush. Also, if your resort has flat areas where you need to keep your speed up then it’s a good idea to wax well. If not, well, you can always wait til your base gets ‘hairy’

Lester noted from the start that he rides Mid-west Ice, so though I’ve never boarded in the states I’m assumin that its gonna be kinda similar to our aussie resort conditions, as opposed to untracked backcountry dry Japow!!!!!

Hence why we are lookin at roughly the 3 day mark!!!!!

Gamblor - 06 November 2011 12:01 PM

waxing frequency depends on the type of snow you’re riding, and also the resort you’re at. If you’re riding fluffy powder, then the wax will last longer than in spring slush. Also, if your resort has flat areas where you need to keep your speed up then it’s a good idea to wax well. If not, well, you can always wait til your base gets ‘hairy’

Thanx Gamblor, you mentioned that I can wait till the base gets hairy? What exactly would that look like, I know about the dry stops that’s easy to look for but hairy hmm hmmm

Mudhoney - 06 November 2011 09:34 AM

from what i’ve read, you can just use the diamond stone to sharpen. don’t use the file unless you want to change angles or really give the edges a major tune-up.

Yeah I’ll stick with the sharpie trick and a diamond stone when needed i don’t wanna be doing top many tune ups and cutting the life of the board