The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Modus Bearings

I’ve got 52’s. I was actually using 55’s to get around in Canada but they make it feel to high off the ground. It’s just some good bearing I need I think.

Ah ok smile

You can also get some lube for your bearings too wink

Spitfire 54’s, always rolled with 54’s and just afraid of change haha.

I’ve got 52’s. My bearings are just lame. Smooth for cheap bearings… but lame

52 for “street” and 54-56 for park. The bigger wheels generally men that you don’t need to push as much. So when rolling through some transition parks they are really good for that.
Cleaning your bearings is a good thing. It is like changing the oil on your car, it gets rid of all the debri that is in there and can cause your bearings damage. The other thing is they last longer and roll better so you get the best out of your bearings.

I bought some Bones Super Reds!  cheese
Unfortunately I decided to support my local skate store which resulted in retail price… OUCH
But I’m so keen to roll!
If only this rain would PISS OFF!!!
I might switch back to my 55 wheels too. I’ll just try both and see which i prefer.

Hey CJ what solvent do u use to clean your bearings? I want to take good care of these puppies. cool grin

Congrats on the Super Reds! smile Tell me how they are!
You can get some lube for your bearings from Bones. I think it’s called speed cream, its supposed to protect your bearings and speed them up. Not too sure about the price though. I haven’t used it but I hear it’s pretty good, I just use WD-40 on my bearings and it cleans them and makes them a bit faster.

You can spray it on your bearings, what I like to do is pop them out and fill a small container with WD-40 just enough so the bearings are a bit submerged then I seal the container and shake it. You will see how dirty your bearings were when you empty the container.

First off, nice purchase on the super reds they are some good bearings. Second thank you for supporting your local stores. If you become regular there they will probably start giving you discounts.
Speed cream is much better to use then WD-40, but WD-40 works alright for a temporary measure.
Well when it comes to cleaning bearings the first thing I use is generally a degreaser. Now there are recommendations about using a citrus based on but I used the cheap stuff from super cheap. When it comes to this you will want to have a container and spray sheet laid out. That way I can pop the shields off (I am only saying that as some people may still have them on) flip the bearing and spray the crap out off them. This is the dirty part and will get the main amount of dirt out. After this I shake them out and then will soak them in some metho.
Once you have soaked them for a bit, take them out and let them dry. Now you want to put your bearings back into the wheels and get ready to put some speed cream in. You will only need 2 drops of this stuff so put 1 drop in on a ball bearing then go to the other part of the bearing and do the other drop. Now spin the wheel like an out of control ferris wheel. Repeat with the rest of the bearing, then replace your sheilds onto the bearings and you are ready to roll.
That is the basic way I do it, the long way is really in depth and would be better done with video.

Thanks CJ! Really helpful shaka

C J Parker - 23 November 2011 08:32 PM

First off, nice purchase on the super reds they are some good bearings. Second thank you for supporting your local stores. If you become regular there they will probably start giving you discounts.
Speed cream is much better to use then WD-40, but WD-40 works alright for a temporary measure.
Well when it comes to cleaning bearings the first thing I use is generally a degreaser. Now there are recommendations about using a citrus based on but I used the cheap stuff from super cheap. When it comes to this you will want to have a container and spray sheet laid out. That way I can pop the shields off (I am only saying that as some people may still have them on) flip the bearing and spray the crap out off them. This is the dirty part and will get the main amount of dirt out. After this I shake them out and then will soak them in some metho.
Once you have soaked them for a bit, take them out and let them dry. Now you want to put your bearings back into the wheels and get ready to put some speed cream in. You will only need 2 drops of this stuff so put 1 drop in on a ball bearing then go to the other part of the bearing and do the other drop. Now spin the wheel like an out of control ferris wheel. Repeat with the rest of the bearing, then replace your sheilds onto the bearings and you are ready to roll.
That is the basic way I do it, the long way is really in depth and would be better done with video.

Is that per ball C J? 1 drop for each ball and 1 drop on the retainer/track of that ball?

Also would I go through the same process with my 24 hybrid ceramic bearings?
Cheers mate

When you open your bearing do one drop at 12 o’ clock and one drop at 6 o’ clock? I’m pretty sure you’ll be alright with doing that on your ceramics. The vids I’ve seen of the speed cream is longboarders put it on their ceramic bearings so you’ll be ok it should work for all bearings.

Yes that is correct BKM 12 and 6 as much as possible seeing that there is 7 balls. With ceramics it is fine, they are better for speed. Speed cream is the perfect thickness for skate bearings.

OK Modus bearings have been getting a bit of a mention recently. So I have spoken to a mate of mine that works for Modus and asked if they are able to put an article together about the background of Modus and so forth. So hopefully soon we will have something for you guys to mull over and enjoy. Stay posted.

Ooh smile I’m keen CJ!

medvacflights is right, it is once again quality over quantity.