The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Favourite Surf Brands?

As we get closer to launching the surf section, we are starting to lock in sponsors.

We would like to welcome our first sponsor, Misfit Shapes. http://www.misfitshapes.com/

Which are your favourite surf brands? and why?

Boardshorts = Analog for comfort and quality, Rhythm for the ultimate surf cut!!!!!!

Wetsuits = WEST, For a great cut, bein a Core Aussie brand, and pushin the rest of the industry into better warranties for their customers!!!!!!

Accessories = DaKine Leggies for durability and dependability, and their tail pads are the bomb!!!!!!

Clothing - REEF make some sweet gear along with the Mick Fanning Thong (The most Aussie thong goin and a damn comfy one at that!!!!!), INSIGHT have always cranked out some smooth threads as well!!!!!! Analog have also got some nice gear to walk the streets in as well!!!!!!

We can confirm Oakley as our second sponsor of the surf section! cool grin

I’ve always been a fan of FCS, O’Neill, Dakine, Gorilla Grip, Reef - for various items.

O’Neill makes some of the very best wetsuits in my opinion.

O’Neill constantly win best wettie awards for their steamers!!!!!

FCS fins are the market leaders, and if I was to chose a second option to DaKine for tail pads, it would be Creatures of Leisure over Gorilla Grip!!!!!

Oh yeah, awesome about Oakley!!!!! Quality gear for sure!!!!!

Misfit’s website looks good - deals on boards for BW members? My Islantis is on its deathbed…

I’ll second West as a good wettie company that stick it to the big boys. Dakine and O&E for leggies, tail pads and boardbags. FCS for fins can’t really be beat. Mr Zog’s wax.

Element, volcom, rusty and insight for clothing. I hate paying to be a walking ad, so until billabong, ripcurl and the likes change their style, I don’t buy their stuff - with the exception of ripcurl wetties. I know it’s stupid, especially as they are basically all owned by the big companies anyway. /end rant

West as far as I know have “gone west” unless someone got them out of their internal shitfight that was going on!  I have a coupl eof their wetties and they are good stuff.  Have had Rip Curl, Peak (almost the same thing or used to be), Quiksilver, Oneill and Billabong and the only ones that might have been better than West were Oneill.

Creatures of Leisure for accessories eg” grips, board bags, legggies.

Quiksilver, Insight and Rusty for clothes, I’m happy with Quik for Jeans and shorts, Insight along with Rusty does decent jeans, shorts and tshirts although I haven’t bought any for a while.

I tend to get tshirts from other non surf brands these days, bit more interesting.

For boards I have Warners and Merricks, used to like Rusty’s until Mick Button left or was replaced.  I still have an awesome Wayne Lynch semi gun that goes amazing though.  Have had a couple of Hayden shapes that went well too but generally shaped with a lighter guy in mind I would say.  I really want to get on a JS this summer, have always liked the way his boards look.

Sussin out some Simon Anderson’s at Manly the other week!!!!!!

Couple of nice shapes for the bigger dude!!!!!!

Ohh, and although they are also now owned by Billabong, XCEL Wetsuits are a great product and used to be at the forefront of innovation!!!!!

Rip Curl
O&E legies
Sex Wax (Mr Zoggs)
DP shapes (boards)

Mizu Kuma - 04 November 2011 10:43 AM

My very first board was a Simon Anderson Energy thruster ha ha, unfortunately it’s the only simon I’ve ever had.

nthnbeachesguy - 07 November 2011 12:16 AM
Mizu Kuma - 04 November 2011 10:43 AM

My very first board was a Simon Anderson Energy thruster ha ha, unfortunately it’s the only simon I’ve ever had.

Ya probably wish that ya still had it!!!!!

My first board was a Byrne Twinny!!!!! I would love to have it now!!!!!

this is really interesting for a non-surfer.  I’ve only ever bought quicksilver/billabong/ripcurl in the past for my summer casuals and beach gear.  Will check some of those others out!