The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Safety Equip

Caboose - 12 October 2011 01:25 AM

What brand of helmets do u guys recommend for skating?

apart from the obvious response of “the one that fits best” wink

187 is rad too. Terry towling in the front for us sweaty men out there.

Cheers

C J Parker - 13 October 2011 09:58 PM

187 is rad too. Terry towling in the front for us sweaty men out there.

Spot on about 187s there. And yes, I believe kids should be taught how to fall properly instead of blindly covering every exposed joint in padding and hoping for the best. Personally, I wear kneepads and a helmet when riding transitions big enough to realistically knee-slide on (9 foot plus). Bailing on anything below that is either running out or falling to the flatground most of the time. On the other hand, I see guys like Jake Brown and Jaws absolutely shredding padless and it works well for them.

Caboose - 13 October 2011 05:50 AM

my theory on wrist guards

is that breaking a wrist they are a bugger to fix as there are heaps of little bones

breaking an arm is either 1 or 2 big bones that can be set

not that any breaks are good

i will be rocking the wrist guards, going to get a helmet soon too - yes i will look like a gumby, but it will match my style

Just so u know bro, the whole “wrist guards break your arm instead of your wrist” simply isn’t true. It’s a myth.
The reason people say that is cause 20 years ago they made them with metal plates in them that don’t bend so they break your arm. But the stopped making them when I was just a kid. They are now made with plastic that bends so they are more like a wrist brace then a solid guard.

I wear mine snowboarding too, under my gloves and I promise u can’t break an arm. So wrist guard away! Rock the lame stylings with me LOL

I wear chainmail under my clothes so I don’t graze myself.

I wore it when I started skating.. now I wear sometimes ankle guard smile  I can’t skate even with hat not with a helmet :D it’s limiting me…

Welcome to Boardworld Joe! smile

Andy Aitken - 27 October 2011 09:21 AM

is that breaking a wrist they are a bugger to fix as there are heaps of little bones

i will be rocking the wrist guards, going to get a helmet soon too - yes i will look like a gumby, but it will match my style

Just so u know bro, the whole “wrist guards break your arm instead of your wrist” simply isn’t true. It’s a myth.
The reason people say that is cause 20 years ago they made them with metal plates in them that don’t bend so they break your arm. But the stopped making them when I was just a kid. They are now made with plastic that bends so they are more like a wrist brace then a solid guard.

I wear mine snowboarding too, under my gloves and I promise u can’t break an arm. So wrist guard away! Rock the lame stylings with me LOL

i have a dakine & protec set of wrist guards both have metal plates ......  both bought within the last 5 seasons
are the plastic ones better as they flex or are the metal ones better protection???

BKM - 27 October 2011 09:38 AM

I wear chainmail under my clothes so I don’t graze myself.

BWAHHAHHAHHAHHHAAAHAAHH LOL

Caboose - 01 November 2011 11:09 PM

i have a dakine & protec set of wrist guards both have metal plates ......  both bought within the last 5 seasons
are the plastic ones better as they flex or are the metal ones better protection???

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/food-and-health/diet-and-exercise/exercise-equipment/snowboarding-wristguards/page/why wear one.aspx

Caboose - 01 November 2011 11:09 PM

Wow u have metal ones gulp  I haven’t seen them since I was a kid. Definitely buy plastic ones dude. The metal ones CAN break your arm but the plastic ones can’t.

Sorry to gravedig here, but I have been looking around at the various bits of equipment out there and have been surprised by the variation in whats worn between different codes. Ive read guys wearing shin pads, knee pads, ankle guard, wrist guards, helmets, elbow pads. And not really by anyone all at once (well mostly not anyone).

Any thoughts on this? is it because with the exception of helmets and wrist guards the protection isnt exactly what people need? ie too bulky or whatever.

Im guilty of this too, only wearing knees and a helmet. And with the knees i run the smallest slimmest ones i could get a hold of.

btw, I potential conflict of interest in this, just putting it out there!

Check the review out http://www.online-skating.com/articles-2496-2-test-g-form-impact-knee-pads.html and get in touch if youre interested! Cheers

i wear a helmet i bought at a charity shop for $1       grin

I have the opposite problem Andy…I cant find any good wrist guards? all the ones i see are bulky and have really hard plastic or metal in them. I have a pair that are really slim fitting and more like a wrist brace, that i got in Sweden. but they are falling apart after 8years. I only really use them when its icey but id still like to have a set handy.

This is them….I just realised that they really stink quite a lot