The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Safety Equip

cheers rider!

Personally I wear knee pads that don’t have hard shells. So they go under your pants and no one can see them.
Also I destroyed my wrist the first time I tried to get into skating and it took over a year to heal properly, so now I always wear wrist guards.
Surprisingly no one gives me shit for it, which I think is really cool.

I wouldnt pick on someone your height either Andy!

Jeans also soften the blow when my board accident whacks my shins :(

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 12 October 2011 06:10 AM

I wouldnt pick on someone your height either Andy!

Just cause he wears Grandma’s Undies!!!!!  smirk

LOL best game

If I was good enough to try something in a skate park i’d definately suit up with at least wrist and head protection.

What do you guys think about the theory that wearing a wrist guard just transfers the shock further up the arm?

I’ve heard people say that they’ve seen shoulder injuries that have most likely happened because the rider couldn’t bend their wrist when landing?

It kind of sounds stupid to me, but then again, maybe it does depend on how you land it.

People often break their A/C joint or Clavicle when falling on their wrist/arm anyway. I think wrist guards will have no affect on that. Restricting the elbow bend would on the otherhand.

With wrist guards, any decent ones will properly protect the wrist with out causing extra damage to the arm. If for any reason you did happen to snap your ulnar or radius in the forearm, I think a break would have happened regardless of the guard

my theory on wrist guards

is that breaking a wrist they are a bugger to fix as there are heaps of little bones

breaking an arm is either 1 or 2 big bones that can be set

not that any breaks are good

i will be rocking the wrist guards, going to get a helmet soon too - yes i will look like a gumby, but it will match my style

Very valid points Caboose!

Not bout the gumby style, but the breaks wink

nah the Gumby style is Valid too!!! wink  shaka

LOL

Breaking your arm is definitely the better option. The other thing is though, wrist guards can help prevent soft tissue damage. I have bruised and had swollen as wrist from some uber ridiculous stacks. The pain from slapping my wrist again on that was so bad I nearly threw up each time I hit the deck.
When you start realising how long injuries take to heal and the time it takes you away from a sport you love. Safety gear doesn’t look so bad then.

C J Parker - 13 October 2011 09:54 PM

When you start realising how long injuries take to heal and the time it takes you away from a sport you love. Safety gear doesn’t look so bad then.

yep

also cant have bust wrist for work - so busted wrist = no money (busted arm not much better)