The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Bodyboards ID Thurston

I decided to get back into surfing for two reason. 1: I love to surf just as much as snowboarding. 2: Its the best way of getting and staying fit in my book. I got pissed off with all these f&#king; long-boarding and paddle boats hogging all the waves ( the reason I stop surfing) so I decided on another tact . I will surf where these asshole wave hoggers don,t. On the sucky reef and point breaks but I,m to slow to make anything of these breaks on a short board so I changing from a short board to a body-board. I know jack shit about body-boards.  So I took the advice of the young bloke who served me and got myself a Thurston ID board. The young bloke said I picked up a bargain because they just order new stock. I end up with a Thurston ID, FSD core 60/40 rails for $ 240. Did I do well or did I get touch up.?

I can’t even begin to think as to why you would change from surfing to bodyboarding, no offence but that’s like me deciding to go back to walking on all fours like a chimp…………………

Although I have never even ridden a BB and most likely never will, good on ya for gettin back into the drink, johno!!!!!!

At a quick glance the board is a NOMAD yeah????

Looks like a mid range board for that price, and bein a NOMAD I can tell ya that if anything goes wrong with the board they will sort ya out without dramas!!!!!

Not sure what type of core the FSD is actually made from, but if it’s not a closed cell ppe type or a dow core, then just make sure that ya get out of the water quickly if ya punture it!!!!! Water logging a BB can spell the death of it very quickly!!!!!

Also, don’t leave it in the sun/car as this will destroy it also!!!!!!

I’m pretty sure that ya have purchased well!!!!! 

Have fun mate!!!!!  shaka

nthnbeachesguy - 19 September 2011 11:03 PM

I can’t even begin to think as to why you would change from surfing to bodyboarding, no offence but that’s like me deciding to go back to walking on all fours like a chimp…………………

I’m a old bloke 50+ and can not catch a wave on my short board any more plus having to complete with other old blokes who decide to go with longboarding or f#$king paddle board which by the way should only be used in the shipping lanes. That the reason why

Mizu Kuma - 20 September 2011 12:07 AM

Although I have never even ridden a BB and most likely never will, good on ya for gettin back into the drink, johno!!!!!!

At a quick glance the board is a NOMAD yeah????

Looks like a mid range board for that price, and bein a NOMAD I can tell ya that if anything goes wrong with the board they will sort ya out without dramas!!!!!

Not sure what type of core the FSD is actually made from, but if it’s not a closed cell ppe type or a dow core, then just make sure that ya get out of the water quickly if ya punture it!!!!! Water logging a BB can spell the death of it very quickly!!!!!

Also, don’t leave it in the sun/car as this will destroy it also!!!!!!

I’m pretty sure that ya have purchased well!!!!! 

Have fun mate!!!!!  shaka

thank for the info Mizu

Fair enough mate, I woulda thought you would have had more fun a log though?

With comments like that, there is only one of you two that is walking around on all fours like a chimp!
I don’t give a damn what people ride and thought that bias based on that was long dead but you’re certainly living up to a “nthn beaches guy” reputation/stereotype! How was north narra this arvo?

Johno I think by the sounds of it you’ve got a decent price for that board! The RRP is a bit over $350 I think. Which shop did you buy it from?
I haven’t ridden an ID board myself - they have only been around for the last 6mths to a year as far as I know.

Whereabouts will you be riding this board? The core is a variant of Beaded Polypropylene and is suited to warmer waters (19-27degs)

I think Mizu was talking about it being a Nomad board because of it being a Glen thurston board…Glen used to ride for Nomad, but now rides for this new company - ID.

hope some of this helps - have fun trying to get barrelled! grin

So I tested out my new weapon of choice and had a great time. It had been 4 years since I was last had a surf and I really enjoy the couple of wave I had . I can see myself getting involved quick and deep, by knowing that I can enjoy a wave without the use of a stand up short board. Off course their a deference between the two but I can see myself enjoying surfing again!

Cord, Mizu was correct, its a Nomad. I got the Nomad logo mix up, thinking it stood for ID. The young bloke did mention this but still feel its a bargain. I brought it at my local surf shop OFFSHORE Moruya & Broulee. Where will I surf ? I used to surf Moruya river mouth and the breakwall. I will be surfing Pedro, Predro Reef, Congo Reef and Pink rocks. I surfed the breakwall yesterday arro. To small today. Temp 15c

NBG Can I ask you this, what will you do when your competing for waves and all the young dudes are getting inside of you, scoring all the choice wave because your age and fitness give you no chance against the younger fitter dudes .
Will you be digressing to a Long-board, sitting out the back and pick off the choice wave. Being from the city NBG you don,t understand that in country, these young dudes end up putting themselves in danger by surfing less excess-able dangerous places. All because of these greedy old asshole won,t except young dude out doing them for a wave. I don,t see myself digressing but moving to similar high performance sport which long-boarding definitely isn’t

cords - 20 September 2011 07:57 AM

With comments like that, there is only one of you two that is walking around on all fours like a chimp!
I don’t give a damn what people ride and thought that bias based on that was long dead but you’re certainly living up to a “nthn beaches guy” reputation/stereotype! How was north narra this arvo?

Johno I think by the sounds of it you’ve got a decent price for that board! The RRP is a bit over $350 I think. Which shop did you buy it from?
I haven’t ridden an ID board myself - they have only been around for the last 6mths to a year as far as I know.

Whereabouts will you be riding this board? The core is a variant of Beaded Polypropylene and is suited to warmer waters (19-27degs)

I think Mizu was talking about it being a Nomad board because of it being a Glen thurston board…Glen used to ride for Nomad, but now rides for this new company - ID.

Peace love and mung beans eh cords? Let’s just say the normal” evolution” or progression when surfing is for a kid to be introduced to the waves via a bb and then continue onto a stand up board. Is it so hard to see why I might see it as a backward step, granted the tongue in cheek aspect of what I wrote doesnt seem to have been picked up on. I dont surf narra, I avoid it like the plague actually, maybe its only those of us who live north of mona who walk around on all 4’s like chimps, will check and get back to you on that one.

johnoT - 21 September 2011 03:18 AM

NBG Can I ask you this, what will you do when your competing for waves and all the young dudes are getting inside of you, scoring all the choice wave because your age and fitness give you no chance against the younger fitter dudes .
Will you be digressing to a Long-board, sitting out the back and pick off the choice wave. Being from the city NBG you don,t understand that in country, these young dudes end up putting themselves in danger by surfing less excess-able dangerous places. All because of these greedy old asshole won,t except young dude out doing them for a wave. I don,t see myself digressing but moving to similar high performance sport which long-boarding definitely isn’t

Hopefully mate I will get enough of my fathers genes and keep myself fit enough to not have to worry too much. He’s 66 and riding an 8ft semi gun type of board, unfortunately he’s had a shoulder reco a couple of months ago and is out of the water currently.  There plenty of old dudes on mals around the city as well, the beach I surf gets a few but due to the nature of access it keeps em to a minimum, not to many are happy to lug a Mal up and down the hill. I have had time away from the surf a bit and as much as I know the first few surfs are going to suck I know that in the end it will be worth it.

I hope that bb works out for you, either way its better than sitting on the lounge, you never know you might get fit enough to want too get back on the board again.

That great to hear about your Dad, 66 and still getting out for a surf . I hope his shoulder get well quick. I have just got over a bad shoulder myself plus other thing that keep my of the snow the pass season. I hope BBing keeps me entertain until I start work in Hakuba in December.

nthnbeachesguy - 23 September 2011 11:02 PM

cords - 20 September 2011 07:57 AM

Peace love and mung beans eh cords? Let’s just say the normal” evolution” or progression when surfing is for a kid to be introduced to the waves via a bb and then continue onto a stand up board. Is it so hard to see why I might see it as a backward step, granted the tongue in cheek aspect of what I wrote doesnt seem to have been picked up on. I dont surf narra, I avoid it like the plague actually, maybe its only those of us who live north of mona who walk around on all 4’s like chimps, will check and get back to you on that one.

i started with surfing at 4 went to BB at 13 and back to surfing at 29 (well actually i did surf on and off over those years but majority of riding was on a booger. it’s like skiiing to snowboarding or skating to bmx… apples for apples to each person.
I have big issues with surfers who hate on boogers.
i had some fiskwit at north narra once come up to my car in the carpark grab my board (booger) and proceed to drag it across the gravel and then run away to his mates laughing, lets just say they didnt laugh when i my mate who i was there with (surfer) set his towel on fire with my MAPP gas!

STANDING, PRONE or DK it’s all enjoying the waves….but dont ask me about SUP’s….they can get f*****

try this with no fins….

Banger, I like watching guys who are good at DK but to me it just begs the question why not just stand up?  A couple of local guys who were sponsored BBers ripped at DK and just ended up surfing.  It is good to watch the BBers have a crack at a local spot called death ledge near my house, looks like a ballsy undertaking, prone or any other way u care to tackle it.