The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

BW Coaching/Workshops/Camps/Lessons PB Season Pass 2012

Andy Aitken - 26 September 2011 04:33 PM

I’m not trying to push anyone into lessons, but me personally, I take them every chance I get.

i don’t sleep in the back of my car or in a tent (in the past) at the snow for the love of being cold

it was a choice when learning/beginning that i could pay

1) $80 - $100 and ride, sleep in tent, no lessons

2) stay at home

there wasn’t any choice in the matter of having lessons couldn’t afford it

ozgirl - 26 September 2011 06:29 AM
Caboose - 26 September 2011 06:23 AM
rider26 - 26 September 2011 03:09 AM

Yeah, of course. I would never try to teach there unless it was organised with Perisher. We have a great relationship with them and this will be one of the things I speak to them about before the season comes around.

On a serious note

i think it is a part of the instructor process at Perisher that is lacking, apart from the cost of lessons

they have skier improvement programs that go for a few weeks

i think boarding camps (week long) or coaching programmes over a few weeks would be a good thing

same instructor for the length of the programme

a 1 off lesson at $100 aint going to do anything for me

i’d prefer to pay for a season pass for a “coach” for the season, have that coach head out in the morning show me a few things, watch my riding and give me tips, then set me up to practice

maybe come back in the arvo to check on progress

etc

I agree Cabby. This is something we lack in Aus vs the US.

Perisher have the kid thing every Sunday. that you sign up for at the beginning of the season. They should offer something like that for Adults for sure.

they have a skier programme

As far as i know no boarder programmes

blizzard_22 - 26 September 2011 06:08 AM
TJswish - 26 September 2011 05:46 AM

How tall / heavy is he? A 157 is a pretty average size for a 5ft8 - 6ft, 70-90kg Male, and a 152 would be too small. If he doesn’t ride all that often, this will be fine while he picks it up but if he starts getting good, maybe move to something with a bit more tech.

Of course its always about the $$$, If boards were free, I’d have way more than the (too many) that I already got lol.

Remember that both of you plan to come to the shred next year, hence should get to try a lot of demo boards etc. That way he can find out what he likes and doesn’t like and when he upgrades, chuck the LTD on Ebay (and say “Like Burton” or some crap like that lol.) If he is catching an edge a lot, I’d still detune the board more than T2R did as they probably still kept it pretty sharp. Remember that you mainly only want to detune the tip and tail from just under the widest part of the board (each side). Any metal file will do this easily.

He is 5ft8 and weighs around 100kg. Unfortunately I don’t trust any of the stores in Canberra to tune the board properly so will prob have to get it done in Jindy some time next year. Will definitely make sure he demos some boards next year.

At 100 kg’s a 157 will be sweet., no matter how stiff it is!!!!!

Was he mainly on flatter green runs???? Sometimes a little bit of steep is beneficial in learnin how to get on an edge, and actually aid in not catchin one!!!!!

And had I known before, I would’ve de-tuned it the other day!!!!! Cause once shown how, edge maintenance and waxin are easy!!!!!

I haven’t had a lot of time on the snow, so I try to fit in a lesson when I can. I even squeezed one in on the first day at the Shred and I think it helped.

I know you can book private lessons at Thredbo and share the cost between participants so I’m sure Perisher would do the same. That way if you get 3-4 people together at the same level you can concentrate on the same techniques. This is a bit harder for instructors usually cos they have to cater for 5-6 people or more who may have different skill levels, although this is less of a problem the higher up the levels you go. My last couple of lessons at Thredbo only had 2-3 participants.

MU

I’m definitely interested in lessons from the BW experts next season too. Would not mind paying cash, alcohol, food, accommodation or any of those combined.
As I’m probably the worst boarder of the few groups that I know, sneaking in lessons for faster improvement would be awesome!

Mizu Kuma - 26 September 2011 07:10 AM
blizzard_22 - 26 September 2011 06:08 AM
TJswish - 26 September 2011 05:46 AM

How tall / heavy is he? A 157 is a pretty average size for a 5ft8 - 6ft, 70-90kg Male, and a 152 would be too small. If he doesn’t ride all that often, this will be fine while he picks it up but if he starts getting good, maybe move to something with a bit more tech.

Of course its always about the $$$, If boards were free, I’d have way more than the (too many) that I already got lol.

Remember that both of you plan to come to the shred next year, hence should get to try a lot of demo boards etc. That way he can find out what he likes and doesn’t like and when he upgrades, chuck the LTD on Ebay (and say “Like Burton” or some crap like that lol.) If he is catching an edge a lot, I’d still detune the board more than T2R did as they probably still kept it pretty sharp. Remember that you mainly only want to detune the tip and tail from just under the widest part of the board (each side). Any metal file will do this easily.

He is 5ft8 and weighs around 100kg. Unfortunately I don’t trust any of the stores in Canberra to tune the board properly so will prob have to get it done in Jindy some time next year. Will definitely make sure he demos some boards next year.

At 100 kg’s a 157 will be sweet., no matter how stiff it is!!!!!

Was he mainly on flatter green runs???? Sometimes a little bit of steep is beneficial in learnin how to get on an edge, and actually aid in not catchin one!!!!!

And had I known before, I would’ve de-tuned it the other day!!!!! Cause once shown how, edge maintenance and waxin are easy!!!!!

We were on the village trail mostly, it was his first time riding it so maybe he just needs a bit more time on it being that extra little bit longer. Will find out next year shaka

Thank you everyone for your help!!!  grin

Yeah, of course. I would never try to teach there unless it was organised with Perisher. We have a great relationship with them and this will be one of the things I speak to them about before the season comes around.

On a serious note

i think it is a part of the instructor process at Perisher that is lacking, apart from the cost of lessons

i think boarding camps (week long) or coaching programmes over a few weeks would be a good thing

i’d prefer to pay for a season pass for a “coach” for the season, have that coach head out in the morning show me a few things, watch my riding and give me tips, then set me up to practice

etc

I agree, in whistler they have boarding camps and even specific girls boarding camps run by roxy that everyone seems to love. They use their best instructors and there’s give aways and just general awesomeness for the whole week. I’ve never taught one of these camps yet but I have taught the Jindabyne high school kids every friday of the season and I enjoy it so much better than just single lessons. It’s way better for instructor and student to teach for a week or a season rather than one day.

It’s awesome to make long term goals as well as goals for the day and watch them happen. Very rewarding, best progress and definitely my favourite kind of teaching.

I’ve always worked for snow resorts and lived there at the same time, so I’m just trying to find a way to make this work. I guess we all just have to keep bouncing ideas around until something works out.
Also we should probably organize this closer to the season cause by then I will know where I’ll be living at the time.

I will be at the shred for the full week next season so that is a definite for getting some good amount of training in with you guys. Training in the morning - practice what you have learned through the day while I do some practice myself - then I’ll watch you ride in the arvo and I’ll correct anything that needs correcting/final polishing of techniques and we’ll decide what to work on the for the next day over some beers.
Sound like a plan?

Hey Andy you joined on my birthday!!

(your plan for next years shred sounds great! BTW)

Andy Aitken - 26 September 2011 09:45 AM

On a serious note

etc

I agree, in whistler they have boarding camps and even specific girls boarding camps run by roxy that everyone seems to love. They use their best instructors and there’s give aways and just general awesomeness for the whole week. I’ve never taught one of these camps yet but I have taught the Jindabyne high school kids every friday of the season and I enjoy it so much better than just single lessons. It’s way better for instructor and student to teach for a week or a season rather than one day.

It’s awesome to make long term goals as well as goals for the day and watch them happen. Very rewarding, best progress and definitely my favourite kind of teaching.

I’ve always worked for snow resorts and lived there at the same time, so I’m just trying to find a way to make this work. I guess we all just have to keep bouncing ideas around until something works out.
Also we should probably organize this closer to the season cause by then I will know where I’ll be living at the time.

I will be at the shred for the full week next season so that is a definite for getting some good amount of training in with you guys. Training in the morning - practice what you have learned through the day while I do some practice myself - then I’ll watch you ride in the arvo and I’ll correct anything that needs correcting/final polishing of techniques and we’ll decide what to work on the for the next day over some beers.
Sound like a plan?

I’ll be up for ya offer there, Andy!!!!! We can even play Grandma’s Undies as well????

Oh yeah of course, I do the same with my friends. But that’s riding with friends. Actual park lessons are nothing like that.
Plenty of people go their whole lives with out taking a park lesson and do just fine but I find they are invaluable for my riding when I get them from instructor evaluators (the pros) and can pretty much guarantee you will progress in learning a trick sooo much faster and have better style if you get taught properly. 
I’ll always shred with anyone in the park and give what ever tips I can if they ask me. But it’s nothing like me taking the whole day to focus on a person or group and teach them in building blocks how to work towards landing the desired trick or tricks.

Basically the difference is in a lesson I don’t get to ride for my own improvement. In which case I’m working. It’s a fun job but still a job.

I’m not trying to push anyone into lessons, but me personally, I take them every chance I get.

I’m not denying lessons are good and helpful…more pointing out that Im unlikely to pay for one. I used to take advantage of being able to jump on the park lessons for free at PB if you worked in a lodge and there was spare spots when ever I could. Plus Im lucky enough to have the head instructor of a Snowboard school in Sweden as a close mate and he gives me lessons every so often If I make him dinner or chop wood for him (The bastard uses so much wood!)  or babysit for a few nights. I always learn something, so I can see the value. I can also see the value in a T,rice split board but Im not out buying that either ( yet wink ). not to mention I’m not that keen to pay for a lesson only to find out the instructor doesn’t know that much or isn’t experienced enough….which Id have to say on the PB ones happened every now and then.

TJswish - 26 September 2011 03:36 AM

P.S. Cabby / Nth Beaches / anyone else. If you are heading down from St Leonards (or can meet people in campbelltown) again next year, give us the head up… if I can save some money before then, I’ll come on a day / weekend trip with ya and see what I can help you out with. Maybe even bring a few different boards to let people try them out smile

TJ I live in Newport, office is in Silverwater, have clients in Newcastle, Campbelltown, Penrith, Richmond, Canberra, Sydney CBD, North Sydney, Chatswood, Artarmon, North Ryde, Parramatta, Blacktown, basically all over really so I can organise to be in certain places that suit me on Friday arvo’s.  With that said Canberra and Campbelltown are the two best when going to the snow but even Penrith, Richmond and Blacktown are ok cause they’re on the M7 or close enough.  In short I can pick anyone up from anywhere given enough notice and I can usually get off a little earlier than most.

Generally I camp, I find it more comfortable than the backpackers, I’m fairly large so I don’t fit in bunks like at the backpackers at all, I have tried it and slept horribly.  I have camped at Island bend which is free but more recently taken to the holiday park off the roundabout in the centre of Jindy, easy access to the Banjo for dinner and drinks.

My only request really for grabbing a lift is that you have a full drivers licence, I don’t want to drive the whole way there and back, it sucks ha ha ha! 

I’m going down for the closing weekend with a mate for the full 3 days at this stage, anyone else going for a last slide?

Andy Aitken - 26 September 2011 09:45 AM

Sound like a plan?

Sounds awesome

Lock it in Eddie!!

I’ve also purchased a perisher freedom pass so would definitely be keen to catch up with you guys.

Also thinking of heading down for a few days later this week (got to use my 1 free day), just keeping an eye on the weather then seeing if I can do a last minute scramble and organise some accomodation then do the big drive down. Unfortunately after checking with perisher the skitube addon pass isn’t valid yet which is a bummer (can’t get chains for my low profile wheels)

You won’t need chains this time of year. I know it’s a legal requirement but no one is going to check.

rider26 - 27 September 2011 09:20 AM

You won’t need chains this time of year. I know it’s a legal requirement but no one is going to check.

Your the type of person that takes their kids to the skate park on their scooters, and then ignores the park etiquette signage!!!!!!  wink