The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

BW Coaching/Workshops/Camps/Lessons PB Season Pass 2012

blizzard_22 - 26 September 2011 01:52 AM
Mizu Kuma - 26 September 2011 01:19 AM
blizzard_22 - 23 September 2011 10:10 PM

Dark just got a new board which is a little longer and is catching an edge quiet a bit.

What board did he get, blizz???? Did he get it de-tuned????

I can’t remember exactly what the board is, the brand is LTD. It is about 5cms longer than his previous board and yes he did get it de-tuned. The guy at Time2Ride was really good.

Blizz, don’t want to put you off the board but LTD is generally related to rental boards, they generally run heavier and stiffer (to limit damage) and that will generally make it a lot harder to initiate turns etc. Also the longer a board is, the harder it is to turn but it does then excel in powder / speed. As Dark is used to riding a shorter board, he might be struggling as it is a different feeling turning this one compared to his old one.

I have heard T2R sell boards like this on more than one occasion, some of my mates in 2009 when I worked down there got some cheap boards (as they had never ridden before) and it didn’t last very long till they grew out of it and had to buy something better.

What size did he end up on if it’s 5cm longer? Going from a 155 to a 160 is a pretty big jump… I ride a 154/155 and a 158 is a weird ride for me… and a 152 spins and turns like a madman lol.

P.S. Cabby / Nth Beaches / anyone else. If you are heading down from St Leonards (or can meet people in campbelltown) again next year, give us the head up… if I can save some money before then, I’ll come on a day / weekend trip with ya and see what I can help you out with. Maybe even bring a few different boards to let people try them out smile

Andy Aitken - 26 September 2011 03:02 AM
rider26 - 26 September 2011 01:47 AM

I bought a season pass for Perisher. I’m always happy to catch up with Boardworld members and give a helping hand if they want/need. As far as camps or paid lessons go, this would be something we have speak to Perisher about. I know resorts are usually very against lessons unless they are booked with their own instructors. Obviously it’s taking business away from them so it’s never going to work unless it’s developed with them. Any ideas on how we could make it work with them?

Yeah you’re right bro, the whole thing is a bit of a grey area but it’s best to stay on side with the resorts.
I used to teach at Perisher and every man and his dog know me there so I can’t do anything sus. And when we went to the shred at Thredbo I ran into 2 instructors that I worked with in Whistler. And even in plain clothes it’s so easy to see an instructor teaching a lesson.

Having said that, there definitely are groups like canadian extreme and others that aren’t resort instructors. So maybe you can swing something with Perisher Rider. Maybe ask Perisher what these 3rd party groups have done to be allowed to teach there. It is taking business away from them but it’s also bringing people to the resort and they will make money from lift tickets/ food/ accom etc.
I would be way happier to do it with their blessing rather than in a shady way. Perisher has been awesome to me and I would definitely like to do the right thing by them.

IF we are around at the same time,I’d be keen to ride with you in the park and get tips and advice and in return I can repay with some film runs/edits etc.
The way I see it is, Its not really a lesson, its just doing laps and working on your technique and its not taking any money away from PB as I’d never get a lesson anyway.  I do the same thing with mates now…just do laps and critique each other. keen to get a few more grabs down, spin cleaner and maybe have more of a go in the pipe if it isn’t to icey.

TJswish - 26 September 2011 03:33 AM

Dark just got a new board which is a little longer and is catching an edge quiet a bit.

I can’t remember exactly what the board is, the brand is LTD. It is about 5cms longer than his previous board and yes he did get it de-tuned. The guy at Time2Ride was really good.

Blizz, don’t want to put you off the board but LTD is generally related to rental boards, they generally run heavier and stiffer (to limit damage) and that will generally make it a lot harder to initiate turns etc. Also the longer a board is, the harder it is to turn but it does then excel in powder / speed. As Dark is used to riding a shorter board, he might be struggling as it is a different feeling turning this one compared to his old one.

I have heard T2R sell boards like this on more than one occasion, some of my mates in 2009 when I worked down there got some cheap boards (as they had never ridden before) and it didn’t last very long till they grew out of it and had to buy something better.

What size did he end up on if it’s 5cm longer? Going from a 155 to a 160 is a pretty big jump… I ride a 154/155 and a 158 is a weird ride for me… and a 152 spins and turns like a madman lol.

Thanks for the feedback. He had a 152 ex rental board and went to 157. He has only been boarding for a couple days for 2 years I think it is. So he is still picking things up here and there. Now that I think about it, and if we had had the extra $, I would have definitely got a banana board for him. I find them so much easier to ride and I think he would have been the same. Oh well nothing we can do now :-(

CRACKERS - 26 September 2011 03:43 AM
Andy Aitken - 26 September 2011 03:02 AM

I bought a season pass for Perisher. I’m always happy to catch up with Boardworld members and give a helping hand if they want/need. As far as camps or paid lessons go, this would be something we have speak to Perisher about. I know resorts are usually very against lessons unless they are booked with their own instructors. Obviously it’s taking business away from them so it’s never going to work unless it’s developed with them. Any ideas on how we could make it work with them?

Yeah you’re right bro, the whole thing is a bit of a grey area but it’s best to stay on side with the resorts.
I used to teach at Perisher and every man and his dog know me there so I can’t do anything sus. And when we went to the shred at Thredbo I ran into 2 instructors that I worked with in Whistler. And even in plain clothes it’s so easy to see an instructor teaching a lesson.

Having said that, there definitely are groups like canadian extreme and others that aren’t resort instructors. So maybe you can swing something with Perisher Rider. Maybe ask Perisher what these 3rd party groups have done to be allowed to teach there. It is taking business away from them but it’s also bringing people to the resort and they will make money from lift tickets/ food/ accom etc.
I would be way happier to do it with their blessing rather than in a shady way. Perisher has been awesome to me and I would definitely like to do the right thing by them.

IF we are around at the same time,I’d be keen to ride with you in the park and get tips and advice and in return I can repay with some film runs/edits etc.

The way I see it is, Its not really a lesson, its just doing laps and working on your technique and its not taking any money away from PB as I’d never get a lesson anyway.  I do the same thing with mates now…just do laps and critique each other. keen to get a few more grabs down, spin cleaner and maybe have more of a go in the pipe if it isn’t to icey.

Oh yeah of course, I do the same with my friends. But that’s riding with friends. Actual park lessons are nothing like that.
Plenty of people go their whole lives with out taking a park lesson and do just fine but I find they are invaluable for my riding when I get them from instructor evaluators (the pros) and can pretty much guarantee you will progress in learning a trick sooo much faster and have better style if you get taught properly. 
I’ll always shred with anyone in the park and give what ever tips I can if they ask me. But it’s nothing like me taking the whole day to focus on a person or group and teach them in building blocks how to work towards landing the desired trick or tricks.

Basically the difference is in a lesson I don’t get to ride for my own improvement. In which case I’m working. It’s a fun job but still a job.

I’m not trying to push anyone into lessons, but me personally, I take them every chance I get.

Even Shaun White has a coach wink

blizzard_22 - 26 September 2011 03:53 AM
TJswish - 26 September 2011 03:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback. He had a 152 ex rental board and went to 157. He has only been boarding for a couple days for 2 years I think it is. So he is still picking things up here and there. Now that I think about it, and if we had had the extra $, I would have definitely got a banana board for him. I find them so much easier to ride and I think he would have been the same. Oh well nothing we can do now :-(

How tall / heavy is he? A 157 is a pretty average size for a 5ft8 - 6ft, 70-90kg Male, and a 152 would be too small. If he doesn’t ride all that often, this will be fine while he picks it up but if he starts getting good, maybe move to something with a bit more tech.

Of course its always about the $$$, If boards were free, I’d have way more than the (too many) that I already got lol.

Remember that both of you plan to come to the shred next year, hence should get to try a lot of demo boards etc. That way he can find out what he likes and doesn’t like and when he upgrades, chuck the LTD on Ebay (and say “Like Burton” or some crap like that lol.) If he is catching an edge a lot, I’d still detune the board more than T2R did as they probably still kept it pretty sharp. Remember that you mainly only want to detune the tip and tail from just under the widest part of the board (each side). Any metal file will do this easily.

TJswish - 26 September 2011 05:46 AM

How tall / heavy is he? A 157 is a pretty average size for a 5ft8 - 6ft, 70-90kg Male, and a 152 would be too small. If he doesn’t ride all that often, this will be fine while he picks it up but if he starts getting good, maybe move to something with a bit more tech.

Of course its always about the $$$, If boards were free, I’d have way more than the (too many) that I already got lol.

Remember that both of you plan to come to the shred next year, hence should get to try a lot of demo boards etc. That way he can find out what he likes and doesn’t like and when he upgrades, chuck the LTD on Ebay (and say “Like Burton” or some crap like that lol.) If he is catching an edge a lot, I’d still detune the board more than T2R did as they probably still kept it pretty sharp. Remember that you mainly only want to detune the tip and tail from just under the widest part of the board (each side). Any metal file will do this easily.

He is 5ft8 and weighs around 100kg. Unfortunately I don’t trust any of the stores in Canberra to tune the board properly so will prob have to get it done in Jindy some time next year. Will definitely make sure he demos some boards next year.

Pshht, just do it yourself… 1x metal file and rip the edges apart till they are smooth…

Make sure to do it outside so you don’t get metal filings all over the place…

not tell them and not pay you guys as instructors wink

then everybody wins

TJswish - 26 September 2011 03:36 AM

P.S. Cabby / Nth Beaches / anyone else. If you are heading down from St Leonards (or can meet people in campbelltown) again next year, give us the head up… if I can save some money before then, I’ll come on a day / weekend trip with ya and see what I can help you out with. Maybe even bring a few different boards to let people try them out smile

no dramas

rider26 - 26 September 2011 03:09 AM

Yeah, of course. I would never try to teach there unless it was organised with Perisher. We have a great relationship with them and this will be one of the things I speak to them about before the season comes around.

On a serious note

i think it is a part of the instructor process at Perisher that is lacking, apart from the cost of lessons

they have skier improvement programs that go for a few weeks

i think boarding camps (week long) or coaching programmes over a few weeks would be a good thing

same instructor for the length of the programme

a 1 off lesson at $100 aint going to do anything for me

i’d prefer to pay for a season pass for a “coach” for the season, have that coach head out in the morning show me a few things, watch my riding and give me tips, then set me up to practice

maybe come back in the arvo to check on progress

etc

blizzard_22 - 26 September 2011 06:08 AM
TJswish - 26 September 2011 05:46 AM

He is 5ft8 and weighs around 100kg. Unfortunately I don’t trust any of the stores in Canberra to tune the board properly so will prob have to get it done in Jindy some time next year. Will definitely make sure he demos some boards next year.

i was riding a longer board and i think the length comes into catching bumps as u turn

also a stiffer board aren’t as easy to flex

Andy Aitken - 26 September 2011 05:33 AM

I’m not trying to push anyone into lessons, but me personally, I take them every chance I get.

Yep me too!

I have on numerous occasions got a 5 day lift and lesson package. There is always something to work on.

Caboose - 26 September 2011 06:23 AM
rider26 - 26 September 2011 03:09 AM

Yeah, of course. I would never try to teach there unless it was organised with Perisher. We have a great relationship with them and this will be one of the things I speak to them about before the season comes around.

On a serious note

i think it is a part of the instructor process at Perisher that is lacking, apart from the cost of lessons

they have skier improvement programs that go for a few weeks

i think boarding camps (week long) or coaching programmes over a few weeks would be a good thing

same instructor for the length of the programme

a 1 off lesson at $100 aint going to do anything for me

i’d prefer to pay for a season pass for a “coach” for the season, have that coach head out in the morning show me a few things, watch my riding and give me tips, then set me up to practice

maybe come back in the arvo to check on progress

etc

I agree Cabby. This is something we lack in Aus vs the US.

Perisher have the kid thing every Sunday. that you sign up for at the beginning of the season. They should offer something like that for Adults for sure.