The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How do you train off-snow?

Thanks, Finney, I’ll discuss those with the gym staff.

I’m def not the fittest dude, but walkin up and down hills (Preferably made of sand), skateboardin and surfin will all help for specific muscle groups that are used in snowboardin!!!!!

And a hell of a lot more fun than the gym as well!!!!!

Wake up call with regards to fitness here. Did a couple of GS events this year, legs gave up about half way through; merely a ‘passenger’ for the rest of the race. Not cool.

I find a solid stretch before riding is critical too.

Ok so lots of tips there about the fitness and strength side, what about buffing technique?  I see some of you ride skaties, anything else?

buffing? you referring to bulking up?

no. not that sort of buffing.  I just mean enhancing snowboarding technique while not on the hill.

Polishing??

Turns - don’t think there’s any substitute.

Tricks - maybe try hitting the diving boards or the tramp. Get used to landing on your feet / spotting your landing.

Okay so for things that will help your technique:

Trampoline: In my opinion the best off snow activity to help your snowboarding that I have found. I already said tramps before but I can’t stress it enough. Proper tramp training in a gym can teach you flips, spins, grabs and how to combined them. Also amazing cardio.

Skateboarding: Difficult, painful but really fun. I think the best thing it can teach you for your snowboarding is how to pump. Pumping in the halfpipe, down banks over rollers, everything. And the good news is that’s the easy part of skateboarding, anyone can do that part.
If you get better (like better than me lol) you can practise grinds, grabs and spins. They are all pretty much the same cause most snowboard tricks came from skateboarding.
I transferred axle stalls from skating to snowboarding last season and it’s a really fun trick.

Wakeboarding: Really good for learning how to ride powder. Also all the aerial tricks are pretty much the same.
A really cool thing is that in Wakeboading you grind boxes and it feels exactly like snowboarding.

Surfing: Also like riding powder. And riding a wave is like riding the halfpipe :D
Also our whole idea of slashing powder came from slashing a wave shaka

Freebording: Go to http://www.freebord.com if you haven’t seen one before. It’s kind of a long skateboard that works like a snowboard. I actually find them harder than snowboarding but it will allow you to practice your turns and getting the timing with edge changes right. When you get better you can bomb hills and practise all kinds of snowboard tricks.
They’re also really fun in a “that was sick, I’m so glad I didn’t die” kinda way.

I don’t really ‘train’ for snowboarding, but skating helps heaps, just a balance thing. Hitting rails and boxes on a skateboard is a fair bit harder than a snowboard (imo) gives me a bit more confidence on the snow knowing I can hit rails and boxes on a skateboard. I cruise around on my long board instead of driving when I can as well.shaka

Just keeping fit in general I guess helps as well, I work in IT so.. I spend 8 hours a day sitting down lol. I try and and get out as much as possible, do kickboxing 3x a week, mountain bike ride most weekends now that the season is almost over.. The weather has been stupidly warm lately angry

Most likely start skating a fair bit again when daylight savings rolls over and mates have time to skate after work again grin

Also, this.. so claiming one of these on birthday tax! haha LOL

Andy Aitken - 01 September 2011 07:01 AM

Freebording: Go to http://www.freebord.com if you haven’t seen one before. It’s kind of a long skateboard that works like a snowboard. I actually find them harder than snowboarding but it will allow you to practice your turns and getting the timing with edge changes right. When you get better you can bomb hills and practise all kinds of snowboard tricks.
They’re also really fun in a “that was sick, I’m so glad I didn’t die” kinda way.

Koper you will not regret it at all, they are so awesome, however your skin will regrade it the most.

^^^ exactly why i gave up on freeboarding!

I just went for a freebord yesterday. More fun and less scary than I remember smile
Wish I had some mates with freebords to shred with though…

Andy Aitken - 11 September 2011 08:48 AM

I just went for a freebord yesterday. More fun and less scary than I remember smile
Wish I had some mates with freebords to shred with though…

Holy crap Andy, I just checked out the freebording at that link and it looks like a huge amount of fun. I can see how you’d lose a lot of skin though. Not to mention falling from your considerable height.

MU

I just typed freebording into youtube and this is what came up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FreebordMfg?v=aMDd4Nyw5ng&feature=pyv&ad=7767777311&kw=freebord

Is that what everyone’s talking about? It looks like longboarding but their feet are strapped in. Whatever it is it looks heaps fun.