The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Dog and National Parks

Poll: Should a person be allow to enter a NSW National Park with their dog if the dog is under control.
Total Votes: 18
Yes
No

I don’t know about the area where you live, but there are no Dingo’s around here, that being said, the State Forests and National Parks have a huge Wild dog problem.

Not Dingo’s, but dumped, escaped animals that have now bred into a new breed. They sort of look Hyena like, spend sometime in the Vic high country with the local farmers and they will tell you some high raising stories of being baled up by these dogs.

When you speak of big cats, there are plenty of folk around here that claim there are BIG black cats, Panther like in the bush around here.
Never seen one myself, but there is plenty of remote country out there…........... you never know big surprise

Back on topic, when we spent winter away from Chill Hill, the dogs were living elsewhere and we noticed lots more bird & animal life about our place. Thats only five acres. As soon as the dogs were back, they resumed back to the numbers before we left.
They are Border Collies, well fed in no need of eating birds and such. Not that I am saying they don’t, given the chance they will eat a bird, rabbit, mouse etc etc

I think the smell of dogs is something native animals have learnt to fear and disappear when it takes up residence.

smile

johnoT - 05 September 2011 05:15 AM

Well it seems that all have forgotten about the Dingo which is a introduced K9 to Australia from Indonesia 5000 years ago. So the theory about destroying the natural balance is bullshit if wild dogs took a foothold. The fact is that they (K9 and cat, Felines) simply won,t survive without changing . The Dingo did adapted to the new environment. It reduce it breeding cycle (Once per year) and it physicality (Non Barking) to be able to survive. It was not a predictor in Australia but a scavenger until livestock was introduce. So to ban walking your K9 in a park where K9,s are part of the ecology does not give any weight to the ban by saying that the dog destroy the balance of the environment. Just show how Government are pandering to minority and political groups to get the popular vote.. Not for the protection of the National Parks.

sorry but this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense even after reading it a few times.

yeh i cant understand it either.

simple fact is dogs aren’t allowed into national parks, nothing will change that i can guarantee you and i 100% agree with it