The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Dog and National Parks

Poll: Should a person be allow to enter a NSW National Park with their dog if the dog is under control.
Total Votes: 18
Yes
No

Should a person be allow to enter a NSW National Park with their dog if the dog is under control. I live next to a National Park and alway walk in the park with my dog. The other day a mate was walking her dog on its lead in the same national park on the beach and got fined $200. If a dog was in the park without its owner, I would say yes. If the dog is under control and with its owner, I say no. Remember that there are people who dogs are their only life companion

no, that is all.

Hmm, kind of a tough call for me. I do love dogs and I think if they are on a lead then there is no problem at all.
The problem isn’t the dogs, it’s the owners. People like your friend act responsibly, but there will ALWAYS be a large enough percent of stupid people to ruin things for everyone else.
If you let dogs in a national park there’s gunna be plenty of people letting them off the lead even if signs say not to.
Dogs kill things, it’s not their fault, it’s just instincts. But for us to bring a foreign species into the country and then let it run around killing native wild life in our national parks, it defeats the purpose of having a national park.
Also dogs spread disease and parasites to our wildlife that they wouldn’t otherwise be exposed to and their bodies have no immunity to. Kinda like what we did to the aboriginals when the English settlers arrived.

It sucks that your friend got fined, but basically, people as a whole can’t be trusted to just do the right thing and keep them on leads like you and your friends do.

I have had major issues with the same thing.

What Andy says is on the money.

I know its a PIA for you living right next door, but we need to have National parks to protect natural flora and fauna.

We are not even allowed to take our dogs to the beach from November through to April in these parts, lead or no lead and its not even a Nat Park downer

I’m gonna call a YES, for this one!!!!!

I used to take my dog with me everywhere with me as a teen, and one such place was Killalea National Park!!!!! (The Farm)

Never used to be a national park, but as soon as they turned it into one by sayin that “conservation” was their main objective, I could no longer take my pooch there!!!!!

All that they have done in the name of so called conservation is to tar the access road in, put a takeaway shop there, toilets, car parks, a rotunda and install a boom gate so that they can now charge a fee to get entry into the place!!!!!

Two words - Dick & Heads!!!!!!

p.s

People do more damage than dogs ever will, yet they continue to let US in!!!!!!  hmmm

It’s always the minority that ruin it for the majority…

We would love to take our dog to the beach but can’t cause most of em on the south coast don’t allow dogs again regardless if they are NP or not…

Yeah blizz, cause someone doesn’t want to be disturbed by a playful dog!!!!! WOWSERS need a life!!!!!

When we were kids, it was all about runnin the gauntlet of vicious dogs, by sneakin up on the treadly then at the opportune moment peddlin ya little heart out to avoid the snarlin beast that came out chargin at ya!!!!!!

Havin a wet dog shake itself on ya, and then steppin into a filthy “PAL Turd” straight after was all a pert of this learnin curve for me!!!!!

It was a big part of my childhood, and while it scared the shit out of me at the time, I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way!!!!!

These were the days!!!!!  cool smile

I mean in the way that people don’t clean up after the dogs!!!

meh, i hate it when im running on the beach and some dumb mutt runs up to me and almost trips me over. that and people who leave dog crap everywhere, as in everything. the minority ruin it for the majority

You know deano, when I look at your avatar, you running down a beach seems highly entertaining LOL  teacherboy

Azz - 25 August 2011 11:25 AM

You know deano, when I look at your avatar, you running down a beach seems highly entertaining LOL  teacherboy

LOL

yep - far too many knobs who own dogs for this to be ok. Minority ruins it for the majority but tough luck! There should be no sense of entitlement that comes with owning a dog.

cords - 25 August 2011 11:55 AM

yep - far too many knobs who own dogs for this to be ok. Minority ruins it for the majority but tough luck! There should be no sense of entitlement that comes with owning a dog.

I agree, a national park is there to conserve native flora and fauna. If we don’t keep foreign species out of it then there’s really no point in having it.

However not allowing dogs at the beach is a bit rough! I didn’t know they banned it in sydney.
You should all bring your pups down to the central coast and sometime and have a BoardWorld Beach BBQ with me (Yes, a BBBBQ)  Dogs are everywhere on our beaches cool smile

no dogs in parks, even though your first post tried to lead me in the other direction wink

Azz - 25 August 2011 11:25 AM

i am swift and nimble on my feet…  smirk

some say graceful even