The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The link between Skateboarding & Snowboarding

If you have not seen or done any Freeboarding, check out this clip http://vimeo.com/14358260

I can roll on a board but even struggle with that, Im with more other the concrete scares me!!!

Only cause when I was a kid I tried to drop in a bowl all my weight was back and I fell straight back hitting my head on the bowl. Don’t know how I didn’t crack my skull from it…

Wow, it’s good to read this thread, I tried for a few summers to get into skateboarding but I was well into my twenties….I occassionally (very) have a skate around a park with a mate or two and it’s super fun but knarly.  Even doing really simple shit (for someone who can skate) like dropping in on banks and other transitional features (not pipes) gets my blood running.  When it goes wrong it all happens way too quickly, no time to prepare for the fall or anything, that’s why I just do it now and again.

Yeah it is kinda reassuring to see most people here kinda see it the same way. But still frustrating lol. I’m going to go for a roll soon and see if I can get comfortable with it on the deck I got in Canada cause it’s bigger (still feels too small though) Maybe I’m just making excuses cause I can’t ollie while moving lol

http://vimeo.com/14358260 Hi all. Check this clip out to find out whats freeboarding about.

Sick vid man, I wish I was that good on a freebord

I used to love skating but the whole body to concrete thing really sucked at times haha. Once I found snowboarding I instantly fell inlove. Just removed everything i hated about skating! haha

From what everyone has said about snowboarding, I have to try it.
Someone fly up here and take me to the snow!

Hey Andy, still struggling with skateboarding. I think it is literally the height with you. I am mates with a pro blader, runs the local skate shop here in Chichester.
I always skated, before I snowboarded. I love both skating and snowboarding. I love the feeling of rolling andcarving around, which makes snowboarding such an awesome feeling for me.

I skated before i snowboarded. Still skate in summer with mates not as much as i used to though oh oh  Helps a bit with confidence on rails etc. and just standing on a board in general is good practice i guess. I have a long board as well for cruising around in summer.

Might not be skating as much this summer with the indoor snowboard centre opening up (hopefully soon) in Melbourne! ollie

Edit: That freeboarding vid looked sick!  grin might be a retarded question, but how do they slide that easily?? confused

^^ They have six wheels. The two wheels in the middle of the board rotate 360 degrees. The four outside wheels act like a snowboard edge, providing grip through the turn. When you’re turning only the two inside wheels and the two edge wheels are in contact with the ground. Hopefully that explains it somewhat. smile

Actually this video might explain it a bit better.

Cement + Hills = SCARY
Cement + Hills + Little Stones = Death!

Actually Freebords have pretty big wheels. I’ve never had a rock throw me off mine yet. It’s more rain or the road surface changing that can be a little scary when your drifting through a corner. But u just deal with it like you would snowboarding.

C J Parker - 21 August 2011 07:11 PM

Hey Andy, still struggling with skateboarding. I think it is literally the height with you. I am mates with a pro blader, runs the local skate shop here in Chichester.
I always skated, before I snowboarded. I love both skating and snowboarding. I love the feeling of rolling andcarving around, which makes snowboarding such an awesome feeling for me.

Yeah I think your right CJ, I measured my stance on my skateboard compared to my snowboard and even on an XL deck it’s still 4 inches narrower than on my snowboard. Also I just hate not having my feet attached. It really sucks cause I really want to skate.
I took my skateboard and blades to a park yesterday and did both. I’m so much better on blades but the skateboard was still fun in a different way (I’m so rubbish at it though lol)

What is your friend the pro bladers name? I’m curious to see if I’ve heard of him.