The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Skincare & the snow

Hi ladies (and gents if you want)

This is my first season being a weekend warrior and i have a minor dilemma. I have sensitive skin at the best of times and after a day on the mountain wind burn always makes me look like I am burnt (i do wear sunscreen) not to mentioned the natural dry process from mountain air, my skin seems to be suffering.

Anyone have the same issue and I wondered if anyone changed their skin care regime when the ski/board?

I just bought some new night cream hoping that is heavier and will offer more protection.

My skin always goes super red and dry on my first day at the snow. Now I always use a SPF15+ face moisturiser before riding and after the days finished. I find It helps heaps.

Does your sunscreen have any moisturiser in it? I’m the same as K2; I usually use a moisturiser with SPF. Works really well for me.

a facemask will solve all your problems

Gamblor - 05 August 2011 12:55 AM

And that. Facemasks help a lot!

Thanks boys!

I will try the night cream and sunscreen this weekend.

Hey ozgirl- I told consulted my mrs concerning your dilemma, she did a season in Tahoe (and is a redhead) and wanted me to say on her behalf:

“Use the moisturiser brand Simple – great stuff, get the light moisturising lotion for day time and the moisturising crème for nighttime which will reduce sensitivity and dryness or QV has also has a fantastic range.

For sunscreen get Sunsense kids sunscreen. They have a roll on that is wonderful and not thick and nasty and meant for toddlers ie sensitive skin.

P.S. don’t ask boys next time, they are dumb. Good luck & enjoy the snow!”

Thanks a lot Snowdragon - and I didn’t ask boys I posted it in the girls forum. They just kindly gave me their very helpful 2cents grin

ozgirl - 05 August 2011 03:25 AM

Thanks a lot Snowdragon - and I didn’t ask boys I posted it in the girls forum. They just kindly gave me their very helpful 2cents grin

We can be unhelpfully helpfull sometimes cheese,  hopefully some of that works for you

On Saturday and Sunday I used my sisters 30+ sunscreen face moisturizer and my skin is the best in a long while.

I went to Myer to try and get some and without getting a exxy brand the only brand that did one was Natio. But get this - only the men line had it!!

Sexist maybe?? Clearly us woman don’t work outside!

http://www.natio.com.au/natio-for-men/spf-30-face-moisturiser.html

Oz I make sure before I go out I wash my face with a toner and then put on a good day cream. As soon as I get home I wash with a light exfoliant and then use toner and moisturiser. Never had a problem!

rider26 - 05 August 2011 12:59 AM
Gamblor - 05 August 2011 12:55 AM

And that. Facemasks help a lot!

yeah i recommend a face mask! Have been wearing one for a few years now :D They’re not only good for sun protection but also the wind chill factor on the lifts. Look pretty neat some of them too. Good accessory to have on all conditions whilst on the slopes.

Yeah Oz at Cherri Pow you can get Semantics ones in a Louis Vuitton pattern!!! So pretty!!!

I am always covered by a neck gator… even in spring. I can’t tell you the last time i went neck/face naked!

Hey ozgirl,

How did you find your skin after the last trip? I made the change to a moisturiser with SPF 15 a few days before the shred, and was worried about both sunburn and drying out. I used a nivea sunscreen as well as moisturiser throughout, but the problem is it is so thick you feel like you need a spatula to apply!!! I was pretty happy that after 6.5 days riding i hadn’t burnt or dried out too much but i did get a little moisturiser crazy in the evenings to try and avoid it!!

With summer coming up it wont hurt to use moisturiser that does have some sun protection in it, and I did notice that a few brands are starting to include SPF 15 in their range (cant remember names… will check)