The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What type of Boarder Are You?

Mizu Kuma - 02 August 2011 07:16 AM

A couple of companies actually make boards for street!!!!!

They don’t have metal edges!!!!!

I think that the majority of people would use one of their old freestyle boards though????

Lots of companies make street boards. They are generally pure jib boards. Bevelled edges, soft flex, flat between the feet for stability on rails etc.

spaz - 02 August 2011 12:50 AM

What styles of snowboarding are there and what snowboard to use for what terrain,
Do you think these styles are right?

Freeride/All Mountain

AllMountain/Freestyle

Freestyle/Park

Park

Alpine

think your missing the punter one!!

humdingaling - 02 August 2011 01:29 AM

would like to ride a capita charlie slasher or Jones hovercraft but cant justify buying it just for overseas trips…would have no use for it in Australia

Of all the pow focussed boards, the Charlie’s the most suited to AU/NZ conditions, because unlike a Fish/Malolo/Hovercraft, it’s actually got a tail. The Charlie carves like a dream, and kills it in Spring slush too. For a more all-mountain feel, it actually feels pretty good to move your stance forward to make it more centred.

rider26 - 02 August 2011 07:35 AM
Mizu Kuma - 02 August 2011 07:16 AM

A couple of companies actually make boards for street!!!!!

They don’t have metal edges!!!!!

I think that the majority of people would use one of their old freestyle boards though????

Lots of companies make street boards. They are generally pure jib boards. Bevelled edges, soft flex, flat between the feet for stability on rails etc.

I’ve got a 148, brand spank if anyone is chasing one. PM me…

spaz - 02 August 2011 12:50 AM

What styles of snowboarding are there and what snowboard to use for what terrain,
Do you think these styles are right?

Freeride/All Mountain (I think both of these mean the same thing - generally stiffer directional boards)

Rossignol Experience 63 or Capita TFA

Big Mountain (steep riding in the alpine)
Rossignol Experience 63
65 prior khyber split

Freestyle/Park/Street
Capita TFA 59
K2 Quaw quaw 54

Powder
Rossignol Experience 63
60 fish noboard
65 prior khyber split

Alpine (hardboots)
none

I basically have my quiver-of-one Rossi Experience for deep winter, then in March or days with no new snow I’ll grab the capita tfa. Need more days on it though. Will be getting a 63 burton sherlock as another quiver killer. I think I’d like to find a used 58 burton easy livin fv too…but I have too many boards.

Yo, don’t forget pipe too!
Pipe and Park are not the same kind of rider. A big number of park riders claim to be too gangster to ride pipe (when really it’s just cause they suck at it tongue laugh )

And yes sir there is even a specific range of boards for Pipe. They are sometimes called Transition Boards but usually they aren’t marketed as “Pipe” boards cause they won’t sell enough of them. They are called Freestyle boards with a high “transition” or “pipe” rating.
Most people just ride park boards in the pipe (like myself) because pipe isn’t most people main style (though I would have one if I was rich).
A pipe board is usually pretty stiff, camber and the big difference that u won’t see in other boards is a reduced side cut. I know that sounds like a bad thing but a straighter side cut means a faster board and when spinning in the pipe you spin off the opposite edge to u usually do which means you can’t carve into the spin anyway. So side cuts aren’t so important.

So, better add another style of rider and board to the list rocker  PIPE… getting funny looking red head dudes laid since 2006

I agree pipe is it’s own category, but I think pipe boards are changing…or more people are riding non-traditional pipe boards in the pipe. Danny Davis kills it on his easy livin flying v , and Mathieu Crepel was on a park pickel in the olympics! Lots of Burton riders are on the custom x (peetu, kokubo), and I think mason aguirre was on a custom (when he rode for B). Kevin Pearce was on the vapor. I think Torah Bright was on a roxy board with c2 when she won the olympics too

Andy Aitken - 15 August 2011 10:59 AM

PIPE… getting funny looking red head dudes laid since 2006

hahahahahahaha

Yeah, lots of people are kicking ass in the pipe on boards that aren’t really made for it lol. It’s something that I find odd (even Torah is doing it!!!) but I guess they get paid to ride certain boards or maybe they just don’t care and it doesn’t make that much difference to them.
Personally though, if I was riding pipe professionally I would be on a normal camber with the less side cut so my board was cutting the straightest line from wall to wall. I learned that from a Canadian Olympic Pipe rider.
I can see how a C2 could be good but a park pickle? In the Olympic Games?? Surely Gnu has something better suited than that?

Also I think the Custom X and Vapor are stiff, normal cambers and are aimed at Pipe/XL Jumps, so that makes sense to me. But I know there were about 4 people in the finals that were on rockers or hybrids.

It would seem then that pipe boards are more about the tuning.

Danny Davis talkin bout the easy livin and why he likes hybrid boards even for pipe.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ury5vr9Dltw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Aren’t Freeride/All Mountain/stiffer Boards (Regardless of the Camber Mix), often chosen as better “Pipe Boards”???

As opposed to Freestyle/All Mountain/Softer Boards!!!!!

That’s really interesting listening to Danny Davis. I’ve been wanting hear from one of the riders in the olympics that actually use hybrids.
Unfortunately… he didn’t explain it all that well. I’d love Torah to tell us her thoughts.

The scary part is I kind of understand Danny. I started riding on a camber but since switching to rocker, cambers now feel like crap. I’ve been looking for a camber board cause I know they are more aggressive in most areas (other than powder) but I’m yet to find one that feels good… so I bought another rocker blank stare

Funny interview, I thought it was a prank, a lot of me still does.  I guess if everyone involved is high that’s what you get…