The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What type of Boarder Are You?

What styles of snowboarding are there and what snowboard to use for what terrain,
Do you think these styles are right?

Freeride/All Mountain

AllMountain/Freestyle

Freestyle/Park

Park

Alpine

spaz do you want me to move this to Rider Progression?

edit: just noticed you were also asking bout what boards to use for them. feel free to ignore this comment

I think you could add Street to that. Not so much Aus specific, but in NoHe there is definately riders that only ride Street, and dont venture to resorts to ride Park

easy living - all of the above wink

unsure what you mean by alpine..is that like racing?
\  \  positive/positive binding set-up ?

if that is the case ill add back country/powder
i don’t have a specific board for this (just use my regular camber indoor survival) in Japan
i rode with the max set back and rode the binding straighter (15/9) with a 3/4 degree forward lean

would like to ride a capita charlie slasher or Jones hovercraft but cant justify buying it just for overseas trips…would have no use for it in Australia

for everyday riding in Australia i classify myself all mountain/freestyle…..learning to butter & park

15/12 with 1/2 degree forward lean on the Capita indoor on flux DS45 bindings
15/15 with 0 degree forward lean on my DC PBJ with union contacts

Alpine would be race style boarding. Hard boots, race board, big groomed runs.

Add rails / street / urban jibbing to the list. Definitely a different breed of rider.

Check Lucas Magoon…

what is the difference between freeride and all-mountain?

Is there a clear distinction between styles, like, what defines each?
I think Freeride is “back country/powder”

<Update list>
Backcountry/Powder

Freeride

All Mountain

Freestyle
is freestyle and park the same thing
Freestyle/Park

Street

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 02 August 2011 12:54 AM

I think you could add Street to that. Not so much Aus specific, but in NoHe there is definately riders that only ride Street, and dont venture to resorts to ride Park

Alpine

humdingaling - 02 August 2011 01:29 AM

unsure what you mean by alpine..is that like racing?
\  \  positive/positive binding set-up ?

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 02 August 2011 01:44 AM

Alpine would be race style boarding. Hard boots, race board, big groomed runs.

My take on things, (Ya know that I have to put my 2 cents worth in)

All Mountain/Freestyle - Park/Groomers/Off Piste Tricks/Spins/Jibs off Natural/Manmade Features

Freestyle - Tricks/Spins/Jibs Manmade Features Only

Freeride -Carving/Flat Basing Groomers/Off piste/Backcountry

Street - Tricks/Spins/Jibs Suburban Structures

Alpine - Racing/Carving Groomers/Manmade Courses Only

I’d say i’m All Mountain / Freestyle

I ride a Forum Scallywag which is more of a park board but I ride more carefree rather than focusing on carving or speed when I’m not bombing out landings in the park lol.

I might move this to Rider Progression. spaz?

Ok,

What about the boards?
There are freestyle, all mountain, freeride, park and mixes in between. Do you ride the right board for the type of rider you are?

What would you ride for street?

A couple of companies actually make boards for street!!!!!

They don’t have metal edges!!!!!

I think that the majority of people would use one of their old freestyle boards though????

Not forgettin Split Boards, Pow Specific like Fishes, No Boards (Binding Free), and Race Boards!!!!!

For street riding I have my older K2 WWW. Edges grinded flat. Or my Forum Manual seeing I usually have that with me as a second board and any street stuff would be spontaneous so the K2 would be out. (by street in aus, I mean more like village after hours jibbing street type features)