The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

All Mountain Board with Carving Emphasis

Hello,

After doing a bit of research I’m hoping to lock down a board for my upcoming trip to Japan. With future trips to Europe/Canada. Hoping to narrow down my selection including size if possible.

Stats:

84kg
6’3
Size 13 boot
Intermediate to Advanced

I’m basically after a board that will allow me to get into some more backcountry/powder riding, I’ve been spending most on my time on groomers learning how to carve properly and it’s what I’ve enjoyed the most. So I want something that will allow me to carve deep and really charge with stability.

I rode a 166W Burton Flying V Custom for about a week, and whilst no complaints, I’d probably want something that is a bit more aggressive. Had zero issues with catching edges so I image a camber board wouldn’t be too bad. I did have trouble turning the board on double blacks on steep sections, but that’s most likely experience more than anything.

I don’t mind mucking around now and then trying to butter but am not interesting in doing large jumps/park at all.

After reading some other threads here, it seems like something along the lines of the Arbor Bryan Iguchi Pro Camber in a 162 is a reasonable choice. I’ve seen great praise for the Yes Standard but not sure if that’s the correct fit. By no means have I made my mind up, so please make suggestions.

I will be looking to purchase bindings + boots too, probably the Burton Ion + Cartels.

Cheers,

Owen

Welcome to BW, @owen1r!

166W is huge for your weight! ?

I would absolutely look into the YES. Greats. The Greats is one of the best hybrid boards on the market for carving. The shaping of this thing is insane and it also got a core upgrade for 2019. It’s an asymmetrical true twin with asym flex and they’ve also now added asym MidBite. The tech is incredible. Overall, it’s incredibly versatile being a true twin with CamRock, but it carves better than anything else in its class. At 84kg you can stick to the 159 (biggest size it comes in) and the waist width is fine as well (the way MidBite works you get more board under your feet). I would certainly put this on your list to consider: https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/yes-greats-uninc-159-snowboard-2019 (currently sold out but we have another delivery arriving imminently—just hit me up if you want to order).

Also in the YES. range, consider the Optimistic. This board was designed to carve and to rip pow. It’s wider (perfect for your size 13 boots) and designed to be ridden shorter than your normal board. I think it would work well for your specs and it carves as good as anything on the market. https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/yes-optimistic-157-snowboard-2019 (again, hit me up, more on the way).

The other board I’d consider is the Jones Flagship. These just arrived and we’ll have them on the site soon.

Nothing wrong with the Arbor Iguchi Pro Camber either. Full camber with GripTech is always going to carve nicely. And it’s such a beautiful board aesthetically. These will be arriving very soon as well.

Please hit me back with any questions.

I would agree with rider26 to look at the Jones Flagship or YES Optimistic both great boards, I personally have not rode these boards however have got some great feedback from people who have. I would also look at a Capita Spring Break Powder Pill I have used one in Japan for the past 3 seasons and it offers everything you are looking for and come in a wider waist than both the of the other boards so in my opinion like you I have a size 13 boot and like a wider waist, the Powder Pill also has a huge nose and floats extremely well.

Cheers guys,

This probably narrows it down to the Jones Flagship or the Gyuchi, probably leaning towards the Flagship at this stage however.

If I was to go the flagship, would I go with something like the 162W or 165W? I assume by going a little bit bigger will slightly help with Pow float.

Hey @owen1r,

You absolutely do not need to be on the 165W. This is way too big for you. I would even suggest the 159W with a 263mm waist. At most, the 162W. Both of these sizes can easily handle your 84kg weight. With directional CamRock, setback stance, Spoon 3.0… you’ll get plenty of float in pow.

Both of these board are now live on the site:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/jones-flagship-159-wide-snowboard-2019
https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/jones-flagship-162-wide-snowboard-2019

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I went through the same decision process recently, have you considered any of the volume shift directional boards? I went down that route, but here are a few of my details and my reasoning.

Height:6’3”
Boot: us13
Years riding: 14
Ability: solid intermediate becoming advanced.

Old setup:
Board: 2014 Head iRocka 161w
Bindings: Flux TT
Boots: Thirty-two Lashed w/- traditional laces

I enjoy messing around with butters and have little desire to hit any jumps that aren’t natural or a side hit. But the better I get the faster/steeper I want to go. I’ve always ridden a 159w-161w but still suffer heel/toe drag on bigger carves/steep traverses. Ive ridden in Canada, NZ and the US.

New carving setup:
Board: Drake Guerilla 158xw
Bindings: Fix Winslow
Boots: Burton Imperial.

I’ve gone for an stiffer extra wide/volume shift, directional board with propper camber(7 rated). Stiffer boots (7 rated)and bindings. I didn’t want to go full mental Alaska setup because we live in Australia and it’s entirely unnecessary. I feel it’s going to be the stiffest setup needed but still be playfully enough to mess around on the groomers with. The waist width on the new board is 270mm and should completely eliminate toe drag.