The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

My trip to Japan was all thumbs up

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who helped me answer some questions while planning this trip in my previous thread “planning 2018 Japan trip…Help” y’all are rad. http://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/19854,

On the same vein, I thought I would jot down some of my thoughts that might help some who is currently planning a trip.

<Key point> Japan is defiantly worth it <key point/end>

Ive been boarding in a few overseas destinations but after two trips to Japan (nearly 10 yrs apart) its still the best and consistently the best. If you’re thinking, do it. Book a flight and go. Here are some of the fun facts/useful things/quirks I worked out I hope might help you:

My trip summary - 20 days -  8 touristing around Tokyo & Kyoto, 12 snowboarding at Nozowa &Myoko; Kogan.

So one point where our plan where we came unstuck looking to get my GF a new rig.  around Nowzowa and Myoko Kogan there is not much in the intermediate and above gear for sale. That being said the hire gear was awesome – in terms of quality, range and price. Genuine demo boards for 30-40 bucks a day, cheaper for consecutive days.  Nowzowa had a awesome store call sports thanx <http://tomy-r.com/en>., check it out if you go there.

If you are looking to buy new gear you have to check out A district in Tokyo called Jimbocho, particularly Yasukuni Dori (it’s the main street). Its about a ½ km where every 2nd shop is a snow shop (like 2-7 story shops), and they have everything (and I almost mean that literally). If you need stuff you’ll find here. Prices on the shelf were comparable to Australia -sometimes a bit more but don’t be afraid to ask for a deal, just don’t be rude.

Getting around – catch a bullet trains, they’re awesome, nuff said, . don’t worry about reserve class there is always heaps of space.

After a few hectic days tromping around Kyoto I was like ‘man I just want to mellow out a bit before throwing down on the stick’. Fortunately, Nowzowa & Myoko Koagn are magical places where both these things can happen simultaneously. They are both also swelling with awesome craft beers. Nowzowa onsen has a really nice and relaxed sense about the whole place with a little more going on in Myoko Kogan. The people, food and surrounds make it really easy to relax. To the contrary if your looking for 2am night life and DUFF-DUFF, these places maybe not for you. That said so many great bars if you look.

As for the resort and snow, if you’re use to snowboarding in Australia, get onto the squats and start developing those legs; the runs are so looooooooooooooong but by no means just cat-tracks. Snow was pretty good even after a week of blue-birds and great if you ask where the good stuff is at the pub and prepared to work to find it the next day. Also awesome was despite there being quite skill and ability difference between the GF and I, both areas had something to offer us, in most cases on the same run; it was pretty rad being to throw down the fun on the same run with the GF. 

After 12 days (minimum 8hrs in the bindings per day) I was wrecked, toes busted but euphoric. The snow, people, food, beer, accom and beer (yes twice to emphasise it) was awesome. However, with some much terrain and things to do in general I don’t think I will ever feel japan will ever have nothing left to offer. As such I found myself already planning our next trip on the train back to the airport
Quick points:

Hot chocs out of vending machine are better than you would expect – they’re good

5 k is a long way in japan. Don’t expect lodges to come and get you from anywhere other than what is listed on their website or you have in writing.

Robot restaurant is worth the price

get the Snowzat app - works really well

Go to mariKart in Tokyo, make sure you get a Int. driving permit before you leave Australia.

If you have time do a crash course in Japanese. despite people best efforts to smash through the
language barrier to help you, I cant help but feel I missed some awesome things because I couldn’t understand what some people were trying to tell me.

If you have any Questions, happy to help.
Crouse