The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Dry Slopes - NOW WITH PICS!

Slider, you are an inspiration to me and everyone else.
With a newborn, you have so much time to spend on boardworld and still manage to find time soon to go check out the snowflex near yours, very impressive man smile

Well, I’ve not been working the last week and a half, so I have had a little time.
I try to be a good husband.. and it pays off at times like this. When I want to take off and go snowboarding… even on my wife’s birthday, she is excited for me and tells me to go. I wake up at night with her and change diapers through the night - because after that I get to go back to sleep, whereas she stays up for the next hour feeding him. Its a small part, but she appreciates it. I also always try to get some quality time with him during the day. She sees that I value that and it shows her that I care. Its really simple. People make relationships and married life out to be something horrible, but we tend to make it complex ourselves…

I am excited about tomorrow.
I pulled out my board and boots and gear this evening.
Stopped by the bank to make sure I have the money.
I’m praying there wont be any rain from 5PM to about 8PM when I will be there.
They are open from 5-10PM, but I will only stay a little while.

I will take photos and bring the story back with me about how it was and what it was like.

snownut - 19 June 2009 01:04 AM
snowslider - 13 June 2009 01:20 PM

there is one opening up in my area… who has been to one and what are the pros and cons.
I will find out the exact material, I dont know right now.

Where are you from Snowslider. Not Australia i take it.
How good would one of the indoor snow fields like in Dubai be.

There was/is talk of opening a snowdome in WA of all places. Due to the GFC however, this has been put on hold.

http://www.snowpark.com.au/Default.htm

snowslider - 20 August 2009 06:45 PM

Well, I’ve not been working the last week and a half, so I have had a little time.
I try to be a good husband.. and it pays off at times like this. When I want to take off and go snowboarding… even on my wife’s birthday, she is excited for me and tells me to go. I wake up at night with her and change diapers through the night - because after that I get to go back to sleep, whereas she stays up for the next hour feeding him. Its a small part, but she appreciates it. I also always try to get some quality time with him during the day. She sees that I value that and it shows her that I care. Its really simple. People make relationships and married life out to be something horrible, but we tend to make it complex ourselves…

I will take photos and bring the story back with me about how it was and what it was like.

looking forward eagerly to the photos and your story man.
just out of interest, if it was summer and stinking hot, wouldnt it be rather annoying to go snowboarding cos you feet’d be cooking in the heat.

Branski - 20 August 2009 10:03 PM
snownut - 19 June 2009 01:04 AM
snowslider - 13 June 2009 01:20 PM

there is one opening up in my area… who has been to one and what are the pros and cons.
I will find out the exact material, I dont know right now.

Where are you from Snowslider. Not Australia i take it.
How good would one of the indoor snow fields like in Dubai be.

There was/is talk of opening a snowdome in WA of all places. Due to the GFC however, this has been put on hold.

http://www.snowpark.com.au/Default.htm

Sounds good, a reason to go to WA raspberry That being said I think Perth is alright. Unfortunate about on hold but hopefully it stays in the works.

Looking forward to the photos and verdict

nic - 20 August 2009 11:30 PM

Sounds good, a reason to go to WA raspberry

Oh my god! no way! you found a reason to head out to WA?? this is groundbreaking stuff :p

golfpunklegend - 20 August 2009 10:52 PM

looking forward eagerly to the photos and your story man.
just out of interest, if it was summer and stinking hot, wouldnt it be rather annoying to go snowboarding cos you feet’d be cooking in the heat.

I will find a way to bear it…
Wouldnt you?

So, it is 4:03 PM and I WOULD be hitting the road, but it is POURING rain, way too much to ride in…
hmmmm. tomorrow I will try again, but then it will be Friday and possibly much more people there, oh well.

EDIT:

Rain stopped.
It is wet outside, I can deal with that. By the time I get there, it should end raining soon.

snowslider - 21 August 2009 01:04 PM

So, it is 4:03 PM and I WOULD be hitting the road, but it is POURING rain, way too much to ride in…
hmmmm. tomorrow I will try again, but then it will be Friday and possibly much more people there, oh well.

EDIT:

Rain stopped.
It is wet outside, I can deal with that. By the time I get there, it should end raining soon.

Whoooopeeee! less people on the lift then wink

Pics are coming!!!
I went for a little over 2 hours, had a great time. So glad wifey was supportive about me going. I’m super stoked.
Pictures are coming, I’ve got to host ‘em and post ‘em.

snowslider - 21 August 2009 06:58 PM

Pics are coming!!!
I went for a little over 2 hours, had a great time. So glad wifey was supportive about me going. I’m super stoked.
Pictures are coming, I’ve got to host ‘em and post ‘em.

come on dude, you got me all pumped up….
the suspense is really killing me.

I fell asleep last night trying to get them all uploaded.

Quarter pipe at the bottom of the run. Difficult to get enough speed to get to the lip. part of it was because it was flat for a moment right before it and that lost a lot of speed. Each time I was hitting it faster and getting a little higher.

DFD box

flat box, and one of the 3 skiers that was there that day.

View from the bottom. Note the surface lift on the left, narrow but sufficient.
The entire mountain was 2 runs down. one with the 2 boxes, and one with the steep drop in and the roller / jumps.

View of the top drop in from behind. you had to sort of climb up. it was narrow at the top, which may be good because it only allows one rider to drop at a time.

View from the top of the cornice / drop-in

View of the top of the other trail from looking down from the cornice ‘peak’

Close up of the bristles.
It was softer than packed snow when you fell.

Each sheet was seamed with staples, but they wouldnt come in contact with your base.

Where there wasnt snowflex, there was green turf, and where there wasnt green turf, there was fakegrass, like when you stepped out of the lodge.

These are the sprayers that mist the water onto the surface and keep it wet. I heard talk about how it drains and the water is recycled.

Beautiful scene from the top of Lynchburg, VA

I was there about from 6PM to 8:30PM and the sun was setting as I was leaving.
What is missing from this picture is a BW sticker…
Sorry to disappoint.