The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Cost of Living

hey all, so far i have read much of this forum and it is killer, most of you have been around and know your shit etc.

i am heading to alberta for the 09/10 season, (lake louise and sunshine village (working @ lake louise)) and i am trying to plan my aussie winter (to maximise my riding here) so i got enough coin for the nth american season.

whats going to cost a fuckload and what is going to be easy on the pocket…
and if anyone has any info on whats sick to do there (besides snowboarding) and anything i should or already know before i go…

any help would be sweet, like cost of beer, general food etc.
i know that the pay rate is significantly less over there than here…

any help would be sweet…

peace

i live and work in whistler.. heres my experience in some quick points

for my shared bedroom i pay 400$/month and share it with 1 other guy, in a 3 bedroom house (5 people total).
my first year instructing for the mountain i earned ~12.50$/hour on snow and less off.. generally about 600$ / 2 weeks. In the summer painting I make around 1100/2 weeks , which allows me to save for the winter. This next season with my accumulated hours I’ll be making closer to 15$/hr on snow. other monthly expenses include a bus pass (55$) , cell phone (50$) and groceries (much more expensive than other parts of canada.. ~100$-150$/week).

so yeah… in terms of ‘other stuff to do’.,,,, i live to ride and skate. if im not working , riding skating or recovering from the first 3, im sleeping. once you move to lake louise you should forget about the bar scene,  city / night life etc and focus on keeping your body in good shape and experiencing the outdoors… If you plan to ride everyday going out every night is not a realistic option,,, party sometimes, but its not your main concern.

cold beer is more expensive than warm beer. in bc they sell both. for a 24 of half decent beer, youre looking between 26-45$
other stuff is cheaper than the rest ofthe world, far better, and more plentiful… you can figure that out

ch

Cook at home as much as possible. It’s great to go out and have a bit of fun, but you need to realise why you are there… to ride! It’s very easy to get sucked into the drinking/partying side of things, but avoid it at all costs. It’s takes way too much money and energy to maintain. It’s too easy to go for a few beers and a feed after riding… there’s $30 gone every day. Pick your nights and events wisely, don’t get sucked into everything. There WILL be people who are there to party/drink and they will try to get you to go out with them every time. Just remember there are more important things than drinking and blowing cash partying. Have your fun but be smart about it. You are there to ride above all else, don’t forget it. That’s the best advice I can give you. Have fun!

I’m with rider26. If you are there to ride, avoid the party scene. In the season just passed in sweden, I only went out twice the whole season (new years & end of season work party) and I don’t regret it one bit. I got way more time on the hill and improved my snowboarding a bunch & wouldn’t have it any other way. I had heaps more fun as a result.
Stay home, make cheap food & watch a movie instead & you’ll get way more out of your season than 5 albums of 60 pics each of drunken people and times on facebook.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got nothing against going out & drinking, I just think you’ll get more out of your season if you ride heaps, rather than drink heaps.

thanks guys great advice, at this point the drinking and partying was one of my concerns (balancing with riding and work), as i know how hard it is to ignore a drink after a long day. but as cords said about the facebook photos i’d rather come home with an album of riding shots, rather than 6 albums of drunk randoms. cheers

a beer at the bar will cost you$2.50 if you are lucky, sometimes there are happy hour deals for less.
If you like mixed drinks, you can easily find yourself paying $10 or sp for a drink.
Buying your beer at a grocery store, will save you a load of $.
and if you smoke,,, just quit, it is good for your health and just a waste or $.

To repeat what had been said, but in different words.
Build the memories on what you are heading to Tahoe to do… ride.
Therefore spend your time riding.

Late nights after work means you’re not spending your free time riding on the hill.
Early turns may be your only turns.

“I’d rather spin a 7 than drink a beer”
- Jeremy

Go to scandinavia instead…...no $12.50 an hour there.
I was earning $28 AU an hour plus tips as a bartender.
Although its kind of hard to get a front of house job without speaking Swedish/norweigian etc
but even a cleaning job will get you $15 plus an hour
we paid 4000kronar which is about $800 a month for a 2/3bedroom house.

cons: its really expensive to buy alcohol in the bars but about the same as Aus in the bottleshops

and skandi girls are gorgeous!

Hey interesting topic and some great info and advice!!

CRACKERS - 11 July 2009 08:36 AM

Go to scandinavia instead…...no $12.50 an hour there.
I was earning $28 AU an hour plus tips as a bartender.
Although its kind of hard to get a front of house job without speaking Swedish/norweigian etc
but even a cleaning job will get you $15 plus an hour
we paid 4000kronar which is about $800 a month for a 2/3bedroom house.

cons: its really expensive to buy alcohol in the bars but about the same as Aus in the bottleshops

you were bartending tho… you couldnt pay me enough to serve drinks to drunk tourists here in whistler. they all suck. i will get more this yr as an instructor, and woulda instructed for LESS than 12.50 if nesc… it sthe best job in the world, hands down, bar none. pun intended.

hey guys thanks for all the help,

the scandinavia option would be great but i am looking at some jobs already in canada so its prob a no go, but i mean it would be a sweet place to shred. i am sure that there are some pretty sweet looking canadian women as well

Be prepared to work two jobs, Canada can get really expensive. I’m used to being busy, so i dont mind working that much, just remember riding is your priority, so try find jobs that wont interfear with that.

Great thread guys! I know nothing about jobs overseas so this is truly a revelation.
nice subtle pun there shredlife wink