The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Flying squirrel contest.

I better get myself back to yoga. Right now that back hand is getting nowhere near it needs to for this grab. Haha.

deanobruce - 10 June 2011 05:51 AM

i foresee myself getting completely smashed…so worth it!

my understanding of the trick is its a method, with your trailing hand brought around in front of you to also grab the heel edge. amiright?

I would say so. Let’s wait for Aidy to confirm. Maybe he can post a photo of himself strapped into his board showing us the exact grab.  tongue wink

Im just picturing it the otherway would look more like a flying squirril

Flying squirrel
Both hands reach behind the heelside and (tweak) the board behind his/her riders back
This is all Wiki said

Flying Squirrel Air

A very controversial trick, but nevertheless stylish like a superman frontflip. First turn 90 degrees in a frontside direction shifty style. Now bend your knees like you’re going to do a method, then both hands grab the heel edge (lein and stalefish style). To style it, lean to your front so it looks like your really flying. Finish with first letting go your rear hand, then hold it late, and let go with the other. Swing the board back with a 90 degree spin back (shifty) or complete the 180.

so, it seems to be front hand lein air, back hand stalefish. Lets see what Aidy says

Here is what I found:

Moz ‘Flying Squirrel’
Moz performs a flying squirrel, a trick that he learnt from the PS2 game SSX!

Is the squirell air the same as the fabled “meat curtains” grab promoted by torstein? raspberry

as far as i’m concerned, a flying squirrel is front hand performing a method style grab, either heel edge between the bindings or just outside and then the back hand performing a mirror imaged version.  basically do a method then do a switch method (ie. use the other hand and ride switch) and then do them both at the same time.  If you imagine what this would look like it’s not so different to the position people take when flying wing suits or in fact squirrals in flight!  Jeremy props for putting up a prize and I can’t wait for some photos…..especially of mizu!

Meat curtains I understand to be both hands through your legs from front to back then grabbing the heel edge.  Double roast beef, but their name is way better!

Aidy - 10 June 2011 07:55 AM

as far as i’m concerned, a flying squirrel is front hand performing a method style grab, either heel edge between the bindings or just outside and then the back hand performing a mirror imaged version.  basically do a method then do a switch method (ie. use the other hand and ride switch) and then do them both at the same time.  If you imagine what this would look like it’s not so different to the position people take when flying wing suits or in fact squirrals in flight!  Jeremy props for putting up a prize and I can’t wait for some photos…..especially of mizu!

Beef curtains I understand to be both hands through your legs from front to back then grabbing the heel edge.  Double roast beef, but their name is way better!

If we start getting some decent entries I will probably bump up the prize pack. smile

I’m definitely going in this one!

Are we allowing Airbag jump entries? I rekon keep them on the snow.

haha yeah no air bags, also beef curtains is heel edge with both your hands but through your legs i think antisense smile

Rick0889 - 10 June 2011 08:49 AM

haha yeah no air bags, also beef curtains is heel edge with both your hands but through your legs i think antisense smile

thats correct!