The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Which Bindings

Ok guys so myself and my mates are heading to NZ this season and we all decided it would be a good chance for us to deck ourselves out with new boards.

After originally going a 2010 Ride Kink 152 I later changed my mind to the 2010 GNU Street Series BTX 152, I just had to get in on this Banana Tech after one of the boys bought himself a 2009 Lib-Tech Skate Banana. And with the others riding 2010 Ride DH2 155 and 2010 GNU Park Pickle 153 it’s going to feel more like a demo tour I’m thinking, pumped to try out some new gear!!

But my question is, my boy riding the 09 Banana is having issues deciding what bindings to go with, he is rides 50% park and 50% mountain (his words not mine) so I’m guessing he needs something responsive yet with abit of give, as with anything in snowboarding price isn’t really an issue.

Any of you guys have any thoughts?

Peace.

If he is doing 50% mountain and 50% park he would want something with a solid base plate and not so stiff high back.
Ride bindings with the aluminium base plate give torsional response which means quicker edge to edge. Which means a softer high back can give a more forgiving flex for park. Something like the delta or maybe the new contra band.
Burton CO2 with the stiff base and softer high back for that all round ride.
Raiden the zero binding or the new pusher.
Union force.
These are just suggestions though. Take into account the riders boot size, weight, riding style and previous bindings. Jump into your local board store and chat to the guys in there. It’s easier to make the decision seeing and feeling a product.
Hope this has been helpful.

I was going to suggest something like the Burton Cartel - just a good, versitile binding, without paying too much.

Does he have a budget to work with?

Cheers guys thanks for the feedback didn’t get around to talking to him about it as he just picked up a pair of Forum Republics.

Should be good to see how they go!

Peace.

UNION FORCE’S
end of topic!
Hands down best all round binding

rome 390s.. all metal side pieces for stifness, super super flexi high back for pressing and a REALLY great strap system. the new ones coming out for… next yr.. in AUS will be incredable. But yeah, I rode 390s on my Banana all year and woulda been nothing but stoked if the ladders hadnt stripped due to usin Burton boots..

Shredlife - 20 July 2009 02:58 PM

rome 390s.. all metal side pieces for stifness, super super flexi high back for pressing and a REALLY great strap system. the new ones coming out for… next yr.. in AUS will be incredable. But yeah, I rode 390s on my Banana all year and woulda been nothing but stoked if the ladders hadnt stripped due to usin Burton boots..

I’m very curious how the Burton boots damaged the Rome binding straps.

snowslider - 20 July 2009 07:49 PM

The 08 09 Ions have possible the thinnest shell of any boot ive ever had… although thats great for board feel and weight, its terrible when the leather cuff gets caught between the strap and the back of the binding… basically pinching the leahter…

So when I crank down the binding the ratchet thinks its got room to move, gets about half way clamped on the leather then lets off. Thus when done up for 118 days, you go through about 5 pairs of binding ladders.. and never really have the tightest tightest possible setup. I’m lucky.. I like my ankle strap a lil looser than most, and boots right cranked and tight. I still love the 390s , just cant wait to rock proper boots with them.

So the boot and binding combo was not as compatible as you would have liked.

Ive seen and had many binding ladders get ‘stripped’ where the teeth to the ladder doesnt hold up.
Especially when it is a metal ratchet on a plastic ladder - the metal is much stronger and you feel like you can get another click or two - when POP it slips out of place.
I used to tighten the ankle strap much tighter than needed, of course and that is what caused this.

got the 390s as well

seem to do the job well, flexy & responsive

they seem a small sized binding and suit a smaller boot shell size

for my 2c, I have a GNU street series 154- great board and I paired it up with ride NRc bindings, I am really happy great board, great bindings and I had heaps of fun on them in NZ.  The bindings need a technique to get them mounted but once done they are great, really adjustable and really comfortable.  hope you enjoy your street.

390’s seem to be the pick of the crop. i have had them for 3 years and never had a problem, from jap pow to park they are uber responsive….

I agree with rider26. Burton Cartel is good.

My friend has a pair and he mainly does freeride with alot of switch, I’ve also tried them out myself, and we both find them great. They are also not going to take a huge chunk out of the wallet. The fiber/nylon baseplate is also very versatile. Stiff enough for freeride, not to stiff for freestyle/park. It also has a great straps (especially the toe strap) which are comfortable and the ratchet buckles are really easy to release (from experience).

Its a great binding that fits what he wants to do/does.

Forum republics are good, but I would’ve have chosen the Cartels.

Shredlife - 21 July 2009 01:41 AM
snowslider - 20 July 2009 07:49 PM

The 08 09 Ions have possible the thinnest shell of any boot ive ever had… although thats great for board feel and weight, its terrible when the leather cuff gets caught between the strap and the back of the binding… basically pinching the leahter…

So when I crank down the binding the ratchet thinks its got room to move, gets about half way clamped on the leather then lets off. Thus when done up for 118 days, you go through about 5 pairs of binding ladders.. and never really have the tightest tightest possible setup. I’m lucky.. I like my ankle strap a lil looser than most, and boots right cranked and tight. I still love the 390s , just cant wait to rock proper boots with them.

i don’t understand what you are saying. what is the leather you refer too? the ladders aren’t leather, the straps aren’t leather, the boots aren’t leather. if your ratchets are stripping your ladders its because either you are going for more clicks and the strap is at its maximum or the 390 ratchets are junk and are skipping backwards on the straps.

Union DATA, the sickest bind ever

shredlife…

Could you provide pics?