The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Best boots for wider feet

Hey guys,

I ended up getting dodged by being sold a pair of men’s boots that were “pretty much the same except the colours”.  What rubbish!  I guess I should have spent more time in them but the guy was too busy selling my other half his snowboard to pay much attention to the fit.  So the boots are way too wide around the heel and ankle, and nothing I do stops my heels lifting two or three inches!  Any tips on a good boot which is a little wider across the widest part of the foot (I have very flat feet from so much running)  but is ladies ankle and heel sized, not men’s?  I am a Size 41 or 9 - 9.5 ladies shoe.

What boots did you get sold? Sometimes some extra work is needed even on new boots to get a good fit. If you have flat feet foot beds are a must.

Someone made a comment on here about a certain boot maker and how they tend to be either narrow or wide… I THINK it was that Burton wasnt made for the wide foot.
And I THINK that is what it was, because I have always been told I have a wider foot, and Burton boots work just fine for me.

I hope to hear from some shop guys on this…
The thing is that it seems that some boot makers totally switch up their game after every few years.

snowslider - 08 July 2009 01:35 AM

Someone made a comment on here about a certain boot maker and how they tend to be either narrow or wide… I THINK it was that Burton wasnt made for the wide foot.
And I THINK that is what it was, because I have always been told I have a wider foot, and Burton boots work just fine for me.

I hope to hear from some shop guys on this…
The thing is that it seems that some boot makers totally switch up their game after every few years.

Most boot companies tend to cater to the mid width foot. So someone with a C width foot will tend to fit in most boots.
In a range of boots the cheaper ones will tend to have more space in them because of the cheaper construction and less features to the boot. As you go up in a range of boots the fit does change according to the company. They usually make the high end ones more of a snug fit for performance reasons.
Each foot is different and each person can tolerant different things. Someone with a wide foot might be able to squeeze into a tighter boot but someone else just may not be able to.
Thirty two are known for wide boots but some of them this year are slightly narrower than last year. Boot companies do change around their fits so its always good to check what the new stuff is like and feel the fit. I guess that is the advantage of a shop environment.

jkernot - 07 July 2009 11:52 AM

Hey guys,

I ended up getting dodged by being sold a pair of men’s boots that were “pretty much the same except the colours”.  What rubbish!  I guess I should have spent more time in them but the guy was too busy selling my other half his snowboard to pay much attention to the fit.  So the boots are way too wide around the heel and ankle, and nothing I do stops my heels lifting two or three inches!  Any tips on a good boot which is a little wider across the widest part of the foot (I have very flat feet from so much running)  but is ladies ankle and heel sized, not men’s?  I am a Size 41 or 9 - 9.5 ladies shoe.

Hey jkernot,

I’m sorry to hear about your experience. You deserve better customer service than that. They should take your snowboard boots back and at fix the situation. Please call the store, speak to the manager and explain what happened. It shouldn’t be a problem but if there is please email me (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) and I will speak to them for you.

I can tell you from what you are describing that the boots are completely and utterly wrong for your feet. No amount of adjustments will fix that. You need to return those boots. Have you used the boots for snowboarding yet?

I would like you to read through the boot fitting article I wrote. It doesn’t suggest what boot to buy, but it will better equip you with the knowledge to make the right decision. A good boot fitter is a must but it helps greatly if you also know what to look for and how the boot should feel.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/content/category/boot-fitting/

CJ’s suggestion of footbeds for flat feet is spot-on. To get the perfect fit you should consider buying custom molded footbeds. Please let me know if you have any further problems.

32’s are wide. They also feature a fully heat-moldable liner, so it contours to your feet. I’m happy with mine so far.

Heat moldable liners…
Say you have a narrow foot, and you have a wide fitting boot.
How does heat molding help?
I can understand that if your foot filled the space provided, but if your foot is much smaller than the space (maybe the rider should size down?) where does all the space go?
Does heat molding shrink the liner any?

snowslider - 08 July 2009 04:50 PM

Heat moldable liners…
Say you have a narrow foot, and you have a wide fitting boot.
How does heat molding help?
I can understand that if your foot filled the space provided, but if your foot is much smaller than the space (maybe the rider should size down?) where does all the space go?
Does heat molding shrink the liner any?

If you have a narrow foot and a wide boot, quite simply the bot fit is wrong and there isn’t much you can do to fix it. Footbeds can helps a bit to stabilise the foot but essentially the problem is still there. Heat molding won’t do anything to stabilise your foot.

Heat molding makes the liner compress to the contours of the foot inside. It doesn’t shrink at all, it just makes it soft and plyable.

So it will improve it, but it may still fall short of the ideal fit.
I figured that was logical.

jkernot - 07 July 2009 11:52 AM

Hey guys,

if you are going to be keeping these boots, a few things you can try
1- footbeds
2- if have stiff ankles, heel lifts will help
3- getting j bars made up
4- tongue eliminator- this is a kind of padding that joins your onto the tongue of the boot and takes space away keeping your ankle and heel more fixed

my feet are as wide as feet get and burton boots fit me the best.

I love the room in my ThrityTwo’s. I found that they are alot more roomier than any other boot I’ve tried on, mind you my options were kinda limited at the time of me purchasing my boots.

Recommended none the less.