The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The Forward Lean adjustment on your bindings.

I was trying to decide if what I am about to write should end up in the Equipment area, or the Progression area, but I have decided on the Equipment area. I say this because I think at one time FL (forward lean) greatly increased my riding abilities).

The high back (HB) of your binding has a setting on it where it can lean forward. This will press against your lower leg and force your ankle joint closed (bringing your toes closer to your shin) which makes you bend your knees, if you dont want to fall over.
This is an adjustable setting for a reason.
If you have not played with it I would encourage you to take a day… or at the least a couple of runs and try some different things.

As always I will advocate making these changes to your equipment at home and putting your boots on and strapping in while on the carpet. Do this in your pajamas if you want. Just dont do it for the first time on the hill if you only get a few days in each season - it will waste precious time.

Learn how the FL adjusts on your brand of binding. Notice that when the HB is set at the angle where there is the LEAST amount of FL you have a large distance that your legs can move (at the ankle joint) before your body’s movement demands an edge to edge response in the board.
The opposite will also be true. When you set the FL on the HB all the way forward your ankle loses it’s ability to move and so any lower leg movement will cause an immediate and big response in the board.
Find a bit of middle ground with this setting, one that wont burn your leg muscles to stand still while strapped in.

Many riders prefer to keep the HB all the way back so they have a full range of motion in thier lower leg. This would typically be more of a freestyle set up where you want the ability to make large body movements without demanding a response in the board. This is also why softer equipment is safer and more fun for freestyle.
A stiffer board and binding set up… AND a good amount of FL on your bindings gives you a very fast edge to edge response in your board, it helps keep your knees bent, and your center of mass lower to the ground. these aspects are valuable for freeriding and tearing up some aggressive and dynamic turns, especially carved turns on groomed terrain.

There was a time in my own riding that I really wanted to advance my skills in making nice turns. Increasing the FL on my bindings allowed me to get a faster response from my body’s movement into the board. I also started to use stiffer bindings and a stiffer board as well to increase this effect.
I have found that increasing the FL can help others in the same phase of their riding as well.

Forward lean is great to play around with. I find the effects of foward lean are far greater than any other adjustment you can make to your setup. Back in the day increasing foward lean also made a dramatic improvement in my riding.

The advantages and disadvantages you mentioned are absolutely correct. You sacrifice ankle movement for response and a more aggressive stance. You hit the nail on the head when you said “Find a bit of middle ground with this setting”. That middle ground is key, you shouldn’t be uncomfortable by the amount of forward lean on your bindings, small increments can have dramatic effects. Personally I think the forward lean setting should mirror the angle of your calf when you are standing in your natural stance, possibly even less so you have a bit of room to move back.

I don’t like playing around with the setting once I find what works, it’s not like setback where you might change your stance for different conditions. I think it’s important to find a comfortable and versitile forward lean setting. I use a decent amount of forward lean, but I still find it very confortable for freestyle. I have never had any problems in the park using forward lean, but it can definitely happen if you take it too far. You will find a lot of park riders use no forward lean at all, but I don’t see then carving at high performance either.

All in all, the correct amount of forward lean can improve your riding dramatically (especially stance and turn performance). Start wth a small amount of forward lean and make small adjustments. If you have any calf bite from the high back or it feels unatural, back it off. Like anything you need to try different settings to feel the differences, every one has different preferences and everyones’ body is different (i.e. more flexible ankle joint).

I’m happy to keep discussing this…

Ah good the forward lean is getting a look…

I found both your comments very interesting!

I recently got my first board/bindings etc so started messing around with it. Previously I had hired and I think there was always no forward lean on the bindings. For my first ride with my new board I set it at 7 out 10 (10 being fully forward). It was definitely a mistake as it felt really odd to make my turns. Like you guys mentioned the edges grab very quickly, the board being way too responsive. I then quickly put it down to 2 out of 10 and as it felt comfortable stopped experimenting. I will no doubt experiment more in the future.

It is somet hing to revisit every once in a while and readjust where it fits you best.

I find that each season I start with backing off from where I had it at the end of the previous season.
Once my legs get back into shape again I can tolerate the more aggressive FL that I prefer.

Thanks Jeremy for backing up the comments, I like what you said here.

You will find a lot of park riders use no forward lean at all, but I don’t see then carving at high performance either.

so true.
So many riders go right to the park after learning to like a few basic turns together. it takes much longer for them to develop some good turning skills.

On my Bindings. I always set the high back 1 or two notches foward. So I still get the park feeling but also have the control for my carving

I like a bit of forward lean also ....2 - 3 notches….keeps my knees bent - I would hate to bit a bump with a straight knee….ouchies!

wearing those cartels of yours Kort i’m surprised you aint a hard booter wink

If you have really stiff ankle joints, forward lean will help.

yeah always been a big fan of a bit of forward lean.. as said previously can be overlooked quite easily much like rotating the high backs around for better support when you start running a bit of angle on your bindings.

Generally ride with a notch or 2 forward… helps control and keeping your knees bent smile

lol when i try and set my bindings down 1 notch, my boots wont fit and i have to unscrew my front strap

its handy to turn it back when in the park, can save alot of pain - personal experience

Wow this was a really great post. until now, i didnt have the slightest idea how much those little notches on my bindings could do…
Ive just bought a board and bindings, havent riden it yet. ive always had hire boards.

so now i know to experiment a bit with that.
wow 2/10 doesnt seem like much, but it sure sounds like it.
ill give it a go now on the carpet, in my pj’s wink  seriously.

But if anyone could help, im not sure what angle stance i should be riding.. Ive heard duck foot, say 12 and 12 degrees is the worst thing to do, but others think its good.
A bit of guiding light would be appreciated, or a link to a thread would be good.

Cheers

Hey DannyB, have a read of this article I put together on stance and setup: Stance and Setup

If you still have any questions please let me know.

rider26 - 17 June 2010 01:42 AM

Hey DannyB, have a read of this article I put together on stance and setup: Stance and Setup

If you still have any questions please let me know.

Hey yeah thanks thats a great page.