The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Literature-anyone a fan?

Poll: How would you rate your interest in literature?
Total Votes: 18
pushkin, dumas and steinbeck are like brothers to me. (10)
I wish i was more like huckleberry finn, what a dude. (8)
I’ve read the hobbit (6)
Does harry potter count? (4)
Transworld? (2)
I’m surprised i’m bothering to read this now! (0)

I’m a big fan but I realise it’s not to most peoples tastes…..
I guess I just wanted to guage what people are into on this site (except snowboarding obviously!) and if possible perhaps spark some discussion on what peoples favourites are.  I’m always keen on recommendations from people who share a similar taste….

Apologies for the arrogant nature of the poll….i wanted to make it slightly less dull then a straight numical list.

Yeah that was me!!!!!  red face I did however enjoy readin ya thread Aidy!!!!

Although I have read quite a few over the years, when it comes to books I am dead set hopeless!!!! Short attention span maybe????

I like reading, but only for fun…what I mean is, I only read a book if it interests me - not for literature’s sake! I like historical fiction a lot (especially kinda medieval stuff), biographies and any book that’ll make me laugh. I also have a big affinity still with many of the books I loved as a kid. e.g. Roald Dahl’s stuff.

I really enjoy reading, however I really dont read novels as much as I would like to or should

Some times Ill read 10 books in a month, other times I wont read a book in 10months.
If I like a book I cant put it down until its finished, so I cant start reading one if I have anything else vaguely important to do…..like study.
Ive wasted a lot of time on fantasy type books though! especially on planes!

Since leaving highschool (in 2004), I have read Harry Potter Books, Dan Brown Books (Davinci Code, Digital Fortress, Angels and Demons etc) and Steig Laarson Books (Girl with Dragon Tattoo, Played with Fire etc)

I have read a lot, I read all kinds of stuff, I do enjoy Ernest Hemmingway and Jack London a lot, probably really the only authors that would count as literary figures.  Read a lot of Biggles books in my younger days, bit of Hardy Boys, lots of Alistair Maclean.  Read a fair bit of cold war stuff by Craig Thomas and Frederick Forsyth amongst others.  Some book I have read dozens of times, others I just read once.  I really enjoyed Stephen Kings books under his pseudonym Richard Bachman, most people would be familiar with one of them, Arnie starred in the movie of the same name The Running Man, bit different to the book.

Just finished watching the Adjustment Bureau, it was adapted from a book by Philip K Dick, turns out he wrote books that Blade Runner, Total Recall and Minority Report were based on, think I might have to get hold of some of them as I really liked the movies.

When I’m getting on and off planes I tend to find myself buying books from the military section, SAS Sniper, Apache and other similar stuff.  My favourite books have always been based around that sort of thing either fiction, biographical or non fiction.  Roald Dahl did some pretty interesting books in that vein as well unbelievably.

Read some funny books as well, I like Jeremy Clarksons stuff, always entertaining and light, George MacDonald Fraser as well, his books about the Scottish army are hilarious, never read The Flash series though.

Def check out all of philip k dick’s books. They are soo amazing. the movies are nothing like them.

Also Haruki Murakami’s books are amazing.

I just finished all the books in the Dune series. That was pretty epic.

I’m really enjoying a game of thrones by george r.r. martin right now

the Stieg Larsson books are sick! I really like how he wrote all these insignificant details…like what they ordered at burger king, what they ate with their coffee and stuff like that. Completely useless but for some reason I really enjoyed that style.

oh and like crackers I go through definite reading phases. I read nothing for a few months to a year and then read non-stop for a few months. Just depends whats going on in life at that time.

I have read a bit; because of my years studying acting much of what I’ve been drawn too is on the NIDA reading list and covers a massive spectrum from science to complete fiction. ie: science “A complete history of time” - Steven Hawkins through to Harry Potter (crap))

“Catcher in the Rye” - awesome

“On the Road” by Jack Kerouac - changed my life, but the background of how it was constructed is necessary to completely understand the way it changed the world - which it did without a doubt. I consider it the most influential book of the modern age. I mean, it’s where the Beatles got their name (at a minimum of it’s influence).

“The Bible” - best re-right of history by the victorious ever! and I’ve read it many times. Good fantasy read also. And read properly on a scholarly level an insight into the evil of humanity. On a philosophical level all it does is open doorways and is virtually useless as a guide.

One day I’ll properly read “The Republic” by Plato - I will not go into it’s importance because; if you know - you know! If you don’t your a pawn.

I used to be so into books when I was younger - not so much now!! Think the last book I read was the Natascha Kampusch story…

I enjoy reading but a general lack of time is a constant issue in my life these days…

My most recent purchase was ‘A Brief History of Time’ by Stephen Hawking. Michelle’s brother borrowed it from me over Christmas and hopefully I’ll get it back sometime soon so I can actually read it haha.

I wish i was more like huckleberry finn…...........

Warren Chapstick - 07 May 2011 01:13 AM

I wish i was more like huckleberry finn…...........

You are Huckleberry Fin!!!!! Now get on a raft and get out on that lake!!!!! And take fatima n eddie with ya!!!!!

I actually enjoyed readin Ben Elton’s fictional mind warps!!!!!

Last book that I read was OCCY!!!! Took me a while even though I still enjoyed it!!!!! I did read the Mick Fanning just prior though!!!!!