The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Summer backcountry shreds

Since having the stroke almost 4 months ago, riding a line this summer was one of my short term goals. I managed 4 tours in the last month and my riding has steadily got better. In the first week of December there was a lot of rain, almost 200mm, so going on this tour I was super worried there would be no snow left.

on the way out

riding a sneaky line on the way out

At this time of year Club Lake is the only place holding snow that has an exciting line. When we arrived at Carruthers I looked over the edge and noticed there was no snow leading to the chute, just mud. I couldn’t see into the chute from the peak due to how steep it is. I slowly climbed down to the chute entrance and was stoked to see there was enough snow in it to ride.

looking down to the chute entrance, I was getting worried at this point there was no snow

watching a storm roll in

my mate in the centre goating down to the chute

I dropped into the chute but wasn’t happy with how I rode. I sketched out on my heel edge during a turn and just didn’t feel balanced. Since the stroke I’ve had issues riding steeps and my weight transfer onto the front foot during transitions. I also get heel drag on anything over 35 degrees due to my massive feet so need to transition quickly to my toes so as to minimise the time on the heel edge. I decided to climb back out and ride it again as I was frustrated at myself and my body.

I collected my thoughts the second time around, dropped in and everything just fell into place. Finally after trying so hard to ride well over the past 6 weeks I almost felt like I was back to what I was. I couldn’t help letting out a few whoops when I got to the bottom. I was so stoked to end the season on such a high.

back at the top of Carruthers

Having the stroke really got me down as I had so much planned in the backcountry this year. I’ve tried for 4 years now to ride a certain line at the Crags and each year the weather had other ideas, this year my body had other ideas even though the weather was right. I’m really keen for next year to try and hit that objective, but I’m ok if I don’t, because the mountains will always be there and I’ve realised in the last 6 weeks that just getting out there is enough for me.

All photo credit to my mate Jake Badior