The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Best board for Japan

I’m heading over to Japan (specifically Niseko) over the christmas period and need some recommendations for what board/bindings to buy.

I’m a relatively new rider with about 5 weeks combined boarding experience over the past 4 years, all of it on rental boards, so I’m not looking to break the bank with this purchase but I’d like a board that could get me through the powder of Japan and still perform ok on the slopes in Aus.

I’m 186cm tall, weigh 90kg, and have size 11.5 boots.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, or even just a nudge in the right direction as my own online research has left me with a short-list of about 30 boards.

Cheers

I would look at the YES Pick Your Line 160W or Jones Mind Expander 158 teamed up with a pair of Flux DS Bindings, these setups will give you a good board for Japan and something that will suit Australian conditions. I personally have specific Powder Boards I ride in Japan, however you are after the best of both so for you height, weight and shoe size this will narrow your choice down to two boards both available on this sites store.
Let me know what your favourites are out of your wide choice if you don’t like the above, I am sure I will steer you in the right direction.

This time last year I was deciding between the Yes PYL & the Yes Optimistic.  I’m high 90kgs and 183cm, size 12 boots.  I ended up going for the Optimistic based on personal preference (love the shape) but it was a 50/50 toss-up.  The PYL comes highly recommended and the Mind Expander wasn’t out then.

I’ve since taken the Optimistic to Whistler, Japan, Falls & Perisher over the past 12 mths, it’s been awesome on both wet & dry powder, groomers & ice.  It’s both a powder and carving machine.  My Jones Mtn Twin has pretty much stayed in the bag the whole time.  As a result, I’m taking the Optimistic as my single board this Jan to Canada & Japan, keeping the baggage allowance in control.

Having said that, the Mind Expander certainly looks interesting (similar to the Optimistic) and I would be keen to hear if anyone has snapped one up, what their thoughts are!

I can tell that japan has a good source of board where we can learn more about this kind of things for sure, but learning is the key so start with online through essay writing services uk these professional share the articles and other things which matter alot to you and you wont be able to ignore a thing for a second.