The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Flights:1 way or return? 

Hey guys so it’s happening the wife and I have got our visa approvals over the weekend . So we are looking at flying out mid to late October and not sure if we are doing just the snow season or stay for the summer as well. What is the best option for flights, 1 way or return? Any dramas at the border with a one way ticket?

Hoping to get a lift op job at fernie but going to apply at a few other resorts too and get there for the job fairs

Hey man,

Theres pros and cons for doing both.

It does cost more to book 2 - one way tickets but it gives you the ultimate flexibility, you just book a return ticket when you guys decide what you want to do, you can even return home via Europe if you want.
Booking a return ticket will save you money in the short term but if you do want to extend, you will need to pay a change fee plus the fare and tax difference for the new date. Being a travel agent, I’ve seen some date changes start at $100 and some for $1000+. You just never know what the price will be and you are locked into that airline as well. Even if you were to get a more flexible ticket, you still need to pay a change fee plus fare and tax difference.

Stay for the summer! If you don’t have any plans yet because Canada completely transforms. If you are into hiking, lakes, wildlife and good weather you won’t regret it at all. Even if you aren’t, you still wont regret it.

I’d say get the one ways and be flexible. You can always find cheaper fares as long as you’re not travelling through Christmas.

Keep an eye out for cheap return flights and they can be the same price as a 1 way normally. Then if you change your mind, the date change fee will probably be cheaper than the 1 way flight back…

I booked 1 way here as I didn’t know when I’d be wanting to leave, and I left it kinda late as I was waiting to confirm a job before heading over. I think I paid around $1100 with 2 checked bags direct from Auckland - Vancouver, then bussed to Banff.

I’ve booked return tickets to go back to NZ for winter, waiting for sales and knowing my dates I got Vancouver - Auckland return for $1500 with 2 checked bags, pretty stoked about that.

If you’re unsure how long you’ll stay, I’d go with a one-way flight.