The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler/Blackcomb 2017/2018 using the working holiday club?

Hello all,

I know this is super early but i’ve been looking into how best to get a job/place to stay and it’s stressing me out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am unable to go over for the October job fairs as I will still be at uni until late November. Is there any other way that I can get a job before I go over that isn’t with the working holiday club or is that my only option? does anyone have any experience with the working holiday club that they could share, like how it was getting everything sorted through them and were they very helpful?

Also, i’d love to hear about your experiences with your working holiday in whistler - accommodation (staff or other), nightlife, different jobs, expenses etc.

Thanks!

Hey @indi19,

Welcome to Boardworld!

Hope this helps:

If you can’t make the job fair, Whistler lift company jobs are almost impossible to get. If you’re set on being a lifty or instructor or rentals etc, then suck it up and pay for the working holiday club to get you a job and the security you’re after.

If you don’t mind working for a 3rd party company, you can definitely get jobs and housing without being in Whistler early. Four Seasons do Skype interviews, Starbucks do some jobs remotely and then there is always jobs that show up when the season starts (people get temp jobs and promise to stay then get a corp job and leave anyway) and you can find places but they are often over-priced or tiny.

If you’re not well off (like a ton of money in the bank which you are ok spending), maybe look at one of the other resorts which will be easier to get a job at (Skype interview / video application) which will come with staff housing and then you can always move to Whistler in the summer and look for jobs then?

Resorts which you can likely secure a job with from overseas:
Sun Peaks (I had a skype interview there)
Kicking Horse (Video / Phone Call)
Fernie (Video / Phone Call)
Kimberly
Nakiska
Apex
Manning Park
Castle Mountain
Whitewater (Less likely)
Red (Less likely)

Welcome to Boardworld, @indi19!

It’s great you’re looking ahead to the 2017/18 season and trying to plan accordingly. TWHC fills up quickly so getting in early is important if you decide to go with them.

I had a meeting last year with the TWHC Whistler coordinator (for the purpose of getting helpful information for our members), and I can tell you they run a tight ship, in that if you decide to go through them, you don’t have much to worry about (other than cost). This cost can be very worthwhile in the situation you are in. The biggest advantage I see is the guaranteed accommodation.

Which brings me to my next point. In Whistler, accommodation is much more of a struggle than finding a job. In the current market, a lot of businesses need workers but can’t fill jobs because of the housing shortage. So my advice is, make accommodation your number one priority. Again, this is really where TWHC can help someone in your situation. If you’re not there for the job fairs, you’re already at a disadvantage for staff housing. Even if you get a job with WB at a later date, you will likely be right down the waiting list for staff housing.

I hope that helps.

Thankyou for your replies! I am possibly going with a couple of people and we are all in the same situation in that we can’t get over there in time for the job fairs which really sucks, but this is the only way I can work it so i’m not missing out on uni for the entire year! We were pretty set on whistler/blackcomb so we haven’t really considered any other resorts.

I think just because of the cheaper staff accommodation among other benefits like the mountain lift pass that WB offers, we thought that would be best, but it might be worthwhile to consider working for a 3rd party company.

rider26: if we were to go with TWHC, how early would you suggest we book in with them? and also, do you know anything about the accommodation situation - like is it just a random placement or is it possible to request a certain room or person?

One last thing, i hear that you also put in a second preference resort with TWHC, so how common would it be that people don’t end up at their first preference?

Thanks heaps for all your info! smile

One last thing, i hear that you also put in a second preference resort with TWHC, so how common would it be that people don’t end up at their first preference?

Hi,

My partner and I are currently using TWHC for Whistler 17/18. So far they have been really helpful, they have given us good advice with getting our visa’s and been really helpful with helping us chose a job. As we are really early (first people to apply yay) we have a good choice of jobs and have pretty much secured a place with Whistler, and the job of our choice (as long as we get it from the interview!!). I think unless you apply really late, or don’t get the job the Whistler after your interview then you’re pretty much set for your first choice. Obviously we haven’t got to whistler with them yet, but so far I would recommend them.

Good luck! And hopefully see you in Whistler!

Elisa

Hi,

My partner and I are currently using TWHC for Whistler 17/18. So far they have been really helpful, they have given us good advice with getting our visa’s and been really helpful with helping us chose a job. As we are really early (first people to apply yay) we have a good choice of jobs and have pretty much secured a place with Whistler, and the job of our choice (as long as we get it from the interview!!). I think unless you apply really late, or don’t get the job the Whistler after your interview then you’re pretty much set for your first choice. Obviously we haven’t got to whistler with them yet, but so far I would recommend them.

Good luck! And hopefully see you in Whistler!

Elisa

Hi ! Been reading up on loads of stuff in the forums as I’m basically looking to go out to whistler for the 17/18 season too.. and thought this would be the perfect threat to make my debut !!

Basically just waiting for my POE letter to come right now so my next concern is finding and securing a job. Originally, I had put the idea of using a third party such as TWHC on the back burner as it seems rather costly.. HOWEVER after reading a few horror stories about people having to sleep in their cars due to a housing shortage at whistler, and subsequently not being able to apply for jobs as they have no permanent address, it has made me consider it.

But on the basis that I have family in Calgary, and therefore a Calgary permanent address, would I still be able to apply for jobs with the mountain even though it is not in the same province ? Or do the require a whistler permanent address ?

Also was thinking of going out in September time to make the late September job fair, and/or the Calgary and Vancouver job fairs, would it be just as easy to go it alone and save myself all that money ? What are the chances of securing a job ? As I am hearing that lots of them are allocated to organisations such as the working holiday club.

Sorry for such a lengthily post.. been searching the internet trying to find what I’m looking for but no luck. I appreciate any help people ?

Hi everybody!!

I’m new to this board but I have become obsessed with reading all the posts, I’ve learnt so much thanks!!

So, like the poster I was also thinking about going over to Whistler this season with WHC purely for the fact it meant I could work in the UK right up until I need to get over to Canada. I’m just back from Japan and to say I have no money is an understatement so trying to save all the pennies!!

I was wondering, if I did go over last minute for the job fair in October and got a job, when is the soonest I’m likely to start a job and starting earning.

Thanks grin

Season doesn’t start till December. If you’re lucky you’ll get a few shifts prior (training etc) but don’t expect an income.

The other option which is much more feasible for Whistler is to get a job via the job fair and then just find a job in Vancouver and live there until the season and training starts. Since it’s only a 2h drive, if you have to get up there for a few shifts it’s not super hard.

Tell the job you’re planning on working there for 2 years and then just quit when you start at Whistler. It’s not like you’ll ever go back there to work raspberry