The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Japan Help

Thought I might start my won thread rather than hijack the Niseko one!

Confused about Japan, kinda exploring some potential trips but will be done in the Xmas period as my wife and I have enforced leave at that time of year.  We were thinking 7-10 days from just before or just after Xmas.

We wouldn’t mind checking out some cultural stuff as well as the snow and the onsens and snow monkeys are pretty high on the wifes list.  We’d probably prefer self contained style accom or a hotel with own bathroom facilities at the least.

A bit stuck on whether to go Honshu or Hokkaido, which is easier in terms of transfers, travel time from airport to resort etc?  is it a good idea to get a hire car there or can you get around easily enough without?  Honshu sounds like it might be a little better in terms of terrain.  The sheer amount of options has us a a little flummoxed as to what will work better for us.

Neither of us are keen on Niseko as we’d like to experience some of the culture without being hideously embarassed by bogan aussies at every turn.  Things we’d like out japan,

Powder
self contained accom
POWDER
quick and painless transfer to resort
POWDER
a degree of english speaking staff/facilities, we’re both garbage at the language
POWDER
off piste tree riding allowed in the POWDER
minimal requirements to grab inter resort shuttles
POWDER
Ride in ride out would be nice or walking distance
POWDER
a terrain park if it isn’t dumping it’s face off every day
POWDER
reasonably priced lift tickets
POWDER
Onsens
POWDER
Snow Monkeys
POWDER
Temples/Cultural stuff
POWDER

I guess a hire car would really depend upon where we end up right and how many different resorts we want to ride?
ideally we’d just base ourselves in one spot.

Initially I was keen on Myoko but read it’s not super steep or huge vert and almost no self contained accom
Shiga Kogen sounded good with lots of vert, but then tree riding seems to be off limits at most resorts but close to nagano for a day trip and the snow monkeys.
I then shifted to Furano and that seemed likea pretty good mix but not sure
Rusutsu also sounded pretty nice as well.

When tey talk about groomers in japan is it just tat or do the groomers tend to turn into pow runs overnight?  Sorry for all the questions but help would be appreciated.

While I haven’t been to Niseko, I have spent some time in Hakuba, and I will explain why I made this decision, which might help you a bit. But keep in mind that I haven’t actually been to Niseko. I will try to address each of your points.

Your time in Japan is fairly short, so travel time should be considered. It is super easy and quick to get to Hakuba. Two-hour bullet train (which is an experience in itself) to Nagano, and a short bus ride into Hakuba, and you’re there. You can literally spend half a day exploring Tokyo, and be at your destination in Hakuba by the evening = day saved. You don’t need a car.

There are onsens actually in Hakuba. Snow monkey tours leave direct from Hakuba and you’re back by 5:30pm. The town of Hakuba itself is awesome. It’s a lot less touristy than Niseko, so I’ve heard.

OK, so the reasons I personally chose Hakuba:

1. The terrain. Nagano is home to the real Japanese Alps. The Olympic downhill was held on Happo-one, and for good reason. The mountains here are steeper with more variety and vertical. The mountains are quieter and less touristy. If terrain is important to you, I think this is as good a reason as any to consider Hakuba as an option. While you don’t typically receive the same copious amounts of light, dry prowder as Niseko, it will still be some of the lightest and deepest snow you’ve ever ridden. We were waist deep in the best powder I’ve ever experienced probably on 80% of days (and I was there for 3 weeks). That said, Mother Nature is always in control of this.

2. Options. You’re surrounded by several mountains to choose from (all on the same pass) and there is a free shuttle that takes you to any of them from the town of Hakuba. So you get the luxury of basing yourself in one spot, with the options to visit other mountains for free and quickly.

3. Less touristy. Hakuba is quieter with less people. Less Aussies for sure.

4. From everything I understand about Japan, you get a bit more of an authentic Japanese experience in Hakuba. Disclaimer: this is just based on my own research and my experience in Hakuba.

We stayed in an awesome family-run hotel at the base of Happo-one called High Mount Hotel. These guys were awesome and the location is perfect (ride to the hotel haha). I still keep in touch with them to this day. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch. Everything you need and nothing you don’t. Really good value when I stayed there. http://www.highmount.com/english/index.html

I think that covers some of the main questions. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to give you more info.

rider26 - 27 August 2016 06:06 AM

While I haven’t been to Niseko, I have spent some time in Hakuba, and I will explain why I made this decision, which might help you a bit. But keep in mind that I haven’t actually been to Niseko. I will try to address each of your points.

Your time in Japan in fairly short, so travel time should be considered. It is super easy and quick to get to Hakuba. Two-hour bullet train (which is an experience in itself) to Nagano, and a short bus ride into Hakuba, and you’re there. You can literally spend half a day exploring Tokyo, and be at your destination in Hakuba by the evening = day saved. You don’t need a car.

There are onsens actually in Hakuba. Snow monkey tours leave direct from Hakuba and you’re back by 5:30pm. The town of Hakuba itself is awesome. It’s a lot less touristy than Niseko, so I’ve heard.

OK, so the reasons I personally chose Hakuba:

1. The terrain. Nagano is home to the real Japanese Alps. The Olympic downhill was held on Happo-one, and for good reason. The mountains here are steeper with more variety and vertical. The mountains are quieter and less touristy. If terrain is important to you, I think this is as good a reason as any to consider Hakuba as an option. While you don’t typically receive the same copious amounts of light, dry prowder as Niseko, it will still be some of the lightest and deepest snow you’ve ever ridden. We were waist deep in the best powder I’ve ever experienced probably on 80% of days (and I was there for 3 weeks). That said, Mother Nature is always in control of this.

2. Options. You’re surrounded by several mountains to choose from (all on the same pass) and there is a free shuttle that takes you to any of them from the town of Hakuba. So you get the luxury of basing yourself in one spot, with the options to visit other mountains for free and quickly.

3. Less touristy. Hakuba is quieter with less people. Less Aussies for sure.

4. From everything I understand about Japan, you get a bit more of an authentic Japanese experience in Hakuba. Disclaimer: this is just based on my own research and my experience in Hakuba.

We stayed in an awesome family-run hotel at the base of Happo-one called High Mount Hotel. These guys were awesome and the location is perfect (ride to the hotel haha). I still keep in touch with them to this day. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch. Everything you need and nothing you don’t. Really good value when I stayed there. http://www.highmount.com/english/index.html

I think that covers some of the main questions. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to give you more info.

^^ This. Hakuba rocks, and for culture there are some good sites not far away either. Cracking place, can’t wait to go back. I stayed in a Japanese Hotel where we were the only foreign guests, great experience staying there, the owner and his family couldn’t speak a word of English so google translate made for fun trying to communicate.

Hey NBG,

My mates actually just bought a place in Myoko. (you have met them…)

We enjoyed our time in Myoko.

I think Hukuba is a mini Niseko nowadays so think you will enjoy somewhere like Myoko. and to be honest felt the shuttle was a PITA. However agree with Rider on the High Mount as we also stayed there.

It is super easy to get there and you can rent a car (highly recommend, would never actually go without it now!) which gets you around to all the resorts.

We also met another couple there who could help you out with more questions and currently live in Jindy too (as well as said owner of Myoko lodge - should organise a drink!

Hey guys thanks for the responses.  I think we’re going to shift our trip out to February, the value for money thing really takes a belting at Xmas time and we’ve decided we’ll spend some time down Jindy over Xmas with the boat and SUP’s and do a couple of day trips out to Merimbula to surf.

Our next door neighbour in Jindy lent me a snow travel guide to Japan and his personal recommendation from a few seasons in Japan was Hakuba.  I’ve read the book through and am still probably just as confused as I was before.  Everyone you talk to has a different opinion from Happo to Rusutsu and it’s a bit of info overload.

Hey Kim, would probably be good to have a chat to them, we’re down there every weekend till the end of the season still, actually just had a week off and rode 10 days straight which was nice.  Myoko or Shiga seem to be the ones I keep coming back to although I have flirted with the idea of Rusutsu as well.  If we were to head to Myoko would it still be worth hiring a car?  Do the road conditions and signage/navigation make it more hassle than it’s worth? 

nbg, we went to both huk and myoko. got a transfer in van which left huk at 630am
we were at myoko by 830 and they had 80cm the day before and we turned up to no wind bluebird!
we could walk to the 2 main resorts in myoko and got a 20 min transfer around to sugi one day after another 80cm day. longest run there is 8km. the terrain park I swear is about 1km long alone!
not many aussies, lots of culture and onsens. can see the ocean on clear day as well.
in hukuba happo one is massive. get a gondola up get off and theres another summit like mt p has been dropped on top lol also happo banks. now that was fun. perisher should do that style park through centre valley. youtube it….

I’m looking at Japan trip next year as well.  I need to work around an overseas wedding so i’m limited ~1 week mid-March.  At that time of year i’m guessing Hokkaido is a better bet for fresh snow?  I’m sure conditions anywhere in Japan mid-March will be fantastic by Australian standards, but spring is spring and if I only have week I might as well go somewhere colder!

Accommodation prices in Niseko are pretty exorbitant by Japanese standards so i’m eyeing Furano.  Do any you wise old Japanese hands have other suggestions?

(Sorry to hijack your thread NBG)

NBG - 05 September 2016 02:52 PM

I’ve read the book through and am still probably just as confused as I was before.  Everyone you talk to has a different opinion from Happo to Rusutsu and it’s a bit of info overload.

Totally get you on this. You can trawl through so much info but it is so hard to know what is best until you actually go there!...That is why for our first trip there in Feb this year we stayed for a month, rode Hakuba and Myoko on Honshu and Niseko, Furano and Asahidake on Hokkaido…rode ten resorts all up. Now we’ve got a bit of a feel for all of those, we’re going to hone in on what we really liked for a shorter trip next feb and do some more exploring of surrounding resorts.

@NBG g been visiting myoko, nozawa, hakuba for last 4 to 5 years, if you need more info give me a buzz and can tell you my 5c worth, also can show you some photos/vid if you are interested.

My preference would be hakuba and if you really are keen go to myoko, I was not a big fan of Nozawa.

wow I haven’t posted on here in ages.

Lano cheers mate, haven’t poken to you for ages other than insta!  I’m kinda leaning towards Shiga Kogen at the moment due to a few more accom options that seem to suit our needs as well as being pretty much fully interconnected via lifts rather than needing to jump on shuttle buses.

Will give you a buzz anyway mate would be good to chat!

I would not do snow monkeys personally and Feb is the best time but all know this. So to miss the annual bogen element here are some tips 1: don,t fly Aussie.2: Don,t decide where to base until 2 week out and knowing the snow depths. Knowing Japanese can save you haft the cost of your trip. So consider learning because you will go back. Knowing Japanese allow you to access Japan sites where bargin can be pick up on acccom and car rentals. Don,t use Telstra. You can pick up a pocket wifi for $50 with muti device hook up and unlimited Data for a month in Japan . Just do some research on the net. Buy your wine from Aon or a Supa. You can get a bottle of yellow glen for $8 .Where your hotel bar would be 5 fold. The super markets are user friendly. Places not to go, Hakuba, Myojo, Shiga, Furano and Niseko. Places worth checking if hiring a car Takayama (Gifu) Niigate , and Akita. late April have been visiting Iwatesan where easy access to easy backcountry is in abundance. But from Late Feb, bears can be a problem in Akita and Iwate if spring come early. A JR East rail pass and car hire at major cities is a great way of getting about. The tollways can really eat into fund if you don,t know when and where to use them. Accom can range from futon which means hard floors or a hard western bed and both are price the same. most have ensuite. I sort a hotel with a good onsen and hardy use the bathroom. like I said knowing Japanese can save you heaps. I stay a March in Sapporo and my self contain apartment with parking, internet, elect cost $429 AUD per week (5 min walk to Sapporo Station, 1 min to subway) only because I could read basic Japanese. So check the snow depths 2 weeks before booking flights etc and stay away from the above places. Parking can get costly also so keep that in mine when booking a hotel or going else where.usaully super markets parking for the first hour is free.

@NBG I’m glad you moved your dates out to Feb or I’d be recommending Hokkaido.  But in Feb giving Honshu a run is perfect.

Everyone is different, and one negative interaction can colour someone’s perception but I saw little appreciable difference between the Hakuba valley experience and Niseko in terms of crowds, gaijin, silly behaviour.  The back country terrain in Hakuba was much bigger (and risks much higher), but I wasn’t heading out of the resort when I was there.  In Niseko backcountry access is simpler and generally safer, although you do get cowboys heading out with NFI and no gear.

The buying a day pass at each resort each day - lack of interconnectedness or relationship did my head in in Hakuba - but that is apparently a thing of the past with a new Hakuba Vslley pass launching this coming season.

My favourite of all the Hakuba resorts - Goryu and Cortina.  Loved them!

The Myoko region (which I enjoyed with @ozgirl this year was great - but you need a car.  Being able to go to Suginohara, Madarao or Shiga Kogen on a whim rather than just being stuck with Akakan or Ikenotaira with no options, made the trip for us. 

As for Hokkaido - yes Niseko is busy, there are a lot of gaijin (not necessarily Aussies!) and it offers an international resort experience in Japan (so yeah, you can buy pizza and burgers and fondue) but it’s popular for good reason.  The powder and the Niseko Rules off piste policy are the drawcards.

Rusutsu is great - but it’s no longer the quiet resort getaway from Niseko.  Kiroro is magic - but no village just hotel accomodation.  There’s no Apres.

Basically it’s Feb.  it’s your first trip.  You’re going to pick a winner no matter where you choose to go.  thumbsup

+1 on Myoko - 5 resorts within 10 minutes, then you have Nozawa, Madarao & Tangram for day trips. A car is a good option, as said above, although even this year compared to last it seems that the accommodation has booked out already - getting a lot more popular…

Bloody hell, still yet more opinions on where to go, stay and what to do ha ha ha.  We have made a tentative booking at this stage at the Shiga Kogen Prince Hotel south wing, for 11 nights for about $145 a night which seems reasonable.  Seems to have a pretty good spread of dining options across the three wings of the hotel and the south wing is apparently very close to the cable car.  The lift tickets seem like decent value as well at around $390 for 7 days or $540 for 10. 

We’ve asked for a few different options from some tour operators just to get an idea of what an all inclusive deal might look like in Hakuba, Myoko or Shiga and will see what comes back.  I’m getting to the point now where it’s kinda let’s just go with our gut and see what happens, whatever does occur will be fun and an experience as long as we go into it all with the right mindset! 

We were at risk of putting japan in the THB and just heading to the US but that would have been a mistake I think.  We’ve just decided to go on an adventure and enjoy ourselves in a new country neither of us have been to.

NBG - 26 September 2016 09:10 AM

Bloody hell, still yet more opinions on where to go, stay and what to do ha ha ha.  We have made a tentative booking at this stage at the Shiga Kogen Prince Hotel south wing, for 11 nights for about $145 a night which seems reasonable.  Seems to have a pretty good spread of dining options across the three wings of the hotel and the south wing is apparently very close to the cable car.  The lift tickets seem like decent value as well at around $390 for 7 days or $540 for 10. 

We’ve asked for a few different options from some tour operators just to get an idea of what an all inclusive deal might look like in Hakuba, Myoko or Shiga and will see what comes back.  I’m getting to the point now where it’s kinda let’s just go with our gut and see what happens, whatever does occur will be fun and an experience as long as we go into it all with the right mindset! 

We were at risk of putting japan in the THB and just heading to the US but that would have been a mistake I think.  We’ve just decided to go on an adventure and enjoy ourselves in a new country neither of us have been to.

IMHO you’ll love Shiga Kogen.
It covers a HUGE area, I’ve not seen the half of it in the one day we did there.

@ozgirl help me out…
I’m pretty sure it was Okushiga Kogen area that recently overturned a snowboarder ban and had those ‘be nice to snowboarders’ posters on the wall.  Right?
If so, I had the best meal at that restaurant at lunch.  It was a rice and cheese dish - oh my God to DIE for!!

By all accounts, not a lot of Apres options - but if you’re boarding hard enough a couple of drinks with dinner will finish you off anyway!  beers

You’ll love it.
And you can try somewhere else next time.  Coz there WILL be a next time.  Trust me.  You’ll never regret deciding to go shaka

LMB - 26 September 2016 10:13 AM
NBG - 26 September 2016 09:10 AM

IMHO you’ll love Shiga Kogen.
It covers a HUGE area, I’ve not seen the half of it in the one day we did there.

@ozgirl help me out…
I’m pretty sure it was Okushiga Kogen area that recently overturned a snowboarder ban and had those ‘be nice to snowboarders’ posters on the wall.  Right?
If so, I had the best meal at that restaurant at lunch.  It was a rice and cheese dish - oh my God to DIE for!!

By all accounts, not a lot of Apres options - but if you’re boarding hard enough a couple of drinks with dinner will finish you off anyway!  beers

You’ll love it.
And you can try somewhere else next time.  Coz there WILL be a next time.  Trust me.  You’ll never regret deciding to go shaka

I don’t think you can go wrong with Shiga Kogen.

@drc13 went there i think?

I think we should have a meet up in the city - ha! I am not being lazy. but either north or south and one of you two has to travel a long way!

And yes I think you are right on all fronts LMB.

@NBG - did you follow our TR on the dark side? Its long but i think you will get a LOT out of it.