The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Burton Non Goretex Gloves

Had a bit of misfortune or stupidity the other week and left my Quik gloves on the rear bar of my ute for the drive from Peri to Jindy.  Somehow one of them made it all the way, the other not so much.  These were probably the best gloves I’ve ever owned and I was annoyed but thought I would just buy another pair.  Low and behold I couldn’t find them anywhere in my size and so thought I would grab myself a pair of Burtons.  I’ve had a few pairs of Burtons Goretex and they’ve always been decent so thought it was the best option.

Bought a pair of Burton Approach gloves, the 2L Dryride fabric figuring they would be ok and being $30 under the Goretex represented better value for money.  Got up the hill the next day and discovered the shop assistant hadn’t removed the security tag and it was securing both gloves together.  I made my way down to the Smigs store and bought a pair of $20 inferno gloves that were surpisingly good.

The next day (yesterday) after having the tag removed I wore the Burtons.  Within an hour or so I could feel moisture seeping into the fingertips.  The gloves looked wet on the palms and anywhere pressure was applied as in doing up your bindings moisture was coming through.  I had to put on the inners just to keep some semblance of warmth and seriously considered going back to the car to swap out for the $20 gloves.

Long story short, spend the extra and get goretex, I’m spewing I didn’t!

If anyone knows where they have the Quik Over Hill Goretex glove in Large or even XL please let me know.  I’ll have blown over $200 on gloves by the time this is sorted and I’m not super happy.

I absolutely agree with you. Unless we’re talking about spring/pipe gloves, I’ll only buy Gore-Tex or leather (preferably with a Gore-Tex insert). You get what you pay for.