The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Fernie - 2016/17

FERNIE 2016/17
So I know it’s not Whistler and most of you guys will probably never see the wonderful paradise that I will be returning to this winter but I figured I’d make an early post and throw up some pictures. If anyone has any questions about Fernie, the town, the mountain or the lift company, feel free to hit me up and hopefully I can be helpful grin.

Who am I and what do I do?
My name is TJ, I have been a member on this forum for way too long and will be working as a Lifty at Fernie in BC, Canada. Here is me on a motorbike:

Where is Fernie?
Fernie is in the bottom right corner of British Columbia (the western most province in Canada). The resort is approximately 6km from the town and is accessible by driving, shuttle bus or hitch-hiking.

Why should I visit or work at Fernie?
Fernie has many great features.

The town is small but has a lot of creature comforts that most ski in/ski out resorts don’t have. E.G. 2x shopping centres, BC liquor store (including bottle deposits), a cinema, a hockey rink, service stations (gas stations) and many food and bev options. Also, it has this view:

I lived in this place for about $500 a month (+utils) with 3 housemates of my choosing: (Summer pic from google maps)

And had this view from my balcony: (Summer pic from google maps)

The resort is one of the steepest in Canada and while it doesn’t have the length of runs that Whistler or Revelstoke have, it makes up for it in variety. You can go up the old side (bear / boom / haulback) or new side (timber / whitepass / polar peak) and wherever you head there will be something cool to explore. I like to work as a lifty because you get perks like ride breaks, being outside, bumping chairs (day goes quicker / don’t get bored like detached chairs.) and working 4x10 hour days (3 days off for road trips / more chance of pow days!)

The company is also decent. As someone who has worked 5 ski seasons (3 australia and 2 canada), most ski companies will treat you like expendable labour. This is just the industry so get used to it. Honestly with staff parties and reciprocal passes, RCR is definitely not the worst company of the bunch. Just don’t expect more than $10.70 an hour to do something that is quite physically exhausting! Overall we had an awesome team and I made a great group of friends by working as a lifty.

And then there is always the other events which aren’t always sanctioned… *Cough* Australia Day and St Pattys *Cough*

So to conclude, Fernie is amazing and I will hope to be posting updates like I did last year again smile. If anyone is going to come visit or work here, hit me up. Or if you just have questions you want answered, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Looks epic, @TJswish. I have always wanted to visit Fernie and this might be the season I make it happen. Can I crash at your place? Haha wink

Not many people know this, but Fernie was actually my first choice mountain before I was employed by Whistler Blackcomb as a snowboard instructor in 2005. A few things about Fernie really appealed to me… the town, the terrain, the powder, and the quieter/less touristy vibe. That said, Whistler Blackcomb offered me the job before anyone else, I accepted, and the rest is history. Only weeks later did I start getting offers from other mountains. Anyway, no regrets, things turned out pretty well… but I would really love to come and visit.

Do you get discounted passes etc. for family/friends?

Yep, totally come crash! I know I’ve crashed at yours before.

Every staff member gets 10x discounted passes for family and friends ($30 a day). So even if I run out I can probably find some people to give me more for a 6 pack or something smile

It’s definitely on the watch list….!

First post on boardworld!

First off, TJ you are a legend for all the info you post on here. I’ve read it all!

Heading to Canada for the season and hoping to get hired in Fernie. The resort and town looks incredible shaka

Can’t wait to read more Fernie hype on here metal

Awesome @mjw50! Hope to see you there.

What are you thinking of doing at Fernie? Are you going to make a video or go to the hiring fair / job fair? Is there any questions about Fernie that I can answer for you? Maybe there is something I wouldn’t have thought of putting on here smile

While I’m loving it here at Falls Creek in Australia, it’s almost time to start thinking about flights / travel insurance / dates / emailing my old boss and confirming a job for the season etc.

Hype train is real!!!!!

Hi TJswish, loved your thread about Fernie 2015/2016. Would not have known about Fernie otherwise!

From NZ and looking to get a job on a ski field for this season. When do you reckon I would I have to arrive in Fernie to secure a job and accommodation?

Hey @HHHsnow,

Fernie is a magical place! Honestly I’d get onto the Video application here: http://skifernie.com/the-mountain/employment/ or the actual PDF info: http://3atdoe9h52s12e9hqcxdp3ah.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/img/2015-Video-application-letter.pdf

That way you can apply for a job without actually going over to Canada and then just arrive in Fernie in mid November and decide where you want to live. There is a hostel which you can get a few nights at while looking and then choose if you want to get a place with other people, join an already existing house or get a room in one of the 3 “staff accom” like places. These are all shared facilities and you can either share a room for about $330ish each or get a room to yourself for about $450ish. These places are: 1. The Fernie, 2. The Central or 3. The Royal.

Pros and cons for each place: The Fernie is nicer but the beds aren’t fantastic, the Central has the most staff / best social aspect but is quite basic and very grey and the Royal is above the club.

———————————-

Other Points:

- If you are male, don’t expect to get any serving jobs. Tips are too good and chicks get the positions, especially with experience.
- Rentals / Retail is a small team and they work 5 days on (rather than 4 like lifties / ticketers / janitors). Harder to make friends etc.
- Work as a lifty starts at 6:30 / 7:00 / 7:30 but you finish at 4:00 (Plus shutdown / ride home) so it’s more like 4:30.
- Do some road trips. We get lots of free passes so there is plenty of opportunities to travel!

————————————

Other options:

- I’d apply for as many resorts as you can remotely. Then if you get multiple offers, choose your favourite and just let the other resorts know. They can fill that spot easily so don’t stress.
- Kicking Horse is also RCR and offer video applications. It’s an amazing resort and the town is similar to Fernie. Definitely throw an application if you’re keen on the rockies!
- Panorama is another cool rockies resort. I know it has one of the better staff accoms and is on mountain. Everything I’ve heard of Panorama has been positive so if you can apply there it probably wouldn’t hurt (Only downside of on mountain staff accom is getting down to town to buy food.)
- Sun Peaks do skype interviews. Alyshia on here just did a season there and I was there 3 years ago. 5 days working and 2 days off which is kind of sucky but the staff accom in LSL was decent and lots of people working there to be friends with. I was rarely in my room (unless everyone had come over!)
- The small resorts are worth a look too. Apex, Manning Park, Red and Castle mountain in Alberta all have decent terrain and you can generally pick up a job pretty easily. Down side is they aren’t always open every day (Manning park is closed Tuesday / Wednesday and only Orange Chair is open Thursdays.) So there isn’t much time to ride on your days off since they are closed :(.
- If you’re only 18, go to Alberta so you can legally drink and party.
- If you have a car, it makes road trips much easier and getting to and from shops if you’re on a mountain. Registration and insurance is about $1300 for 6 months all up so factor that in if a car is on the plan.

I’m sure there is more but hope this helps you bud smile

And if you want to add me on facebook and have a chat, feel free to PM me and I’ll send you my facebook address.

Hey TJ and all.

I’ll be in Fernie this season too.
Found Boardworld in 2013 before heading to Whis for 13/14 and 14/15 now heading to back for visa #2 so figured have a look again in the lead up.

Ill be in rentals at the base of the hill, interviewed thursday and offered the gig, waiting for the official offer to be emailed through…

Getting to Van on Oct 5th and making my out a week or two after but haven’t sorted how or when yet exactly.

Spotted Goff and Chong (Ben) in one photo, I went to uni with those guys.

Here is me with my motorbike

Hey @900steve,

@mjw50 and I went to school together, different grades and he was looking into Rentals too. Do you know if they have many spots left? It’s generally a small team.

Yeah Goff and Ben are characters. They were running Trivia, D.J-ing and doing a bunch of things around town. Goff has a batmobile (van with bat symbols painted on it lol)

Good to see more people coming to Fernie. We’ll have to catch up and get a beer when everyone arrives. You staying there till the season now or coming back in November? Where are you living?

I’m not really sure what is left in rentals, I was told the team is about 16 or so.
I think they (Fernie) seem to like video applications best of all for early applications, see below from a email i received.

We recommend you submit a 2-3 minute video, uploaded onto YouTube (or Vimeo etc), with a link sent to us via email (along with your resume and covering letter).  This is a great way for you to show us that you:
-        possess an energetic and positive personality;
-        are passionate about snow and the winter;
-        enjoy working in a team-oriented environment and;
-        are keen to work with us and do what it takes to be part of a legendary winter at Fernie!

I kind of went through back channels - I have another mate (Charlie Shute) who worked for them last year and is returning, he told them i was heading out and I emailed the shop manager direct. I worked one season in rentals at WB so had experience which helped.

Haven’t sorted accommodation yet, figured I could wing that bit when I arrive as there would be plenty of people with rooms or grouping together for houses for winter around mid October with the job fair… sound reasonable?
Probably will be in town during dead season unless i get a better offer, hanging out and exploring hopefully.

Yeah tons of people arriving in November and lots of people teaming up to get rent at places and make it affordable. We had a 4 person house which we signed up for Mid November which worked fine.

Worst that happens, you just get a room at the Fernie / Central / Royal.

Heads up, Fernie has officially updated their Employment page to say 2016! The Job Fair dates are October 21 and 22 if anyone is interested.

Though all the docs and site are still the exact same.

http://skifernie.com/the-mountain/employment/

TJ whats your opinion on the following for Fernie:

Banks
Thinking TD or CIBC, do have have reasons for or against either?
Do either have a coin counting machine, good for the end of season shrapnel…

Phones
I used Koodo in Whis previously as they had good deals for calling Aus and they piggybacked off one of the majors so never had reception problems.
Do you have any Fernie specific feedback?

I was with Scotia. All the other banks get paid before Scotia if that helps…

Pretty sure they all will count coins for you but can’t confirm. I didn’t go in the other banks. From friends, CIBC has had the best reviews and TD’s website / app was hard to use and setup etc.

——————————

Phones,

Bell and Telus towers so whatever they use should be fine. Telus was great but they are a bit overpriced.

Arrived in Vancouver this morning.
Knocked out the SIN, bank and phone.
Couple days to catch up with mates including a Canucks game tomorrow night.
Flying to Cranbrook and on to Fernie on Sunday