The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Yet Another Beginner Board Question…

Hi Boardworld People,

First, let me apologise as I figure this topic has probably been done to death, nevertheless I’m at a crossroads…

Bit of background: Long-time intermediate skier, about to cave in & switch to trays for the first time.  So…  Originally I was considering a GNU Carbon Credit, (a) because my son rides one & is really happy with it, & (b) I’d read a lot of good reviews talking it up as a beginner board with room to grow.  However, I’m now leaning towards the Yes ‘Basic,’ mainly because I’m never going to be doing park or pipe - & where I’m led to understand the Carbon Credit is more of a freestyle board that can do a bit of ‘all mountain,’ conversely the ‘Basic’ seems to be more of an ‘all mountain’ board that can do a bit of freestyle.  And I’m more interested in riding the mountain than doing tricks.

My dilemma (here we go) is when it comes to size.  I’m 179cm & 91kg.  When I went into my local shop, the guy grabbed a board off the shelf, held it next to me & said, “that’s just the right size for you.”  It was a Yes ‘Basic’ 155cm, regular width.  To me it looked fine, except every damned sizing calculator I’ve looked at online, says 155cm is a bit on the short side for me.  They all say I should be looking at something in the 158-162cm range, particularly for freeride.  My local guy says weight doesn’t matter & it’s all about height, whilst every sizing calculator says weight is a big deal.

Bottom line: I don’t want to buy more board than I can handle.  Given that the ‘Basic’ comes in 155cm & 158cm, is 3cm really that big a deal…?  My last two pairs of skis were 180cm & 172cm - & I never had an issue with an 8cm size difference - but then I’ve been skiing for years whereas I know sod-all about boards.  I also expect to be using it just as much overseas as I will at Australian resorts (we go to Utah every second year & do Park City), so whilst I understand shorter may be better suited to Oz conditions, would I end up short-changed with a 155cm board in Utah powder, as opposed to the 158cm?  On the other hand, would 158cm be too much board for me in Oz…?  So once more, when it comes to boards, is 3cm really that big a deal…?

Thoughts & advice will be much appreciated…

Welcome to Boardworld, @Bunglerat! shaka

No need to apologise for asking questions; that’s what the forums are here for! Every situation is different and we are more than happy to help each member individually!

Let me be the first to say, welcome to the dark side! I bet you haven’t heard that before… haha! wink

You’re right, the GNU Carbon Credit is a good beginner’s board worth considering. It offers good value and a fun, easy ride. The BTX profile is essentially a rockered board (or close to it), and it’s going to behave like one. With rocker between the feet, it’s going to be loose and easy to turn. The drawback of this profile is the board is considerably less stable than other profiles on the market. While it’s easy to turn and has a playful feel, you lose stability at speed, you lose carving performance, and you lose energy or “pop”. Nevertheless, I can understand why your son is enjoying this board.

You’re absolutely correct in your assumptions; the Basic is going to be much more geared towards all-mountain versatility, while still being a freestyle board. The major difference is in the camber profile. While the GNU Carbon Credit has rocker between the feet, the YES. Basic has camber between the feet (and rocker in the nose and tail). The camber between your feet gives you stability at speeds, carving performance (edge hold and energy), and more energy and “pop” for ollies. The rocker in the nose and tail still makes this board forgiving and easy to turn/ride, it’s great for learning flatground tricks, and it also gives you float in powder. Overall, the profile is versatile but performs closer to that of a cambered board—in a nutshell, higher performance.

One thing to also consider is the YES. Basic (and the entire YES. range) has a full lifetime warranty. YES. is the only snowboard brand in the world offering this. Personally, I think this is huge!

OK, let’s discuss sizing. Forget what the guy in the store told you. Some people (including shop staff) just have no idea. It annoys me to no end the advice I’ve heard given to customers over the years. Weight is, by far, the most important determining factor. Think about this: the board has no idea how tall you are; all it knows is how much force you’re putting through it, which is directly determined by mass. Height should always be considered, but it really only comes into play if you’re either very tall or very short for your weight, which you are not. The reason it would be considered in this situation is because if you are very tall or very short, you will have an unusually narrow or wide stance for the board, which affects leverage, and therefore should be considered for this reason.

Straight up, yes, 155cm is definitely on the short side for you. What also needs to be considered is the board itself (the Basic is a soft board and therefore flexes easier), and the intended purpose (which you have already told us is all-mountain). Both these factors suggest a bigger board will be better for you.

If you are specifically looking at the YES. Basic, my suggestion would be the 158 or bigger. With rocker in the nose and tail, it’s going to ride (feel) “shorter” than a full cambered board. Also, consider where you will be riding. If it’s just for Australia, and you want a fun, versatile size, I feel the 158 would be ideal. If you’re going to take this board overseas, which you said you are (and Utah powder is light), the SHORTEST I would suggest is the 158. I would consider getting a larger size. I can say with confidence that the 155 is DEFINITELY too short for you; you will sink in Utah. The 158 won’t be too much board in Australia. I think you’ll really enjoy this size.

The other option is to consider a different board in the line. The Basic is versatile, fun, and great value. But you could consider something like the YES. Typo, which is still versatile, fun, and great value—but it’s a step up from the Basic. While only $30 more, you get a few upgrades which I feel will suit your purpose well. Firstly, the flex is slightly stiffer, giving more stability and performance for riding the mountain, it has the UnderBite outline which increases edge hold, it has a 5mm setback which is going to be very beneficial in Utah and when riding powder (increased float!), and the Typo also has a sintered base—which is not only faster, but it holds momentum for longer—which means you won’t get stuck on flats as easily, nor will you get stuck in powder as easily (it give the board more “flow” when you need it). Just something to think about…

Before I can absolutely suggest any board, I need to know what size boots you wear? Just to make sure the waist width is going to be suitable for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks so much for your advice.  Yeah, gotta say I was pretty disappointed with my ‘local guy.’  Whilst I happily admit that I don’t know what I don’t know about boarding, years of skiing have taught me a thing or two - & when I actually suggested that he might want to know how much I weigh, he brushed it off as being unimportant.  I’m all for supporting local business (I won’t mention names because I’m being polite), but not when the person I’m dealing with is supposed to be the expert & yet I’m the one having to guide the conversation.

Price is not an issue for me & I’ll definitely read up on the Typo, but as of this moment it’s not a board that was on my radar & so I know nothing about it - but happy to consider it & any other suggestions.  As for sizing advice, in a perfect world we’d all have different boards for different conditions, but I admit I’m trying to find something that can be a jack of all trades.  Not an easy task.  If I had a couple of seasons under my belt, I wouldn’t hesitate to upsize, but although you suggested 158cm as good for Oz but the shortest advisable length for overseas, I’m thinking I shouldn’t bite off more than I can chew & just stick with the shorter end of my range for the time being.  As a complete novice, I’m comfortable with 158cm for now.  If this whole thing on trays agrees with me, it won’t be my last board - & if it doesn’t, I haven’t over-extended myself.

Thanks again - & I will be in touch.

P.S.  Re your question on boot size, for normal footwear I can be anything between a US size 9.0 to 9.5 depending on brand.  I live in Melbourne (which of course makes getting to you just a little impractical) - & whilst I’m happy to purchase most things online, it goes without saying that getting the right boot fit is just something that has to be done in the flesh, so I’ll need to address that & get back to you…

No worries at all. We’re here to help!

I feel the Typo would be a really good board for you. They refer to it as the Basic’s big brother, or the Basic on steroids, haha! It’s quite similar to the Basic in regards to ease of use, versatility, and value. But the upgrades are considerable, and I think you will appreciate these upgrades given you want to ride all-mountain dominantly and also take the board overseas to a powder destination. Similar but better is what I’ll say…

In regards to your boot size, you will be fine with any of these boards. The waist widths are absolutely fine. It starts becoming more of a consideration if you were around the 11+ mark. Nothing you need to worry about with size 9 or 9.5 feet.

My recommendation: YES. Typo 158. It’s going to be an excellent first board without overspending while you determine whether snowboarding is something you want to pursue more seriously. It gives you everything you need and nothing you don’t, it’s super versatile, and it’s one of the best value boards on the market, in my opinion.

Ok, so having done some more reading, the Typo certainly looks like the better board.  My only concern is that a couple of reviews have suggested that, notwithstanding the Typo has more to offer than the Basic (particularly for the rider who is more into all-mountain than park), it is a more aggressive board & absolute beginners would be better served by the Basic.  Damn you Google, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Both boards ride quite similarly. The Typo honestly isn’t going to be any more difficult to ride — it’s still a fun and easy to ride snowboard. It’s a tad stiffer, but that’s about it. This purchase is going to cost you a few hundred dollars and you’ll ride it for many days over the years. How many of those days will you be an absolute beginner? Two, perhaps?

Don’t believe everything you read online. The Typo is perfectly suitable for beginners, and in your case, it’s the better investment.

“How many of those days will you be an absolute beginner?”

Ha!  Good point.  Will think it over…  smiley

Just one more question (until I think of another one): Notwithstanding the 5mm set-back on the Typo, would it still be a good idea to configure for a centred stance?  I’ve got 5 days planned at Falls Creek in August (gonna leave the skis at home so I’ve no choice but to commit to mastering board basics) - & I’m thinking a centred stance would assist in basic learning.  Then I’m planning on a couple of weeks in Utah next February, where I could reconfigure for a set-back stance to better suit conditions there.  What are your thoughts…?

...Further to my previous question, the next obvious consideration is bindings.  I’m quite keen on the Union Contacts, although I’m mindful that they are a softer flex than might be the best option for all-mountain riding, but I particularly like the canted base design for the comfort factor & for being easy on the knees.  However, it appears you don’t stock the Union range, so do you have an equivalent canted binding you could recommend to go with the Typo?

Regarding the 5mm setback, it’s absolutely minimal and it’s not going to make the board any more difficult to learn on. Actually, it’s quite common for beginner boards to be set back as much as 25mm while also having a directional (tapered) shape. The Typo is still a twin shape, and 5mm of setback isn’t going to be noticeable. The main benefit here is added performance in powder. The slight setback drops the tail a bit easier, giving a bit more float. For the most part, this board is going to behave and feel like a twin.

The Rome 390 Boss bindings are super comfortable (the straps are awesome) with excellent performance and they come with the canted footbeds you’re looking for. This model has a lot of features and is super customisable. Available in black, green, and camo.

Appreciated.  Thanks again for the advice.

Hey mate,

Jez is right, the Typo is such an amazing board for what it is. I’ve ridden mine for about a season and a half now. I’m not a great rider by any means and I ride the whole mountain, park, pow, jibbing, groomers, off piste drops etc etc. it is easily the funnest board I have ever ridden. My Favourite part about it is how much fun it is jibbing but then perfectly fine bombing a fast black groomers run. I can trust it in all situations. It is also really forgiving for such an all mountain board.

The tip and tail are reasonably flexy, I can press and butter it, and it’s sweet spot is amazing. I can hold a layback high speed butter for as long as I want and the board pops out of it when I’m ready to stop. It has so much pop, but also carves amazingly well.

The setback will make no issues for you. I ride switch 25% of the time and I can’t notice the setback. I was also considering the Basic but I am soooo glad I got the Typo, I feel like it has allowed me to progress in my riding massively. It was a serious game changer for me, such an awesome board. I use it as my go to board, I don’t even use my park board anymore when I head to the park.

I think it would be fine for a beginner and also be a perfect board for progression, you won’t get the progression with the Gnu when you want to start doing higher speed carves.

Any other questions just ask mate.

Thanks, Jake.  Appreciate the additional perspective.

Funnily enough, I just replied to an email from Jeremy on the subject.  Man, talk about a knife-edge dilemma (or ‘First World Problem’ as my kids would say)!  I really agonised over this, but in a two-horse race between the Basic & the Typo, in the end it was 51/49 in favour of the Basic.  I scoured the web & simply could not find a bad review on the Basic.  To be fair, there were glowing reviews of the Typo too, but not as plentiful.  Everyone - & I mean EVERYONE - whether it was online or in the shop & talking face-to-face, all agreed the Basic was one of those rare boards for the price that can do pretty much anything.  Yes, a sintered base is a superior one & a faster one, but the high quality extruded base on the Basic ensures it is no slouch either.  To be honest, I’m not an aggressive skier & the last time I charged a black diamond was as a teenager, i.e., a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…  I can’t see anything changing with going from planks to trays, so in a nutshell I think the Basic is more than enough board to get me started.

The other thing - & this is rather petty - but have you seen the graphic/colour for the 2017 Typo 158cm…?!?  Hope brown is your favourite colour!  I mean, I know that how a board rides is more important than how it looks, but even so…  sick

You’ll be stoked on the Basic, @Bunglerat. Enjoy your new ride! shaka

The Basic is a fantastic board; super fun, highly versatile, and great value for money—as you pointed out. The Basic has earned its reputation over a number of years and it deserves the accolades it’s received. I have no doubt you’ll enjoy this board to no end. You had all the information in front of you and you made an informed choice. I’m glad we were able to assist you in making this decision.

Welcome once again to the community! You’ll have to let us know what you think of the Basic! ? ?

You will love the basic mate, I demoed it before i bought the Typo and loved it. Happy shredding and give us a report of how you go with it.

4 year after the last reply and I’m at the same dilemma, Basic Vs Typo smile. @Bunglerat how’s the Basic treating you? Were you able to keep progressing to high intermediate levels?

I started skiing 4 years ago and got into a intermediate level, tried snowboarding for 5 days during the last season with a friend and I was hooked. It seems I picked up pretty fast. Looking at level videos/guidance, I think I’m at 4-5 ( high beginner, low intermediate?). I still don’t know what I like, but considering I’m an active 40 yo I do plan to hit the mountain and the past 70/30 I guess. The rental board I used last year was a Rossi TrickStick 2013 and I have no idea how to compare it, it did look a bit slow at the end of the week. I shortlisted the Basic and Typo. I’m leaning towards the Typo as it seems to be more all mountain than the Basic, but will I progress well on switch on, tricks and parks too? I see that the Basic could also be a great board all mountain for an intermediate, not aggressive, rider.

Damn first world problems :D

Thanks for this great thread interaction.