The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

2016 Drug Aware Pro - Margaret River!

2015 Runner up John Florence throwing some serious power down at the Drug Aware Pro. Photo: WSL/Kelly Cestari

Introduction
Welcome to the Drug Aware Pro in Margaret River, stop number 3 on the World Surf League Championship Tour. The West Coast of Australia is renowned for its fine wine, amazing food and world class surf.  Margies as it’s known to the locals, will come to the party for the event waiting period with its finesse and raw power. Hosting the worlds best surfers, we’re definitely in for a treat.

Breakdown
The good thing about this event is that they can go mobile. Being able to pick 3 world class spots, will suit any surfer on the dream tour.

Main Break: The main break at Margarets is an a-frame peak, however most guys go right as the left can get a bit on the fat side. It can hold from 2-15ft. ESE winds are favourable along with WSW 2-4m ground swells for main break to really kick off.

The Box: A gnarly and thick right hander, The Box is a heaving slab breaking over shallow reef. Optimum conditions for the Box are light/moderate ENE-NE winds, a mid to high tide and mid to long period west - WSW groundswell in the 2.5m-3.5m range.

North Point: North Point can be fickle, but when it lights up on the right swell and and wind, boy you better look out. This is the pride break out of the 3. Needing a solid WSW-SW groundswell this grinding reef break can dish up either the best tube of your life or one of the biggest hidings. Floats like a butterfly, stings like swarm of hornets.

Bells Beach Recap
Matt Wilkinson! Again!! I actually would of never of picked Wilko going back to back. He has silenced the critics and has a whopping lead over the rest of the field. Fun fact - The last time anyone won Snapper and Bells back to back they went onto win the World Title. Kelly Slater did it along with Sunny Garcia. Jordy Smith who took runner up looks to be back in fine form, carving up the bells bowl with a series of man hacks, annihilating anyone that stood in his way. The rookies are still continuing their dominance, Connor Coffin looked unstoppable until he came unstuck against Mick Fanning in the Quarters. Davey Cathels also had a solid run into round 5. Heavy hitters Jeremy Flores, Taj Burrow and Josh Kerr all had bad results bombing out in round 2.

Injury Update
Mick Fanning: Out - Hiatus. Replacment: Dusty Payne
Filipe Toledo:  Out - Knee. Replacment: Sebastian Zeitz
Owen Wright: Out - Head. Replacment: Adam Melling
Bede Durbidge: Out - Pelvis. Replacement: Stuart Kennedy
Jack Freestone: Out - Knee. Replacement: Leonardo Fioravanti

Wildcards
West coast charger and local tube pig Jack Robinson (AUS) got the call up from WSL commissioner Kieren Perrow.

Offical Surfline Forecast

Brief Overview: A series of medium size SW/SSW swells look possible during the first week+ of the waiting period along with generally favorable morning wind. At this point the last few days of the waiting period look slower, although we’re low confidence on specifics this far out. 

Saltyseadogs Fantasy Surf Tips
Make sure you have your power team stacked!  Margaret River has a lot of energy. Something that the likes of Adriano De Souza, Jordy Smith and Connor Coffin will thrive on. Further down the list, Michel Bourez picked himself up after Snapper and being a past winner here you can be sure he’s going to come out guns blazing. John John Florence is another force not to be taken lightly either for obvious reasons. Right down the bottom of the food change I think local wildcard Jack Robinson, known for his massive barrel riding skills will do well and the brut Hawaiian that packs a big punch - Dusty Payne, could be a great dark horse pick.

Past Margaret River Champions
2015: Adriano de Souza (BRA)
2014: Michel Bourez (PYF)
1990: Barton Lynch (AUS)
1989: Dave Macaulay (AUS)
1987: Tom Carroll (AUS)
1986: Tom Carroll (AUS)
1985: Mark Occhilupo (AUS)

Summery
Can Matt Wilkinson continue his fairy tale start to the year? Will Kelly Slater be able to string a heat win together? Will local legend Taj Burrow find his mojo? Or will all the wheels fall off? Stay tuned to Boardworld as we unleash all Drug Aware Margaret River Pro coverage for 2016.

Event kicks off 8th of April.

Mens Round 1 Match Ups
Heat 1: Jeremy Flores, Taj Burrow, Alex Ribiero
Heat 2: Julian Wilson, Kai Otton, Adam Melling
Heat 3: Matt Wilkinson, Stu Kennedy, Dusty Payne
Heat 4: Italo Ferreira, Kanoa Igarashi, Jack Robinson
Heat 5: Gabriel Medina, Davey Cathels, Leonardo Fioravanti
Heat 6: Adriano DeSouza, Keanu Asing, TBA
Heat 7: Jordy Smith, Michel Bourez, Alejo Muniz
Heat 8: Nat Young, Caio Ibelli, Matt Banting
Heat 9: Joel Parkinson, Conner Coffin, Ryan Callinan
Heat 10: Kelly Slater, Kolohe Andino, Miguel Pupo
Heat 11: John John Florence, Adrian Buchan, Sebastian Zietz
Heat 12: WIggolly Dantas, Josh Kerr, Jadson Andre

Awesome write-up once again, @saltyseadog! shaka

I’ve made my picks for WSL Fantasy. @walker  took a bit of a beating in Event 2. wink

@Azz... flushed

rider26 - 08 April 2016 03:45 AM

Awesome write-up once again, @saltyseadog! shaka

I’ve made my picks for WSL Fantasy. @walker  took a bit of a beating in Event 2. wink

@Azz... flushed

Can’t believe I forgot to put my picks in last time! I realised on finals day…bummer. Got ‘em in this time though, I’ll make up some ground…

I did mine smile

Mens round 1 and 2 kicked off at the Drug Aware Margaret River Pro in some stella conditions. But before we dive into highlights and performances, Taj Burrow had some breaking news.
If you havent heard Taj will be hanging up the jersey after Fiji! He announced his retirement yesterday. Taj has had an amazing career with numerous events wins after 19 years on the world tour.

Burrow’s Career CT Wins:
Hurley Pro at Trestles (2013)
O’Neill Coldwater Classic (2012)
Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast (2012)
Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast (2010)
Billabong Pipe Masters (2009)
Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach (2007)
Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay (2007)
Nova Schin Festival WCT Brasil (2004)
Mundial Coca Cola de Surf (2002)
Coke Surf Classic Manly (1999)
Rio Marathon Surf International (1999)

We wish Taj all the best for his future and can’t wait to see what he has instore for us!

Taj Burrows Big News

Mens Round 1 Highlights

Mens Round 2 Highlights