The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Best Freestyle fit for me

At the moment I’m on a 2010 Ride Control 158 that I got from work and want to get my own but am a little bit stuck on what i want.

Preferably a Freestyle type board with a good pop for jumping and softer flex for jibbing in the park but still be able to handle well in a good carve. I know I’m looking at a CamRocker Hybrid but the sizing is throwing me off. I’m 6’1” 175lbs (at the moment) size 11 Nike Kaiju.

I was set on a Libtech Skate Banana but I figured it wouldn’t have as much pop compared to the C2 profiles. Now it’s between the T.Rice Pro, Travis Rice Pro and a Burton Custom. If you guys have other better suggestions shout them out, and thanks for any help you can provide!

Also forgot to mention I’m an intermediate to advanced rider

Welcome to Boardworld, @DavieC123. shaka

From your first paragraph, it definitely sounds like you want a versatile ride. Pop, park, jibbing, carving… you need a versatile board. I think you’re right looking at CamRock. But none of the boards you mentioned are CamRock. The Skate Banana is full rocker (or close to it), the C2 profiles are the other type of hybrid (rocker between the feet, camber nose and tail), and the Burton Custom is full camber. CamRock is actually camber between the feet, and rocker nose and tail — which I think is the best option out of the lot for high-performance versatility. You’ll find this profile prevalent in the YES Snowboards and Jones Snowboards ranges, amongst others.

I’d suggest you look at something like the YES Jackpot. I think it would suit you well. True twin park board, medium flex, CamRock profile, sintered base, and a lifetime warranty. It also happens to be a TWS Good Wood winner.

Size-wise, I’d probably put you on something around the 158 mark. It’s a good starting point as it will handle most conditions. Where are you from? Where do you ride? Where do you plan on riding etc.?

Hit me back with more info and any questions and I’ll be happy to help you further.

If you want to read up further on the different camber profiles: http://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4119

Maybe look into Flat Profile boards as well.
Flat boards or boards with very small amounts of camber are great for park riding but can also hold an edge better than rocker boards (or rocker based hybrids).

The only downside to them is they don’t have a lot of pop, but will still have a decent pop when they bend to the shape of a jump and release. Also Brands like K2 and Stepchild usually add some carbon rods or similar to the nose and tail to give extra snap to your ollies and nollies to make up for the mellow pop.

rider26 - 24 February 2016 06:11 PM

Welcome to Boardworld, @DavieC123. shaka

From your first paragraph, it definitely sounds like you want a versatile ride. Pop, park, jibbing, carving… you need a versatile board. I think you’re right looking at CamRock. But none of the boards you mentioned are CamRock. The Skate Banana is full rocker (or close to it), the C2 profiles are the other type of hybrid (rocker between the feet, camber nose and tail), and the Burton Custom is full camber. CamRock is actually camber between the feet, and rocker nose and tail — which I think is the best option out of the lot for high-performance versatility. You’ll find this profile prevalent in the YES Snowboards and Jones Snowboards ranges, amongst others.

I’d suggest you look at something like the YES Jackpot. I think it would suit you well. True twin park board, medium flex, CamRock profile, sintered base, and a lifetime warranty. It also happens to be a TWS Good Wood winner.

Size-wise, I’d probably put you on something around the 158 mark. It’s a good starting point as it will handle most conditions. Where are you from? Where do you ride? Where do you plan on riding etc.?

Hit me back with more info and any questions and I’ll be happy to help you further.

I live and ride local in Southern California, so Mountain high and Bear. There’s not much powder so groomers and park riding is the main focus. I want to get better at presses and big air but if it fells shaky bombing a hill then it will ruin confidence in it, so like you said versatility is key. No big plans to go much anywhere else within the next couple seasons tho

Honestly, I would stick to full camber or CamRock (camber between the feet, rockered nose and tail). There’s no reason why you can’t press and butter a cambered board—in fact, with good technique I would argue your performance would even be better. YES Snowboards makes some amazing CamRock boards—definitely look into the Jackpot. Or you could go for a full cambered board, of which there are many on the market. Go with the brand you’re most stoked on. wink