The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

Well this is a timely thread, I’m also an Aussie looking to work at Whistler for the 2016/2017 season and I’m trying to find out more info about the job fair in late Oct.

I was going to sign up for the Working Holiday Club but they’ve filled their Whistler Quota already so looks like I’ll have to head over for the job fair. My aim is to get a full time job with Whistler so I can get staff accomodation but the only thing I’m worried about is that if I can’t get a job with the resort at the fair I’m going to have to find my own accomodation which I heard at that time is difficult.

I have retail and fast food experience but I have been working in an office for the last three years, I’m hoping that if I do my research and prepare though that my chances of landing a job with the resort will be pretty good.

I guess I don’t really have a specific question as a lot have been answered here already but any advice you could give a first timer would be much appreciated, especially with landing a job with the resort!

readyforsomesnow - 22 February 2016 02:00 PM

Would it be wise to start my police check now and once I get that back then apply for my visa?

Also in terms of working, I know that you apply for the job fair a month before it actually starts. Is it correct that you can only apply for one job through the fair? I ask because I haven’t had much hospitality experience. I’ve primarily worked within offices and retail/beauty. But I’ve heard hospitality is better for tips etc(but obviously if I haven’t worked in a bar before I can’t expect to start in whistler). What jobs would you recommend applying for?

I’m trying to do it all by myself, do you think it’s doable or is it worth going through somewhere like the Whc?

I think it’s smart to do everything with time to spare. The visa is the most important and most unpredictable, so definitely start that ASAP. If that means you need to do your police check now to complete the application, then I would do that now as well.

I’m not sure of the exact process for specific jobs, but I’m fairly certain they will interview you, talk to you, and offer you a job they think suits you and that you will excel in. Each job has its advantages and disadvantages, so keep an open mind. A lot of people end up changing jobs when opportunities come up, so your main priority should just be getting your foot in the door, get your season pass, get into staff accommodation etc.

It’s totally doable on your own. You’re organised and planning ahead, so you should be fine. And I think you will find most agencies like TWHC would be completely full by now. I spoke to them last season to find out information for our members, and I was basically told they are fully booked by the November the year before the season you’re applying for.

SK89 - 22 February 2016 11:59 PM

Well this is a timely thread, I’m also an Aussie looking to work at Whistler for the 2016/2017 season and I’m trying to find out more info about the job fair in late Oct.

I was going to sign up for the Working Holiday Club but they’ve filled their Whistler Quota already so looks like I’ll have to head over for the job fair. My aim is to get a full time job with Whistler so I can get staff accomodation but the only thing I’m worried about is that if I can’t get a job with the resort at the fair I’m going to have to find my own accomodation which I heard at that time is difficult.

I have retail and fast food experience but I have been working in an office for the last three years, I’m hoping that if I do my research and prepare though that my chances of landing a job with the resort will be pretty good.

I guess I don’t really have a specific question as a lot have been answered here already but any advice you could give a first timer would be much appreciated, especially with landing a job with the resort!

Welcome to Boardworld, @SK89! shaka

My general advice also ties in with your concern of not getting a job at the job fair. Plan ahead, be organised, have all your documents and visas in order, get in early… all these things will put you in a great position to be offered a job with WB. The other thing I would bring your attention to is your presentation and how you handle yourself in the interview. They are looking for people who are enthusiastic, people who want to work for WB, people who are willing to be part of a team. I know this sounds silly but you’d be surprised how many people show up not prepared for an interview. Shave, dress nicely, talk clearly and with confidence. Show you are organised and that you’re going to be an asset to WB. If you do all of that, you really shouldn’t have a problem being offered a job.

Hit me up with any specific questions. ?

Thanks for the friendly welcome, you can call me Sean as well

So it looks like if I have everything organised I shouldn’t have too much trouble getting a job with WB. I guess I’ll get the ball rolling with sorting out my work visa then.

SK89 - 26 February 2016 05:33 PM

Thanks for the friendly welcome, you can call me Sean as well

So it looks like if I have everything organised I shouldn’t have too much trouble getting a job with WB. I guess I’ll get the ball rolling with sorting out my work visa then.

No worries, Sean!

I hope to see you over here next season.

TH850 - 22 February 2016 04:41 PM

Might as well start the visa process now. You have a year to get into Canada before you need to apply again so now or in July makes no difference if you’re heading over for the 16/17 season.
Have you logged onto cic.gc.ca and started the application process?
Log on, make your account and fill in all your details to get the ball rolling.
Then jump onto the afp page, fill in your details and pay the $42. Now if you’ve been a good girl and have no convictions you’ll get an email within a couple of days saying it’s been processed and is being mailed out. Took less than a week for me to have the certificate in my hand.

It only took 2 days for the Canadian government to send the invitation to apply letter. Now you have 10 days to accept the invitation, and after you have accepted the invitation, you have 20 days to get all the paperwork submitted, and have paid the $250cad.

Fill in the rest of the questions you’re asked, then:
-You need to print off a ‘family questions’ page, fill that in and upload it
-Upload a resume,
-Upload 4 months of bank statements or a tax return etc.
-upload your afp check
-Upload a copy of your passport photo page
-Upload a passport image of yourself.

There’s a little question mark next to all of them that tells you exactly what to send.

Good Luck!

Thanks so much @TH850 makes it so much easier to have all that information on hand. I’m hoping to start the process this weekend smile

rider26 - 25 February 2016 08:19 AM
readyforsomesnow - 22 February 2016 02:00 PM

Would it be wise to start my police check now and once I get that back then apply for my visa?

Also in terms of working, I know that you apply for the job fair a month before it actually starts. Is it correct that you can only apply for one job through the fair? I ask because I haven’t had much hospitality experience. I’ve primarily worked within offices and retail/beauty. But I’ve heard hospitality is better for tips etc(but obviously if I haven’t worked in a bar before I can’t expect to start in whistler). What jobs would you recommend applying for?

I’m trying to do it all by myself, do you think it’s doable or is it worth going through somewhere like the Whc?

I think it’s smart to do everything with time to spare. The visa is the most important and most unpredictable, so definitely start that ASAP. If that means you need to do your police check now to complete the application, then I would do that now as well.

I’m not sure of the exact process for specific jobs, but I’m fairly certain they will interview you, talk to you, and offer you a job they think suits you and that you will excel in. Each job has its advantages and disadvantages, so keep an open mind. A lot of people end up changing jobs when opportunities come up, so your main priority should just be getting your foot in the door, get your season pass, get into staff accommodation etc.

It’s totally doable on your own. You’re organised and planning ahead, so you should be fine. And I think you will find most agencies like TWHC would be completely full by now. I spoke to them last season to find out information for our members, and I was basically told they are fully booked by the November the year before the season you’re applying for.

@rider26 thanks again! you’re a pool of information and I appreciate it LOL one more question that’s on my mind.. I want to start the application for my visa hopefully this weekend, and am I correct that one of the steps is attaching your resume? my question basically is, do they call your references? My concern is that I’m still working and haven’t spoken to my boss about possibly leaving later this year, and don’t want to speak to her about it yet…  gulp

I highly doubt it. As far as I’m aware they do not. I think you’re safe on this one. wink

rider26 - 05 March 2016 11:02 AM

I highly doubt it. As far as I’m aware they do not. I think you’re safe on this one. wink

Haha okay great LOL okay one last pestering question and I think I’m done for now grin realistically, before you pay for flights, visa, travel insurance etc. what would you estimate the amount the you need for the whole process? I just wanna make sure that I budget enough before I go. I know that living is tight over there and that its nice to have as much saved as possible. But how much would est is enough all together?

Double check this but I think you’re required to show a minimum of $4000 in either AUD or CAD in savings when you enter the country. This is so they know you have enough funds to get set up. Make sure you have a printout of your bank accounts showing this when you enter Canada. But to answer your question, I think this is fairly accurate for how much you need in reserve to get set up and have a bit of money for a rainy day. However, I’d aim for more if you can. $5000 would be a good target.

rider26 - 08 March 2016 12:15 PM

Double check this but I think you’re required to show a minimum of $4000 in either AUD or CAD in savings when you enter the country. This is so they know you have enough funds to get set up. Make sure you have a printout of your bank accounts showing this when you enter Canada. But to answer your question, I think this is fairly accurate for how much you need in reserve to get set up and have a bit of money for a rainy day. However, I’d aim for more if you can. $5000 would be a good target.

Okay sweet, so meaning $5000 to take with me and then on top of that pay for visa, police check, flights and travel insurance before leaving?
Also i was wondering, how long do most people stay for once the season starts in November? As I’m wanting to hopefully travel a bit of the US after whistler. Would I need a special form or seperate visa to travel for awhile in the US?

Yep, that’s right. I think legally you need to show $4000 in your account (they will let you know when they issue the visa but double check the amount). This should be enough depending on your lifestyle ?  but as I said earlier, if you can take $5000 or more, it just means you’ll be more comfortable (or have money to travel the US).

Usually, the working season goes until approximately the end of April. Most jobs will expect you to commit to staying for the season. So call it the end of April (and yes, you can still snowboard into May).

To travel the USA as a tourist you will be fine (for up to 90 days). You need to register for an ESTA before you enter the country. Do this ahead of time! Apply for your ESTA here: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html

If you plan on working, that’s a different story.

The required amount is $2500CAD + either a return ticket or proof of extra funds to purchase a ticket, along with travel insurance for the duration of your stay. It’s a 2 year visa, but if you only get 6 months insurance they’re within their rights to only issue you a 6 month visa, and there’s no way to extend it if that happens either. That’s your one shot at IEC done in 6 months. I’m aiming to have closer to $10k NZD saved as I’ll be working back to back seasons so need some money to get by while being an unemployed tourist between seasons hah.

If you want a job with WB check online before you come and try to have the job before you come over. Staff accom. fills up very quick. For example the start of the season this year for glacier staff housing had a 200 long waiting list. People couldn’t afford to stay not living in staff accom. and just had to leave whistler altogether.

rider26 - 08 March 2016 02:03 PM

Yep, that’s right. I think legally you need to show $4000 in your account (they will let you know when they issue the visa but double check the amount). This should be enough depending on your lifestyle ?  but as I said earlier, if you can take $5000 or more, it just means you’ll be more comfortable (or have money to travel the US).

Usually, the working season goes until approximately the end of April. Most jobs will expect you to commit to staying for the season. So call it the end of April (and yes, you can still snowboard into May).

To travel the USA as a tourist you will be fine (for up to 90 days). You need to register for an ESTA before you enter the country. Do this ahead of time! Apply for your ESTA here: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html

If you plan on working, that’s a different story.

Okay awesome, I wanted to know a ballpark idea on funds and then just save as much as possible on top of that! In terms of US travel, do you need an esta for the 90 day period or is that if you’re planning to travel longer than 90 days?