The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Wakeboarders - Do we have any ?

Since the ending of the epic season at Perisher.
I’ve been lucky enough to be based up at the Sunny Coast where I am learning yet another board sport - Wakeboarding.

It’s similarities to snowboarding had me really surprised.

Have we got any other wakeboarders in the house? Cable or Boat?

Where do you ride? What do you ride?

And I am interested to hear what you find most difficult or easy - transfering between the sports.

I absolutely love wakeboarding! It’s so much fun. Not something I get to do too often but I take up every opportunity I get and I bought my own wakeboard setup a few years ago. I’ve seen some of your photos on Facebook—looks awesome!

I learnt to ride at cables when I was a kid. Since then, I’ve done cables in a few different places including Singapore! I’ve wakeboarded a few times behind a boat and more regularly behind my waverunner (doesn’t make a great wake but it’s still pretty fun).

We normally end up at Lake Macquarie or Port Stephens… both beautiful spots.

Isn’t it such a hard upper body workout! I’ve been loving it!

Have you been out on the wakeskate before ?

No, but I’d love to try wakeskating! We’ve towed pretty much everything else. I’ve even “wakeboarded” on a kneeboard being towed behind a dingy in the Bahamas haha.

It was something we did at least once a week about 5 years ago but sold the boat a few months back as we haven’t gone out in over 2 years!!!  downer

It was fantastic while it lasted.  We had a wakecraft - that boat had serious grunt. And a lease on a lake at Bonnies Ski Park.  Purpose built ski and wakeboard facility in WA.  When WA had it’s daylight saving experiment we would have the car ready to go when school finished, throw the kids in and head down.  They’d do their homework in between turns, I’d cook a BBQ while Hubby drove the boat and we’d head back after dark.

Unfortunately I thought I was a teenager, landed a wake to wake, then got a wobble, caught a toe edge and slammed hard.  Smashed my shoulder which eventually needed surgery.  I got up two or three times after that but was too tentative to really get that thrill back.

The boys tried it all - knee boards, skis, wake skate.  My 2nd oldest preferred the wake skate, but he also likes practicing boarding with his bindings and boots undone…

The young ones sport commitments killed the wakeboarding fun, but I’m really glad we did it when we could.  Awesome family time. shaka v