The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Fernie 2015/2016

Looks awesome, TJ! How do you rate Fernie against other mountains in Canada?

Fernie is insane! Massive mountain which feels much bigger than the map makes it look. Lots of steep areas and the powder here is awesome!

It’s shorter than Revvie and the trees aren’t as good. However I found Revvie much easier to ride for the day and less variety.

It’s technically smaller than Sun Peaks but feels like there is much more room and better areas. It’s definitely steeper and more intense. Definitely not as family friendly. And we don’t get as many blue bird days (but our foggy days aren’t as bad as they were in Sun Peaks. The headwalls here protect us from too many windy days.

And its everything over the 2 days I had at Manning Park. But that’s because Manning is tiny and closer to the coast (so wetter snow). But Manning did get a meter of snow in 2 days and had nobody there to cut it up which was awesome.

Fernie looked like this at lunch time today though:

Awesome man, sounds super fun!

Nice, TJ! About time for another update? grin

Yeah, TJ! Stop having fun and fill us in! ?

New update! YAY!!!!!

1. Last update was in January so it’s been over a month. Only 4.5 weeks left in the season, it’s gone too quick!

2. First up, it’s been so much better working since the holiday season. There aren’t nearly as many punters around and there are rarely lineups unless it’s a pow day or a busy weekend.

3. We did another Australia Day run. Just as cold as last time. Just as much fun.
- Video here if you are facebook friends with me: https://www.facebook.com/CheesyKos/videos/10204760018074861/

4. We went to Kicking Horse for a few days, got a 21cm pow day. Was awesome.
Video here if you are facebook friends with me: https://www.facebook.com/CheesyKos/videos/10204764431945205/

5. We watched a Superbowl. I was going for the Panthers but they choked.

6. We did a Kimberley trip the next week: (Everyone can watch this one since I edited it and have set permissions to public)
https://www.facebook.com/Tristan.Brown297/videos/10153291796546283/

7. Shred Kelly played a concert at the community centre. It was awesome!

Here is some of their music if you’re interested. Live was better smile -

8. We had a 35-40cm pow day and were just hucking it off jumps. Here is one from Dusty.

9. Travelled to Banff. Was very touristy and the mountains didn’t feel as challenging as Fernie or Kicking Horse or Revvie. We may not have found all the cool runs though so I’m just judging on 1 day worth of riding. The experience was worth it though.

We had 6 people in the car and went Banff -> Sunshine -> Calgary for a Flames game -> Lake Louise -> Golden -> Kicking Horse -> Fernie all over 4 days / 3 nights.

This trip included lots of shenanigans and partying!

From the top of Lake Louise Alpine Resort

Walking on the famous Lake Louise

House party in Golden lead to Leigh getting a box on his head. Happy Birthday mate!

This one is at the top of Terminator 2. A 30 minute hike from the top of the gondola to the boundary of the resort.

Just some serenity on the drive home

10. We had another staff party. This one was cowboy / hoedown themed. I also got hit in the head with a lift sign that was stored on top of our lockers in the staff room so my face is super sexy right now raspberry.

11. We are heading to Whitefish Montana tomorrow to check out another resort that we get free passes at. Shred Kelly is playing there tomorrow night so that should be fun too!

Great stuff, @TJswish! Australia Day looks like it was a hoot(ers)! ?

Nice man, looks like epic fun! So jealous.

Better late than never, last update of the season now I’m back in Australia.

1. We went to Whitefish (Montana, USA)

Where we found a Jesus statue and decided to give it high fives

And saw Shred Kelly play again.

2. We had some awesome looking powder days with massive flakes (they were a bit wet so not always as awesome as they looked but still cool.

3. I found this random shelter one day in the Surprise trees. Might be why they are called the Suprise trees?

4. We did a big ride day for St Patricks day.

5. I had lots of days where barely anyone was on the hill late season. I often listened to sporting matches. Fulham played on Tuesday mornings haha.

6. Our house had a bonfire party in the side street behind our house.

7. We had a massive party on staff day after a full day of riding with no punters. The groomers even built a few decent booters on the hill.

And we got a photo with a good chunk of the lifties.

8. I drove back to Vancouver.

9. I played golf in Vancouver.

10. And I checked out the 420 festival.

(Cheers to Chris and Talon who put me up in Vancouver.)

11. I made it back to Sydney safely!

Till next year Fernie, it’s time for some Falls Creek action!

Great stuff, @TJswish. Looks like it was an epic season! shaka