The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Skier Gus Kenworthy Comes Out

Hey Peeps,

Yes he is a dirty skier (and you probably know him most as that guy who adopted Puppies and bought them home from Sochi)

What are you thoughts? Do you think your sexuality changes peoples perceptions of you as an action sport guy?

Do you think it is significant as Ian Roberts coming out? Or how about Ian Thorpe?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachael-oakesash/how-usa-olympic-skier-gus_b_8363184.html?ir=Australia

Well, they always say that’s the hardest thing about skiing!!!!!

When they have to tell their friends and family!!!!!

It’s a non-issue to me. Doesn’t change my perception in any way (whoever it is). This is just my personal opinion. Others might feel differently.

I think stereotypes is an interesting thing…

People make soo many assumptions.

My cousin is a Ballet dancer.

9/10 people assume i am talking about my female cousin… then when I say he is male they then assume he is gay (nope!)

it’s not an issue, nor is it relevant.

Tambo - 29 October 2015 06:48 AM

it’s not an issue, nor is it relevant.

True!!!!!

So why do they themselves make it an issue?????

I mean, before Thorpey “came out”, who of us honestly didn’t think he was gay?????

Terje, telling it like it is shaka

Azz - 29 October 2015 08:51 PM

Terje, telling it like it is shaka

This World needs more of it!!!!!

I actually agree with terje…

Coming out shouldn’t be news…it shouldn’t make head lines… 

It should be NORMAL…  why is it a big deal if he is gay. Or straight. Or bi. Or even transgender…??  Why do people even care?

It doesn’t affect him as a human.. Or as an athlete / his job..  so why is It even an issue at all?

Seriously..some people have a lot of growing up to do (the media/the US)...  Other peoples sexual preference are no one else’s business.. And it shouldn’t have to be kept a secret or be a big deal..  It shouldn’t even be a factor.. 

I agree with you, h0z. thumbsup

h0z - 30 October 2015 01:27 AM

Coming out shouldn’t be news…it shouldn’t make head lines… 

It should be NORMAL…  why is it a big deal if he is gay. Or straight. Or bi. Or even transgender…??  Why do people even care?

Couldn’t agree more. At the end of the day we’re all human regardless!

Why the fuck are we talking about a skier anyway???  mizu

I laughed when I read the “isn’t all skiers gay” comment!

Seriously though, how hard did the wanker journalist try to shoehorn a public apology out of Terje?!  “I’m sure this piece is going to put a little more gas on the fire.”

Obviously the point of the article.  Just showed your hand there, fuckhead.

10/10 to Terje for sticking to his guns.

what is, is. so don’t make it an issue. if you are after media coverage, so something that is news worthy. And if you’re a journo, time to not make a deal of it. Then we might have equality for all, no matter what preference, race or creed you are. Time to make it real.

Tambo - 03 November 2015 09:03 PM

what is, is. so don’t make it an issue. if you are after media coverage, so something that is news worthy. And if you’re a journo, time to not make a deal of it. Then we might have equality for all, no matter what preference, race or creed you are. Time to make it real.

Yep X 1,000,000!!!!!

I think the more non-issues like this are constantly in the media, the more “discrimination” there seems to be!!!!!