The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada - el Nino?

Hughman666 - 25 September 2015 07:25 PM

That would be good to see actually.  I’m still tossing up as to whether to head inland for part of the trip to check out the other resorts - Sun Peaks looks pretty good!

You’ll be happy with just Whistler but I always find it cool to see new places.

Sun Peaks is quite different than Whistler and Revvie that you were looking at (which is one of my reasons for heading to Fernie rather than going back). It has a lot of mellower terrain and lack of cliffs / good tree runs. They also groom everything to the fact that it can snow overnight and you can’t even tell on >50% of the runs.

However for someone like Mud, it’s a perfect resort. Very family friendly and a decent amount of nightlife with still easy access to and from the lifts. Tons of terrain and if you know where to go (Gils, Triangle (off the side of “The Other Way”) and Hidden Valley) there is always hidden stashes to be found!

One of my favourite runs there was the Ausfaht trees. Can’t be groomed and there is no lift out there (you go that way to get from Sundance to Morrisey) so it’s never ridden and always keeps pow for weeks (until it becomes crusty and crap lol)

———————————

From what i’ve heard, Apex is small and has some gnarly terrain and is awesome when it snows. Also closer to Vancouver for easy access if you’re only doing a few days on the road. Or check out Manning Park. Again smaller and cheaper and the best runs aren’t that crazy but when it snows, it buckets down. Super cheap accom (think we paid $80 for 2 nights with 2 queen beds) and $50 tickets (rather than $120 at Whistler or $85 at Sun Peaks / Silver Ski / Big White) though this might be because there is only 2 lifts and they were both built in the 60’s. Also check which days you’d want to go as they sometimes close on Tuesdays / Wednesdays if I remember correctly and there is only 1 chair open on Thursdays (Orange). Orange does have the better terrain though!

I’d head further east to try and get more vertical than sunpeaks if I was out here on a holiday. Say Kicking Horse or Panorama for example. That way, if you’re here while the temps are +0 and it’s rain out on the coast you’ve got a better chance of getting above the freezing level.

Quite a bit of the recent modelling around El Nino is indicating that The Blob (warm eastern pacific water temps) and the Really Resilient Ridge (of high pressure) that dealt us a warmer than average winter this season just gone, is getting bumped out of the way by E.N.  The good news is that this will possibly allow more trough patterns to form, funnelling some cooler air down from the AK panhandle.

The predictions are saying that we’ll still get warm temps, but El Nino is never predicable. My money is on some decent snowfalls at high altitudes but with very high freezing levels. I don’t see the local Vancouver mountains having a great season. But I’ll be happy if I’m proved wrong.

I’ll throw a vote up for Apex. Tiny resort but good terrain considering the size.
Somewhere else worth considering close to Van if you want to get away from Whistler is Baker, if they have a good season. Big IF, they were hurting last season. But it’s only 2 hrs from Van and tickets are US$65 or so. Sure the lifts are old and slow, but it’s fun as hell… if you like it steep

#firstpost and all that

Welcome to Boardworld, Backdoor! punch

Weren’t they saying the same for Australia this year? That is was going to be a super strong El Nino and a shocker of a season? They pretty much all but guaranteed it. Seemed like a solid season to me. I’m with Mizu… anyone got a coin?

I really want to get to Baker. I say the same every season. I really should just shut up and go.

rider26 - 09 October 2015 09:50 AM

just shut up and go.

Life motto right here!

Especially in situations where we are talking about snow conditions. If it’s not dumping where you are but is somewhere else - just shut up and go!

rider26 - 09 October 2015 09:50 AM

I really want to get to Baker. I say the same every season. I really should just shut up and go.

yeah do it, after a good dump. it’s not a hell of alot of fun when its icy.
It’s not fancy but it’s got a certain charm to it. Feels pretty rugged.
The locals are super friendly, there are good beers on the taps in the lodges, weeds legal and the vibe is really chilled.
That’s why I’ve had my last 2 Christmas lunches off the camp stove out in the car park there.

Stop in at Chair 9 on the way through Glacier for a beer and pizza and check out the rad vintage board collection on the walls. Or check out the new Glacier bowl and Jamie Lynn’s art all over it

I agree with your salt Rhys. Warmer years can be bad but colder can be bad too since the water is too cold to fall. It has to be in that correct zone to fall so if it’s still cold enough, we could get more falls.

Lets stay on the flip a coin and hope idea, and hinge our bets that we don’t get 2 bad years in a row…

Whistler’s picking up some early stuff over the weekend, starting to look ok.  Might not mean a lot at this stage but it’s a good start…

Hughmann - are you in Whis, too?

Woke up to some of that magic white stuff this morning - came down lower than they predicted I think. There was snow on the trees just above Rainbow actually. Winter is definitely making a come back!

I am so excite!

Heck yeah, stoke is up.
Almost everywhere on the coast got some snow, the interior and the rockies did well out of this system too.
Could be some more by the end of the week and it looks like temps could stay low for the next 2 weeks at least.

I’m heading over late Jan - just stalking the webcams and weather forecasts   grin

Looks like Friday-Sunday there’s more on the way, 40cm+

Let’s see how it pans out, the 14 day forecast is showing some good signs….

43cm predicted this weekend at Fernie.

Am I going to arrive to a white town?

This may be a little optimistic but two systems hitting by next Wednesday is good news….

Hughman666 - 05 November 2015 06:56 AM

This may be a little optimistic but two systems hitting by next Wednesday is good news….

*slow clap*

This makes me pretty happy!
Doing a quick trip back to Perth in 2 weeks, I bet everything opens up while I’m away.