The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

2015 Yes Jackpot or Greats

I’m more of a beginner, and looking to get my first board. I’m 5’11, 170lbs, size 9.5/10 boot. I’m older and looking for more of an all mountain board as I really just enjoy carving down the mountain (or at least trying to). I don’t see myself in the park but I do enjoy the occasional trip out of the midwestern US to some real mountains.

I’ve been looking at the Yes Greats and Jackpot as I can get them for a good price and like the hybrid camber profile. The sizing of the Jackpot has me probably around the 152/154 and Greats around 154/156. What do you think would be the better board for a Novice like myself?

Welcome to Boardworld, Nutwarrior!

I assume you live in the USA? In which case you would be looking at the 2015 range. So, not these 2016 boards: https://www.boardworld.com.au/brands/yes-snowboards—correct?

Both those boards are awesome, however based on what you’re saying, I would encourage you to look at other boards in the YES range (which share the same CamRock profile as the Greats and Jackpot). The Greats and Jackpot are both true twins, so while they are versatile due to the profile, the shape is more geared towards freestyle rather than all-mountain/freeriding.

Both these boards are new (or re-introduced more accurately) for the 2016 range, but I would suggest the Typo or the Optimistic. The Typo would actually be what I would recommend. It’s very “novice-friendly” with a more mellow flex, while still having high-end features such as a sintered base and UnderBite edges. Both these boards are directional twins, so a little bit more suited to what you’re looking for, while still being highly versatile for freestyle, all-mountain, and everything in between.

If you are indeed only looking at the 2015 range, you won’t be able to get the Typo or Optimistic. If you have to choose between the Greats and Jackpot, I would go for the Greats. It’s a fantastic board.

I hope this informations helps you a bit. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the response! A lot of good info. You’re correct… I’m in the US and looking at the 2015 range. Unfortunately the Typo isn’t out here yet. I checked it out online though and looks like it’d be perfect.

I may go with The Greats (I’ll save a good chunk of change here), but maybe it’s worth waiting for the Typo.

If I go with The Greats I’m thinking the 154 as the slightly shorter board is probably better for me as a novice. Does that sound about right?

Yes and no. It depends on a number of factors. Riding style, location/conditions etc. 170lb converts to 77kg (thanks, Google). If it were me, I’d go for at least the 156. I’m 66kg and I ride the 154 to give you an idea. Shorter might be more manoeuvrable, but this is at the sacrifice of stability, edging performance, and float in powder. Good technique can overcome the slight decrease in manoeuvrability quite easily. 156 isn’t “big” for you by any means, especially considering where you’re riding and your desire for more all-mountain versatility. This board will last you a while, and you’d be surprised how quickly you will progress past the novice stage — think about this more as a long term purchase. Just my advice.

In regards to 2015 vs 2016… this was the one year where most of the YES boards received a major overhaul. In fact, many of the boards were retooled from scratch — new factory and everything. The 2015 vs 2016 Greats is a completely different board, as an example. If there was one time to wait for the new boards, this might be it. Food for thought. wink

That helps a lot. I’ll probably wait and get the Typo once it’s available here. Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

No worries! That’s what we’re here for. cheese

Based on what type of ridin you’ve told us, I’d definitely go the bigger size no matter what board ya get!!!!!

I agree with the 156 option however I’m heavier than you and get away with the 154 in park and on groomers easily and can still ride pow with it (not easily) if I need to.

My board is the 2016 Jackpot and it’s an awesome board. Has a decent stiffness and great pop and the underbite edges are great at holding an edge even on icy terrain.

The greats is practically the same board but with asym. So honestly I’d go with the one that has the better graphic or better price unless you are really loving that asym tech.

Asym really comes into play if you’re a rider that wants to ride equal amounts of time goin both ways!!!!! Regular & Switch that is!!!!! (Not that there’s anything wrong with that)

And also bindings setup as true Duck!!!!!

Thanks for all the help! I think I’m going to wait and get 2016 Typo when they come in to a nearby shop.

thumbsup

Good choice.

As previously said before, if you’re into charging down the slopes and more freeriding, then you’ll want a longer board for stability and pow float.

You’re gonna be thankful for that if you’re not a park rat.
Doesn’t mean you can’t lap the park once or twice or go on a pipe.
Bottom line is rider skills determine what you can do on any board, just that certain boards make things a little easier…

Hi Nutwarrior, I weigh about 77kg and am riding a 159 Yes PYL. It depends on what you will be doing with it, and how quickly you progress. My board range is from 157 to 161. My next purchase will be a 161 Rossignol XV Magtek.