The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Fractured elbow

So I went to Buller last Friday and on the last run home, the nose of my board caught an edge and slammed my elbow onto some hard ice, was pretty damn painful. Anyway I’m currently in a half cast, thing that I’m shattered about the most is I have a trip planned to Falls Creek on the 2nd of August for a week…
I guess my stupid question is, do I have a shot of concrete and harden up and go anyway even though the docs have advised me of a 6 week recovery OR do I put my pride aside and let it fully heal before I go boarding again? I’m so shattered this happened :(

PS. This is my first ever broken/fractured bone.

Hmmm complete cast and I would say go for it.

Half cast and you risk doing further damage.

Also am assuming your elbow is in a locked position? Not sure how that will affect your balance/riding.

They’re going to look at putting my elbow in a brace in a weeks time to allow some movement. Any recommendations on elbow pads?

My suggestion would be 187 Killer Pads. They make some of the best skateboard pads in the business.

^ +1 assuming you want to go still.

The 2nd question would be .... how likely are you to fall? If you’re a noob then I would advise caution, but otherwise that nose catch is prolly just a freak accident can happen to anyone.

As frustrating as it is for you, my advise would be to let it heal. 100%!!! You want proper bone union otherwise you risk many other issues. I’d even stay off the ice until you have full movement back, are pain free and have re gained any loss of strength as well. The dangers of returning too early are not good! Especially with the elbow. Any other questions? Please let me know. All the best.

I would say I’m an intermediate rider, I still fall here and there. The date where I plan on going back will mark the 6 week mark of the fracture. So my thought process is it that 6 weeks (doc said 6 week recovery) should have given my elbow enough time to heal but yeah probably won’t have the full range of movement and strength back in my elbow…
I will look into those pads cheers Jez!

First up, Becky is spot on about elbows being a bit different to a long bone break.  It’s a functional joint, and you don’t want to lose that movement. 
BUT….

grunge - 25 July 2015 01:00 AM

^ +1 assuming you want to go still.

The 2nd question would be .... how likely are you to fall? If you’re a noob then I would advise caution, but otherwise that nose catch is prolly just a freak accident can happen to anyone.

^ very important^

Franchise - 25 July 2015 10:18 AM

I would say I’m an intermediate rider, I still fall here and there. The date where I plan on going back will mark the 6 week mark of the fracture. So my thought process is it that 6 weeks (doc said 6 week recovery) should have given my elbow enough time to heal but yeah probably won’t have the full range of movement and strength back in my elbow…
I will look into those pads cheers Jez!

^and seems you’ll be pretty well healed by then^

I was riding 3 weeks post radial break, in a thermoplastic removable cast.
I put a bright warm footless sock leg warmer thing underneath the cast to keep me from freezing and provide some padding for snow activities.  But I rode well within my limits and didn’t fall at all, and was confident I could do so.  I rode up a tbar, and attempted playing in the park (it was BoardABC weekend) but felt it was too risky after a very nervous pass through.  So it was back to the chairlifts and no jumps wink

Play it by ear.
If you feel pretty good and your doc/physio think you are pretty healed, go - be careful - ride in a cast!
Be aware though you’ll end up with a really sore neck/shoulder because you’ll be ‘on’ protecting that arm.  It took me by surprise.  Needed a trip to the massage place when i got back!

Good luck!  Heal fast!

Becky - 25 July 2015 09:12 AM

As frustrating as it is for you, my advise would be to let it heal. 100%!!! You want proper bone union otherwise you risk many other issues. I’d even stay off the ice until you have full movement back, are pain free and have re gained any loss of strength as well. The dangers of returning too early are not good! Especially with the elbow. Any other questions? Please let me know. All the best.

Yup can agree with this 100%. Any injury I’ve sustained over the years i let heal to 100%. Non of this “she’ll be right” or “harden the eff up”

Injurys are no joke. Don’t mess around with them. Let it heal till its come completely good. Don’t risk further damage smile

Thanks alot for all your advice guys! Just been to my doctor and had my two week check up and now currently in an elbow hinge brace but its healing well and he did say I should be okay to board when I go up but just to either wear the brace or an elbow pad! Happy days :D